Author Topic: Lennox Lewis retires  (Read 216 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Lennox Lewis retires
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:10:58 AM »
its been on the cards for a while, best time to go out he is on of the greats

"I say to you gentlemen - and the media - let the next era begin."

Those were the words from Lennox Lewis that hundreds of "gentlemen" and members of the media had expected to hear on assembling at short notice on London's Park Lane.

The venue was the Grosvenor House Hotel and, by common consent, the occasion was Lewis' retirement as WBC heavyweight champion of the world.

But boxing has a habit of throwing out surprises.

And for a few nervous moments it looked possible that a huge U-turn was about to take place.

Don King was in the lobby trying to get the 38-year-old Briton to sign on the line for one last fight, joked one man.

And then proceedings started with the chilling words, "Contrary to what you have been reading in the news. . ."

First of all, I'd like to thank my mum

Lennox Lewis
Boxing greats pay tribute  

As it turned out, the Lewis camp were just teasing us.

Big Lennox duly arrived from behind a curtain in the fittingly-named "Great Hall" to confirm that he was joining boxing greats like Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis in retirement.

Britain's best boxer since flyweight Jimmy Wilde was given a warm reception.

And he bowed out in dignified fashion, giving his backing to the next generation of top-weight brawlers vying for his crown.

"It's been great honour to be the standard bearer for boxing in the last decade," he said.

Contenders for Lewis' crown  
"But Vitali Klitschko, Corrie Sanders and Audley Harrison are great boxers. I look forward to seeing them perform, but I'll probably wish I was in there."

In typical Lennox Lewis style, he paid tribute to the legends of the past, and, in so doing, he justified losses to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman, his only defeats in a 14-year, 44-fight professional career.

"You must lose in order to become great," he said.

"I fell down, but then I got up and brushed myself off.

How does Lewis compare to Ali and the heavyweight greats?  

"Those that go through their careers unbeaten haven't learnt anything. Ali lost, but he went on to become the greatest ever."

Generous in his praise of those around him, Lewis singled out his mother, who is reported to have had a big hand in his retirement.

And he went on to announce his engagement to girlfriend Violet Chung.

"My entourage have helped me become great.

"They helped me to run faster, train better, punch harder and to play chess better."

And with that, Lewis gave himself up to the media scrum.

It was a gracious end to a gracious and emphatic - if not always spectacular - reign.

Lewis becomes only the third heavyweight - after Rocky Marciano and Gene Tunney - to bow out as champion.

But there has already been talk of him donning the gloves again and bookmakers William Hill are quoting odds of 7/2 that he will return to the ring within two years.

On the evidence of this dignified goodbye, we should take him at his word.

Lewis was a great champion and has always been a frank and honest man.

He knows better than to risk his health on a comeback, so we should salute him now for a fantastic career that brought the bang back into British boxing.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Sikotic™

Re:Lennox Lewis retires
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 01:45:51 PM »
I was never a fan of Lennox but I gotta respect the man for dominating the Heavyweight crown for years. Props for all those great fights he's given us and good luck on all his future endevors.

Now my man Vitale can become champ  ;D
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 01:52:09 PM »
He was the shit.. too bad he's retirein' but i guess he's made his money and had a great career.. congrats to Lennox

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 03:06:37 PM »
scary ass motherfucker... he knows he cannot fuck wit klitscho, so he retires before he gets humiliated. snitch-ass.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

bez

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
He had nothing to prove.

COngrats Lennox, u da man niggggur.

eS El Duque

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 08:32:23 PM »
scary ass motherfucker... he knows he cannot fuck wit klitscho, so he retires before he gets humiliated. snitch-ass.

maybe doens't wanna end up like holyfield

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 09:12:17 PM »

Damn straight. But he's a smart man for that. Either way, my Ukrainian homie gets his gold  ;D

THA SAUCE HOUSE

A-Trak

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 11:40:32 PM »
eventhough he's a boring ass boxer to watch. this dude was simply the best for his time. he out-thinked and out-boxed everyone. good for him to retire on top.

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 12:31:03 AM »
eventhough he's a boring ass boxer to watch. this dude was simply the best for his time. he out-thinked and out-boxed everyone. good for him to retire on top.
Agreed.

Diabolical

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 12:46:44 PM »
Agreed.

8)

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 01:45:18 PM »

<-------- I got a good chance against Lennox. Pure muscle.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Diabolical

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 01:55:40 PM »
lol