Author Topic: Batman Vs Superman  (Read 258 times)

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
Batman Vs Superman
« on: January 03, 2004, 08:10:41 AM »
Director Wolfgang Petersen has become the hottest director in Hollywood this week, by taking on BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN. Yesterday he revealed yet another big detail about the movie - a major character will not be making an appearance - and dispels a casting rumor.

MTV News had the interview:

In what could be the biggest cinematic battle since King Kong wrestled Godzilla in 1962's "Kingukongu tai Gojira," the Caped Crusader will square off against the Man of Steel in "Batman vs. Superman."

"[It's] never happened before," said Wolfgang Petersen, who plans to direct (or is that referee?) the movie. "You had it in some of the comic books, but never on the big screen. They're so different. ... It sets up great material for drama."

Petersen's no stranger to drama, as the German-born director helmed "Air Force One" and "In the Line of Fire." He's now working on a story by "Seven" scribe Andrew Kevin Walker that pits the two iconic heroes against each other during a time of crisis. And though Petersen is reluctant to spill many secrets, he has promised that "Batman vs. Superman" will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin.

"I cannot tell you what really gets them together. I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent," the director said. "Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side.

"The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."

Petersen, who has yet to cast anyone, said he wants serious actors and not action stars to assume the title roles.

"We have a script that really very, very much concentrates on the characters," he said. "It's really material for two great actors."

Though he mentioned Matt Damon in an interview with Variety, Petersen said he only cited the "Bourne Identity" star as an example of what he's talking about - "Someone where we so far did not really think of as a big action hero [who] turned out be a great actor who can also do great action. ... He's one of these kind of guys, but there's a lot of these guys out there."

And a lot of guys, including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney, have previously portrayed Batman on the big screen. Christopher Reeve, of course, played Superman in four well-known films. Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will steer clear of the conventions laid down in each film series, though he admitted some degree of influence from the DC Comics series "World's Finest."

"I love [the Batman and Superman films] very, very much," Petersen said. "Especially in both cases the first two. I saw them over and over again. ... ['Batman vs. Superman'] is part of the lore of the Superman films and the Superman comics and the same with Batman, but it's also different. First of all, the dynamics are different because if they are in one movie together it changes a lot of things and it gives you a new perspective on superheroes. ... You have also the look and feel of Metropolis, the bright golden city, and the feel of Gotham, which is a shadowy, sinister city, in the same movie. This is Superman/Batman of the time after September 11th, also. It takes place in today or tomorrow's world."

"Batman vs. Superman" has long been one of many projects involving the two titans in development at Warner Bros., which owns the rights to all of DC Comics' heroes. The "Superman Lives" project, which had Tim Burton ("Batman"), Nicolas Cage and Kevin Smith ("Clerks") all attached at various times, has long been dormant. But a spokesperson for Darren Aronofsky ("Requiem for a Dream") has confirmed the filmmaker's plans to make "Batman: Year One." There is also a "Catwoman" flick in the works with Ashley Judd in the lead role, and there's talk of a live-action movie based on the "Batman Beyond" cartoon.

Although those movies - as well as other comic-inspired flicks like "Daredevil" and "The Punisher" - have received a boost in the buzz department thanks to the $400 million box office success of "Spider-Man," Petersen said "Batman vs. Superman" will be very different from Tobey Maguire's record-breaking blockbuster.

" 'Spider-Man' has a very sweet and light touch to it and is very romantic with Kirsten Dunst and Tobey," Petersen said. "Ours will be more dramatic. What 'Spider-Man' did quite good was the swinging Spider-Man through New York. Our thing, with Superman flying, will be an unbelievable, amazing new experience that you've never, ever seen before, because it's a long time ago with the 'Superman' films."

Petersen is eyeing a 2004 release for "Batman vs. Superman."

