Author Topic: Death Row Quality vs. Post-Death Row Quality (more on Skandalouz)  (Read 736 times)

bouli77

Re: Death Row Quality vs. Post-Death Row Quality (more on Skandalouz)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
You people need to remember that Daz used musicians too when he was on Death Row. Soopafly, Sean "Barney Rubble" Thomas, Carl "Butch" Small and Ricky Rouse all did work on "Retaliation, Revenge & Get Back". "R.A.W." was mostly Death Row material too, but the booklet doesn't have musicians credited.
daz or dr. dre needs to go find those guys.

yeah a lot of musicians were at their disposal and you can hear it on Nate Dogg's G-Funk Classics especially, Daz's productions on the albums are hella musical, especially If This Were My World, and Scared Of Love on Vol. 1, these songs could be Jazz music.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
It's not just the musicians and the studio but also the creative environment as well.  And this is important to note, beyond beat-making, what makes production so unique and difficult to sometimes break down.  I've never seen production, specifically at a label with million dollar budgets, as being this thing where one producer has this very particular vision and just gets all these musicians and artists to create it for him.  I think with any creative endeavor, you're going to come up with great ideas on the spot and it will be the producer who makes the decision which ones to use and which not to. With Makaveli, it seemed like Pac was starting to venture more into the production side and come with ideas of his own.

Also, with Death Row, it wasn't just that they had all these great musical people and studios at their disposal but they were working with sounds that were still somewhat fresh and exciting to experiment with. You don't have that today because those sounds have been tapped out to  a degree.

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »

But what you need to remember is back in the Deathrow days the studio was actually a STUDIO!

/end thread

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
With Makaveli, it seemed like Pac was starting to venture more into the production side and come with ideas of his own.

I also agree with this, after all none of those producers on Makaveli ever came close to dropping anything like their work on that album. A combination of the wack producers, DR engineers, Pac and probably some session musicians crafted that sound which is why when they go back to one man band status the tracks feel flat.