Author Topic: Royce 5'9 talks about "Death is Certain", beef with Kanye West.. ?  (Read 262 times)

Jome

Royce Da 5'9 ~ Make It Count

There was beef cooking in Rock City. After publicized battle records between Royce Da 5’9 and D-12 came out someone eventually got hurt. One of Royce’s crew got jumped in a club. Things were about to be taken a lot further. Enough was enough…It was time to lock down the studio and concentrate on business.

I got in touch with Royce late one Friday night, in Detroit for a late night interview and preview of his new mix tape. After some minor setbacks Big Lou and I got there around 1am. Royce is notorius for all night sessions with his crew. He was there ten deep, after 3 sweets Los’s beats made the night complete. After previewing most of his banging mix tape, and a few healthy doses of Bacardi Limon, we got right to business…

One 1X Tyme: So what project are you working on now?

Royce: [I’m] working on the mix tape right now. It’s called the M.I.C. [Make It Count] mix tape. I’m working on my album, it’s called “Death is Certain”. It comes out in February. In the meantime, I just wanna keep doin sh*&…just to reintroduce myself, ya’know what I’m saying. Keep the buzz going. Like I kind of dropped off the scene for a minute, which I did on purpose.

One 1X Tyme: Why did you do it on purpose?

Royce: Well, it was a lot of sh*& going on. Mainly in Detroit, it was a lot of heat around me. I was in a lot of beef and sh%*. I ran into a lot of jealousy in my city. A lot of envy, a lot of muphkas deciding that they wanna man up on me, so I kind of had to get out of the scene to stay out of trouble. I had to use my brain. I can go out and try to go against everybody, and I felt like everybody was against me. Either I’ma do something against somebody or somebody’s gonna do it to me. Which is a lose/lose situation.

So I just kept my ass at home and in the studio. Which turned out to be the best method for me, cause now I’ve got like a zillion songs! That’s what gave me the idea to just start doing the mix tape sh*^! In between albums just like never stop. Ya’know’em sayin, like my man Busta. In between albums, you hear him on a lot of peoples sh*^. It ain’t about money; he’s just trying to keep his name out there. So I’m just trying to be on some smart MC sh*^.

One 1X Tyme: This is a new mix tape, but you had one out before…

Royce: That was called Build and Destroy. That one is not as extreme as this one. This mix tape is so crazy it’s almost like an album. Even though I’ve got freestyles over other peoples beats, we’ve got actual songs in between, we just record and record. The Build and Destroy cd was actually just songs that we were sitting on that we weren’t gonna use on nothing. We figured why not just put’em out. This one is more fresh and new.

One 1X Tyme: I know you have your crew, D-Elite, is this a project to bring them out?

Royce: I want them to hit the underground first. I want them to come up, organically, not truly through me. I don’t want they sh*^ to depend on my fame or my success. I don’t want it to be “Oh Royce Da 5’9 sold a million records…and here’s his crew!” I want them to get a buzz for themselves. We gonna keep hitting with the mix tapes until it’s time. The public will let us know who they wanna hear out the crew, and that’s who’s album we’re gonna do.

One 1X Tyme: So what’s the overall agenda? Are you gonna let the mix tape ride till the album?

Royce: We gonna keep doing more sh*^. I’ma keep doing freestyles every week. I’ma go harder now than I’ve ever gone. This is like my third time around. This time around I’ma do triple what I did the other two times cause I know more, and I’m doing it not just as an artist, but as an executive.

As far as the Death is Certain album, it’s been done. I finished that album in like three weeks. My man Los [producer] came into town, and I just really had a lot of sh*^ to get off of my chest. It’s real morbid, no flashy punchlines. It’s timeless. It’s something you can listen to ten years from now, and be like that’s good music. I ain’t in to the fad rap like, catchy punch lines that fade out. Like Canibus, once his style faded out, he could never come back again. You can’t come back as a different person. That’s why you got artists like Pac, you can listen to his album to this day, and he didn’t get into that punch line sh*^ , he just said what was on his mind. That’s what I did with my album. I save the punch lines for the mix tapes, that’s throw away sh*^.

One 1X Tyme: I always remember you being know for the punchlines…

Royce: They still punchlines, but they’re not the faddish ones. Some people will say a punchline and it’s like timeless. But some people will say a punchline and it’s like Used Jeans…you remember USED JEANS?

One 1X Tyme: Yeaaaaman [laughter throughout the room]

Royce: Faddish like “I’ll stick my d^ck in your ear, so f^k what ya heard!” That would have been ill in like ’97. You can’t say that now, that’s what I call a faddish punchline. Somebody who would say something like that then would have been considered lyrical, now they’d be called corny… You do metaphors when your gleeful. I wasn’t happy on this album.

One 1X Tyme: Content wise, what was your mindset when you walked into this album project?

Royce: I had the whole album mapped out in my head. Death is Certain, I had that before I wrote the first record. The whole album is about my second time around in the rap game, I felt like I died. I felt like I was murdered by my circumstances. Not knowing what I was doing, depending on the label too much. Then my sh^t didn’t come out. I got flip flopped around. I felt like I was too nice for this. I’m seeing muph^kas, Pharell, Slim, Dre’, I’ve set and watch so many muph^kas get super rich, who tell me I’m ill. They tell me “You sick, what’s goin on with the label?” That sh^t was like death for me.

I call it Death is Certain because it’s not like the actual death like somebody killing somebody, that’s one aspect of it. But you can die in your career. It’s basically saying what goes around comes around. You can be here today and gone tomorrow. That’s death, it’s certain.

