Author Topic: Another Spin Off Thread  (Read 216 times)

smerlus

Re:Another Spin Off Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 03:17:16 PM »

In my case I hadn't even ever heard of him 'til he signed with Aftermath. I make it a point to know as many West Coast artists as I can. But if you ain't exposed to 'em, why should that be considered "sleepin" on 'em? Anyways, once I heard of the dude I hecked all of his shit out and became a fan. What's wrong with that?
Well what I don't get is, if you "make it a point to know as many West Coast artists" as you can, then how didn't you know who The Game was? He was riding with Get Low(and yes he was riding with them, he was dissing Bleek for them), he had a collab album with Nas(while not really created together, nonetheless had the name Nas on it). He was featured on Telas album. Young Nobles album, too. It's not like he was working with just nobodies. People were just sleeping.

i live in new york and i don't listen to tela or nas and it's hard for me to get underground shit around here....so the Game was unkown to me until he came out with that aftermath mixtape....i'm not hopping on the game bandwagon because he has yet to come out with a cd, but i can see how people could miss him and all of a sudden be on his shit

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 03:30:53 PM »

In my case I hadn't even ever heard of him 'til he signed with Aftermath. I make it a point to know as many West Coast artists as I can. But if you ain't exposed to 'em, why should that be considered "sleepin" on 'em? Anyways, once I heard of the dude I hecked all of his shit out and became a fan. What's wrong with that?
Well what I don't get is, if you "make it a point to know as many West Coast artists" as you can, then how didn't you know who The Game was? He was riding with Get Low(and yes he was riding with them, he was dissing Bleek for them), he had a collab album with Nas(while not really created together, nonetheless had the name Nas on it). He was featured on Telas album. Young Nobles album, too. It's not like he was working with just nobodies. People were just sleeping.

First of all, who is Get Low? I wasn't sleepin, I didnt kno who he was. At the same time, I am from L.A., and I've HEARD of 100s of rappers that I won't kno who is better than who, because most are just average. I first heard of him on one of these sites, like Westcoast2k, and just as with Dirty Birdy and many others, the reason I heard of them first was from seein them on the site. Then my homeboy gave me the mixtape, which I posted on here for everybody else to hear, so when they saw the name people were like "oh yeah I heard of him from (whatever site) lemme peep him to see what he has"

I agree many people do dickride him just because he is with Dre, but most of us hadn't heard of him til then. And usually Dre comes right with talent, so why wouldn't they peep him?

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 03:35:23 PM »
whats hilarious about this thread?

we're so aheadof the curve... most people off the internet have no idea who this cat is... just like with 50 cent... we'll be onto something else when game blows up.. no doubt.

SGV

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2004, 04:14:41 PM »

First of all, who is Get Low? I wasn't sleepin, I didnt kno who he was.

LOL. Who is Get Low? Dogg. Get Low is not a person, it's a label. It's one of the most succesful Independent rap labels ever.

At the same time, I am from L.A.,
I'm from L.A. too. Point?

and I've HEARD of 100s of rappers that I won't kno who is better than who, because most are just average. I first heard of him on one of these sites, like Westcoast2k, and just as with Dirty Birdy and many others, the reason I heard of them first was from seein them on the site. Then my homeboy gave me the mixtape, which I posted on here for everybody else to hear, so when they saw the name people were like "oh yeah I heard of him from (whatever site) lemme peep him to see what he has"
I don't know if you were here, but there were threads about The Game back when QB2 Compton came out. There were outlets for him. People chose to sleep.

I agree many people do dickride him just because he is with Dre, but most of us hadn't heard of him til then. And usually Dre comes right with talent, so why wouldn't they peep him?
It's one thing to decide to peep someone, you don't have to be there from the start. But, if you're just a new fan, don't try to talk down to someone who's been bumping that artist before you. Why? Because they're more familiar with his music.

budsmokeronly

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004, 05:27:56 PM »
I never heard of the game before he was with dre, and I never really heard much about 50 cent either.  I'm not impressed by either rapper.  I never really was a big JT and Get Low records fan, and I still am not that big of one.  To me, I see nothing wrong with people becoming fans of the game or 50 because of affiliation with dre.  Really, there is no big deal.  So what if people haven't heard of an artist before?  Damn, I live in Cali and I never heard of the game before, and look how many foreigners visit this forum.  So imagine how hard it would be for them to hear of the Game.

I first really got into rap from original deathrow rappers such as snoop, daz, kurupt and dre.  Do you realize how many rappers I checked out, due to their affiliation with these guys?  Whether it be one song, or a shitload of them.  I can easily name at least 100 rappers who I became fans of because of their affiliation w/ the og death row inmates.

I mean, its perfect human nature to do this.  Its just like one of your friends becomes friends with someone u never met.  You all hang out together, and you become friends too.  Does the new friend get mad at you for not being friends with him w/o that affiliation?

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 05:30:15 PM »

It's not easy gettin' a grip of the underground West Coast here in Dago like it is in LA. I've known about JT and Get Low, but haven't heard a grip of his stuff. Even being a member of the Siccness.net forums for about a year and a half, I still hadn't heard of The Game.Don't listen to Tela, and don't listen to a lot of Nas even though I'm a pretty big fan of his. Basically, if I haven't heard of him, then it can't be considered sleeping. Now if I had known him, but hadn't bothered to check his shit out, that'd be sleeping.