Author Topic: The fastest selling game system of all time is...  (Read 174 times)

Trauma-san

The fastest selling game system of all time is...
« on: March 23, 2004, 08:16:39 PM »
The Gameboy Advance SP.  Nintendo's moved 6.5 million units in 1 year, that's more than any other system has done in it's first year.  It still amazes me that people think Nintendo is on it's deathbed.  Even if the gamecube crashes and burns (which it won't, it's outselling X-box, and gaining on the ps2, which is selling less and less each month), they could live off the profits from their gameboys for the next 2 decades.  

What's amazing about the gameboy, is that for years it existed only as a crappy black and white 4 bit (I think?) system.  The vastly superior gamegear was out forever, but never outsold the gameboy, the atari lynx with it's color backlit screen was deepsixed, the sega Nomad, the Turbo graffix express, etc. etc. etc.

They took the simple little 4 bit technology, and released a color adapter for the Super Nintendo that would play the games, and sold a shitload of the adapters.  Then they made the gameboy pocket, since the original was so big, and sold a shitload of  those.  Same exact technology.  Then, they made the gameboy color, with almost the exact same technology, but a color screen on the system.  Sold a shitload of them (I think it's the best selling system of all time, the gameboy color, as far as total sales).  Then, they release the gameboy advance, and sell a whole shitload of systems again, with finally better graphics.  Then they release a backlit version of the gameboy advance, and it's the fastest selling system in the history of videogames.  

It just kind of defies logic that they would move so many units of systems that are almost identical.  

smerlus

Re:The fastest selling game system of all time is...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »
well it's just like a computer fad, there are nerds in my programming class that would easily buy a computer with a 3.2 Ghz processor if they had a 3.0 Ghz one, people like having the next best thing especially when it's compatable with the old version

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:24:01 PM »
if all that is ture den props to nintendo. but the best sellin system ever is PS2

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »
Lets face it, The Nintendo can live off Game Boy forever. They hit the greatest idea ever by redoing the Game boy every so often, first making it pocket size in different colors, then adding color to the screen, the making it more powerful than ever with wide screen. Nintendo's Game Boy wasn't even the best hand held gaming system at first, as the the Turbo Express was able to play home sysyem games on it, and Sega released a hand held system that played Genesis games. But Nintendo reinvented it's self, like all great pop icons do, and now Game Boy will live on as the longest running system to still release games. Over 15 years of Game Boy... Viva Game Boy. (I'm also getting ready to buy one with my next pay check... lol)

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 08:43:33 AM »
well it's just like a computer fad, there are nerds in my programming class that would easily buy a computer with a 3.2 Ghz processor if they had a 3.0 Ghz one, people like having the next best thing especially when it's compatable with the old version

True, true, my dad bought my brother a GBA SP for christmas after I told him I gave him my GBA because it is the new shit :-\
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 08:44:03 AM by Handsome B. Wonderful »

-KIDRENEGADE-

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 08:45:17 AM »
Lets face it, The Nintendo can live off Game Boy forever. They hit the greatest idea ever by redoing the Game boy every so often, first making it pocket size in different colors, then adding color to the screen, the making it more powerful than ever with wide screen. Nintendo's Game Boy wasn't even the best hand held gaming system at first, as the the Turbo Express was able to play home sysyem games on it, and Sega released a hand held system that played Genesis games. But Nintendo reinvented it's self, like all great pop icons do, and now Game Boy will live on as the longest running system to still release games. Over 15 years of Game Boy... Viva Game Boy. (I'm also getting ready to buy one with my next pay check... lol)

And now they got that Nintendo DS thing coming out, hopefully it will be as popular as the advanced! ;D

-KIDRENEGADE-