Royce Da 5'9 ~ Make It Count Part 2

One 1X Tyme: Could you explain exactly what happened with your label situation?

Royce: I was signed to Tommy Boy. I left Tommy Boy, then I started f^&in with Game. I hooked up with Game, then Game got their label deal through Columbia. So I was on Columbia/Game. Then the album didn’t come out. Then Koch stepped up to the plate and said we’ll put the f%^in album out, we’re a smaller label; we’ll take the chance. So they worked out a deal with Columbia, and they had some crazy ass point situation going on between the two of them. Just juggling my life around! Koch started acting unsure. I didn’t know if they thought it was gonna be more…I’m at about 90,000 [units sold] for the Rock City album. It came out way, way, way after it should have come out.

One 1X Tyme: So, what label are you on now?

Royce: I’m still on Columbia.

One 1X Tyme: So how does Make It Count come in to play?

Royce: Make It Count has nothing to do with them. Make It Count is my sh^t that I’m starting out, just me, off me learning. It’s starting off of the ground right now, we don’t have a label deal, or nothing like that. But we’re about to start putting our mix tapes out through our own label. Then once we get the label deal, it’ll be Make It Count, slash, whoever’s lucky enough.

One 1X Tyme: Okay, so Death Is Certain is coming out on Koch, then what?

Royce: I’m a free agent. I’M A FREE AGENT LABELS!

One 1X Tyme: Can you speak on the Funkmaster Flex situation as far as beef?

Royce: I said “Funk Flex dropping bombs till he damages thumbs/ Have clue going woooo/ till he damages lungs…” I should have went in and punched it over, cause it sounded like I said f*^k flex! What do I stand to gain by dissing Funkmaster Flex!! I met both of’em, and I speak whether they speak to me or not. I respect them, I know that they’ve got a position in the game, and they some ni&^as that it’s important to know. I’m smart, I’m not the f*^kin dumb artist!

One 1X Tyme: Could you speak on the situation between you and Kanye West?

Royce: Kanye, I met in Miami. We was hanging in Miami and developed a repoire. You know, when he’d come to Detroit, he’d hit me, know’em sayin? You know how when you cool with somebody and ya’ll just happen to lose touch? Cell phone numbers change and sh*t like that? We just hadn’t seen each other. Before we parted ways he had sent me a beat cd. This is before he was “Kanye”, ya’know’em sayin? He sent me the beat cd and I did a song called Heartbeat. I called and told him I two tracked it. I told him if he could put it aside for me I’d get it. But at that time my whole label situation was like in the air. I was just recording sh*t. But I didn’t have money to give him at that time. He was like all right, plus he wanted like 15,000, which I definitely didn’t have. I wasn’t in the position to just walk into Sony and ask for that at that time. So I was like, we working on some sh*t, just hold it for me. It’s one beat, ya’know’em sayin? Kanye can make f*^kin 3 beats a day. That would be like me crying over a verse! I can write a verse ya’know’em sayin, I’m supposed to be a man.

So anyway, I had the song for a long time. I sat on it, I kept recording, and Game leaked it. I hadn’t spoke to Kanye since. Then I read on the internet that he’s supposed to have a problem with me, and he’s like I’ll never give Royce a beat again. Which is fine. You know if you just want to go to that extreme instead of getting at me, at least asking what happened. If that’s the position he wants to take, I can’t get mad at him for it. It is his beat; I didn’t pay him for it. I probably f^&ked up some money for him.

“KANYE IF YOUR LISTENING, I APOLOGIZE!” but it is what it is, the sh^t leaked out, what you want me to do? He sad he’ll never do a beat for me again, I just hope he not one of them mu&*ph*&kas that come crawling back to me when he ain’t selling beats to nobody, and my sh*t is big. I just think that’s fake. I ain’t mad at him or nothing, he’s still cool, if I seem it’s cordial. I just thought that was kind of a cop out. I think that he could talk to me like a man, instead of just assuming that I would go behind his back and play him. I was sitting on the song for like 2 years. Game leaked it, and I don’t even f^*k wit Game no more! Make It Count!

NewJack

• 'G'
Re:Royce 5'9 talks about "Death is Certain", beef with Kanye West.. ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 10:33:14 PM »
I'm gonna get this mixtape ASAP and I cant wait for his album. I'm glad he realizes what Canibus's problem is. The generic punchline style will only get you so far. I'm all for Royce getting into some deeper shit. I like Canibus's new album and all, but other than that and 2000 B.C., I think he really underachieved with the amount of talent he has. Royce seems a little arrogant about himself, so hopefully he has enough to back it up. His album will probably be great, but let's just not hope it's overshadowed by what he says it's gonna be.

The Watcher

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 10:56:15 PM »
he thinks alot of himself, hope he can back it up
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Pink Floyd

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 11:35:50 PM »
I respect him, even though his grammar isn't so great.

NewJack

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 03:17:14 PM »
No offense, but there aren't many English majors in the hip hop industry.

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 04:30:12 PM »
Bis would serve 5'9"...and this is coming from a 5'9" fan, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 07:29:27 PM »
I respect him, even though his grammar isn't so great.
lol

Jome

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 09:46:41 PM »
Bis would serve 5'9"...and this is coming from a 5'9" fan, peace.

I think not..

I think Royce proved with the Em/D12 disses that he's a magnificent battle rapper..
I think Royce would serve Canibus in a one-on-one battle, but Canibus might write a more advanced/lyrical diss-track, even though that usually doesn't settle battles..