Author Topic: Eminem Responds To Source In New Statement  (Read 414 times)

The Watcher

Eminem Responds To Source In New Statement
« on: December 05, 2003, 01:26:47 AM »
Eminem has answered the call of Source founder’s Dave Mays and Raymond “Benzino” Scott to further explain racist comments he made, on a tape that was recorded at least ten years ago.

The tape features the rapper using the word n*gger, when referring to African-American women.

In a statement released today (December 4)Eminem attributed the comments to his age and refuted the magazine’s claim that he was 18-years-old when the tape was made.

Eminem said that the magazine was actually hurting hip-hop, making it easier for the hip-hop community to be divided.

Below is the statement in it’s entirety:

"I did and said a lot of stupid sh*t when I was a kid, but that's part of growing up. The tape of me rapping 15 years ago as a teenager that was recently put out by The Source in no way represents who I was then or who I am today.

In becoming an adult, I've seen what hip-hop and rap music can do to touch millions of people. The music can be truly powerful, and it has helped improve race relations in a very real way. I want to use this negative attack on me as a positive opportunity to show that.

Dave Mays and Benzino are spitting in the face of what hip-hop and rap music have done to promote racial unity. Their attempt to use this old, foolish recording to damage me and, in turn, the positivity that hip-hop promotes is really nothing more than blatant self-promotion for a failing magazine and one man's lifeless music career. They're scared of what can happen if the hip-hop community shows it can live without them.

The methods being used and the poison being spread by The Source make it easier for the enemies of hip-hop and rap culture to divide us. Hip-hop has helped a generation deal with the poverty and prejudice that affect all of us -- whether you come from the projects or from a trailer park.

So while I think common sense tells you not to judge a man by what he may have said when he was a boy, I will say it straight up: I am sorry I said those things when I was 16. And I don't want to let anybody turn this into an opportunity to promote their own bullsh*t agenda."

-- allhiphop

lmao @ "nothing more than blatant self-promotion for a failing magazine and one man's lifeless music career. "
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Eminem Responds To Source In New Statement
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 02:30:16 AM »
em shouldn't even bother wasting his time with the fucking source.

and benzino need to get shot.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 04:38:32 AM »
lol he switches his age kinda often
suspicious..
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:34:33 AM »
True words from Em.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 12:43:25 PM »
suspicious..
yea i noticed too,, lol , i so agree with him

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 07:21:34 PM »
well...the beef between them will never die....cant wait to see whats next......

EastsideLBC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 10:29:00 PM »
Its funny that Benzino is tryin' to get publicity off 50/Em.....look how he is kickin' it wit Ja and shit.....to me homie just out to get his name in the mix......

eNgIeS

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 01:22:45 AM »
I dont think i could've said it better. Em's statement was the 100% truth & anyone that had a brain would realize that The Source isnt on this so called crusade to save hip hop or anything

In fact they have wrecked & ruined hip hop for a LONG TIME

The Source used to the be the shiznit, but since like 1998+ its been all down hill, with the last 2 years being DREADFUL. Rather than a magazine for the true fans, its turned into a money making machine, with 3/4 of the magazine ad's & also "pay us money & props & we will give u a good review"

Does anyone have records on the financial status of The Source over the past few years. I'd be interesting in reading how much revenue they are getting from sale, coz any bets that catergory has gone down over the past few years, & the amount from advertising has probably gone up

To me, if The Source continues with this negative agenda they have going on rather than an unbiased magazine, then they will go out of business

Myself I dont think I have bough a copy of The Source in a few years, which is more because of the horrible state of hip hop, but things like this clouding there magazines just makes me put it back on the shelf before even giving it a proper read.

I give the other ones a more proper look but i think in the past year i have only bought 1 mag (XXL) more because the only shit i hear in hip hop i like is from the cream of the crop (Em, WSCG, Obie, 50 & G-Unit, Jay-Z, Wu, DPG) & even that shit aint as good as the shit from 10 years ago.

REAL RAIDER

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 11:30:45 PM »
suspicious..

he only said he was 16 when he made it the source said he was 18.