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com

Don Seer

Re:Batman Vs Superman
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 09:51:12 AM »
man if they convert "the dark knight returns" graphic novel into this movie i'll wet myself... fo real... thats hte best comic ever... dark as hell.... batman uses a power suit to fight superman (since he aint that strong..) kinda thing they might fuck up with the to-ing and fro-ing between the two sides tho..

btw.. i'm loving the xmen movies that are comin out.. cant wait for the 3rd now

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 11:30:50 AM »
It sounds like old news, since:

1. They dont have any actors casted or even begun filming, and they expect a 2004 realese?

2. Everybody knows that its Halle Barry that will play Catwoman, and not Ashley Judd.

3. Some time back i read that they stopped this idea, since they had both a Superman and 2 Batman
movies in work.

Peace

« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 11:33:08 AM by NSDogg »
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 01:03:02 PM »
This movie will never happen.  

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »
man if they convert "the dark knight returns" graphic novel into this movie i'll wet myself... fo real... thats hte best comic ever... dark as hell.... batman uses a power suit to fight superman (since he aint that strong..) kinda thing they might fuck up with the to-ing and fro-ing between the two sides tho..

btw.. i'm loving the xmen movies that are comin out.. cant wait for the 3rd now
Man I loved that one. I think I thre them out when I was moving one time...  :(

Do you know if somebody's scanned it or it's on the web somewhere? I'd love to read it again.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 01:35:54 PM by Krayzie-Eyez Killah »

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »
I believe Frank Miller wrote that.  You can buy a reissue of it at nearly any comic book store, it's a masterpiece.  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 02:43:58 PM »
The movie will eventually happen...See what "Freddy vs Jason"did?

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 03:41:58 PM »
I believe Frank Miller wrote that.  You can buy a reissue of it at nearly any comic book store, it's a masterpiece.  

yeah you're right.. i found out too late they did a hard back 10th anniversary copy of it, i'd love that one.

real amazing, i've got 'ronin' by frank miller too, thats tight as well.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 04:23:08 PM »
You realize the significance of the title, right? "The Dark Knight Returns"... ?

The original Batman was created for the time he lived in, and he was what the 30's, 40's, 50's wanted in a comic book, a flashy character who wasn't too violent and put the bad guys in jail.  One of his nicknames was the Dark Knight... it was a great story, probably the greatest superhero comic ever written, along with Superman.

flash forward 50 years later, and Batman was worn slap the hell out, they had done thousands of Batman stories, every story imaginable, he had retired and came back dozens of times, had beaten every criminal dozens of times, had gotten old dozens of times, etc. they had done every story.  Batman badly needed updating, and he kind of represented why comic books sucked at the time, they were a joke, and had a very limited market of young kids.

Frank Miller is a comic genius, he single handedly took on the task, and with one book, totally re-invigorated Batman, without CHANGING anything! That's the amazing thing, he stayed true to the story, and just wrote and drew a better Batman.  

In the book, Batman has retired, and is old, the city has thugs and street gangs over running it, finally, the old Bruce Wayne realizes that the world still needs a hero, and that's where 'The Dark Knight Returns' comes from.  It's also, however, a much larger metaphor, and represents this archaic character created in 1939 returning to ALL, and MORE, of his former glory, with the stroke of 1 man's pen.  With this book, Frank Miller cemented Batman as the greatest super hero of all time... in my opinion, no other character is even close.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 04:24:56 PM »
Oh, and you wanna know what sucks? Look at this police report, lol....

http://www.lapdonline.org/get_involved/stolen_art/files/collectibles/comics/det_batman.htm

Somebody's pissed.  

The Watcher

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 05:21:18 PM »
this is old news

they were talking on following the comic books for this, batman & superman have met like 4 times i think, and batman has won every encounter except for one

they were also going to try and get christian bale to do the batman for this movie and for the batman: intimidation movie coming out, i dunno whats happened with that
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 09:57:45 PM »
Batman & Superman just got finished fighting about 3 months ago in "Batman", Poison Ivy infected Superman and had him kick Batman's ass, lol.  

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 01:01:32 PM »
A lot of people have backed off of making another Superman movie because of the bad luck that a lot of people have had you worked on the first 4 Superman movies.

Trauma-san

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 04:23:22 PM »
^ I don't believe in that shit, i'll work on the movie.  there are many like me around who don't believe in superstition.  I'm too great to fall prey to some bullshit like that, maybe everbody else in the movie would die but I wouldn't.  I'm bad luck-proof.