Author Topic: Ben Sheets' 18K's  (Read 105 times)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ben Sheets' 18K's
« on: May 17, 2004, 02:25:12 PM »
MILWAUKEE -- If Ben Sheets really is not a strikeout pitcher, as he sat there and insisted Sunday evening, he sure pulled off a good impression.
In one of the more dominant performances in the Majors this season, Sheets notched 18 strikeouts in a three hitter, leading the Brewers to a 4-1 win over the Atlanta Braves at Miller Park.

The last Major Leaguer to strike out at least 18 in a game was Arizona's Randy Johnson, who fanned 20 over nine innings of an 11-inning game on May 8, 2001.

With 20,654 fans roaring before every two-strike pitch, Sheets (4-2) struck out the side in the eighth and ninth innings to cap the fourth complete game of his career and help the Brewers (19-18) stay over .500 while avoiding a three-game Braves sweep.

"It kind of made me nervous," Sheets said of the vocal crowd support. "It was awesome. I was kind of emotional out there. I wanted to get it just as bad for them as I wanted to get it for me.

"I'm not a big strikeout guy, so this is all new for me. It's pretty cool, though."..................

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040516&content_id=744916&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

--------------------------------------------------------

Baseball is awesome
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 02:31:11 PM by /\ Javier /\ »

hector

Re:Ben Sheets' 18K's
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 05:47:22 PM »
wow that crazy, who woulda ever thought this guy could throw that good.