Author Topic: Those damn Wyoming rednecks  (Read 62 times)

mrtonguetwista

Those damn Wyoming rednecks
« on: February 18, 2004, 12:50:49 PM »
CASPER, Wyo. (AP) - A white supremacist group has circulated fliers questioning a scheduled rap concert, saying the music promotes violence.

The flier, circulated by the local chapter of National Alliance, targets this weekend's performance at the Casper Events Center of rappers Ludacris and Chingy and criticizes efforts by Casper city officials to promote diversity.

The flier also denounces the recent appearance of rapper Mystikal, who was sentenced last month to a six-year prison term for committing sexual battery on his hair stylist.

Mystikal, whose legal name is Michael Tyler, was the featured artist at the Dec. 6 Rap Fest 2003.

The flier states: ``Over a month ago, the city welcomed the rapist rapper Mystikal. Now the city is throwing out the red carpet to welcome yet another black rapper. Why are we allowing this violent diversity to be forced into our city.''

About 2,500 fliers were distributed in Natrona County, said National Alliance Membership Coordinator David Pringle, who's based in Alaska.

Pringle's group despises all rappers - even if they're white - because they promote a ``criminal culture,'' he said.

The flier also criticizes the city of Casper for promoting diversity, singling out Casper Vice Mayor Guy Padgett. The mayor said blaming a whole group for one person's crimes is outrageous.

One of the fliers was left on the porch of Joseph VanLandingham, a black Evansville resident. He said he returned home Saturday evening and tripped over the flier, which was anchored by a sandbag.

``I've been living in Evansville for two years now and this is the first time I've ever had a problem, and this is the first time I've ever heard of the National Alliance,'' VanLandingham said. ``If it's a scare tactic, it's not working. I've dealt with this my whole life.''