6 (28.6%)
Lebron and Carmelo
4 (19%)
Dwayne Wade
0 (0%)
Who are these people??
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Lebron: Rookie of the year or not?  (Read 878 times)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
Re:Lebron: Rookie of the year or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »
lebron was a better all around player...pts/steals/assists/rebounds/block
LEAGUE LEADERS
• Ranks 13th in NBA in Points Per Game (20.9)
• Ranks 10th in NBA in Minutes Per Game (39.5)
• Ranks 3rd among rookies in Assists Per Game (5.9)
• Ranks 13th in NBA in Assists Per Game (5.9)
• Ranks 2nd among rookies in Points Per Game (20.9)

His season-high was 41 points on March 27 against New Jersey made him the youngest player in league history to reach 40 points. James scored at least 30 points 13 times.

James, 19, was only the third rookie in NBA history to average at least 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan.

And the people agree...Lebron James Rookie of The Year :)

ESPN.com news services
LeBron James, the super-hyped phenom who went from high school to the pros and kept the Cleveland Cavaliers in playoff contention until late in the season, has beaten out Carmelo Anthony in voting for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith confirmed Saturday an earlier Bloomberg News report that James will be presented with the award Tuesday.

LeBron James      Carmelo Anthomy
PPG 20.9                      PPG 21.0
RPG 5.5                       RPG 6.1
APG 5.9                       APG 2.8
SPG 1.65                     SPG 1.18
BPG .73                       BPG .50
FG% .417                    FG% .426
FT% .754                    FT% .777
3P% .290                    3P% .322
MPG 39.5                    MPG 36.5

Anthony has more points in less minutes, and a better FG%, FT%, and 3P% (meaning he shoots a lot less than James)...I think the winner is clear.

James gets more steals/blocks/assists...its clear who the winner is.

Anthony gets more Points, Rebounds, and has a better FG%, FT%, and 3%, plus his team made the playoffs in the West. Anthony took a team with 16 wins, and in one year helped them to getting the Nuggets to nearly or over 40 wins and in the playoffs. It's clear who got robbed and that this award is given out based on publicity and not the stats.

eS El Duque

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2004, 12:54:35 PM »
Lebron's team isn't as skilled as Denver, Cleveland traded 4-5 players during the season, that does a lot to a team's chemistry. 1 game out of the playoffs. Cleveland went from 17 wins to 35 (double) this season.

It comes down to who's the more all around player and who had least to work with. Which I believe James is the winner. But no point in arguement from anymore, James won  ;D

Smooth

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 01:32:10 PM »
lebron was a better all around player...pts/steals/assists/rebounds/block
LEAGUE LEADERS
• Ranks 13th in NBA in Points Per Game (20.9)
• Ranks 10th in NBA in Minutes Per Game (39.5)
• Ranks 3rd among rookies in Assists Per Game (5.9)
• Ranks 13th in NBA in Assists Per Game (5.9)
• Ranks 2nd among rookies in Points Per Game (20.9)

His season-high was 41 points on March 27 against New Jersey made him the youngest player in league history to reach 40 points. James scored at least 30 points 13 times.

James, 19, was only the third rookie in NBA history to average at least 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan.

And the people agree...Lebron James Rookie of The Year :)

ESPN.com news services
LeBron James, the super-hyped phenom who went from high school to the pros and kept the Cleveland Cavaliers in playoff contention until late in the season, has beaten out Carmelo Anthony in voting for the NBA's Rookie of the Year award.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith confirmed Saturday an earlier Bloomberg News report that James will be presented with the award Tuesday.

LeBron James      Carmelo Anthomy
PPG 20.9                      PPG 21.0
RPG 5.5                       RPG 6.1
APG 5.9                       APG 2.8
SPG 1.65                     SPG 1.18
BPG .73                       BPG .50
FG% .417                    FG% .426
FT% .754                    FT% .777
3P% .290                    3P% .322
MPG 39.5                    MPG 36.5

Anthony has more points in less minutes, and a better FG%, FT%, and 3P% (meaning he shoots a lot less than James)...I think the winner is clear.

Word up... end of story right there... Mellow's got more all around game + you give him those extra 3 minutes a game and that's gonna round his stats up even more

also like my nucca Represent said... watch out for Chris Bosh aka CB4 next year, he's gonna be tearin the league up no doubt...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 04:23:53 PM »
Lebron's team isn't as skilled as Denver, Cleveland traded 4-5 players during the season, that does a lot to a team's chemistry. 1 game out of the playoffs. Cleveland went from 17 wins to 35 (double) this season.

It comes down to who's the more all around player and who had least to work with. Which I believe James is the winner. But no point in arguement from anymore, James won  ;D

17 to 35? Carmelo took 'em from 16 to 43...Chew on that!

eS El Duque

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 05:17:21 PM »

I know that already, i was just pointing out to frenchie that Lebron James did the same thing with less to work with.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 05:31:28 PM »

I know that already, i was just pointing out to frenchie that Lebron James did the same thing with less to work with.

How did he do the same thing? First off, LeBron was the one who had MORE to work with...Second off, Denver won 8 more games than Cleveland, AND THAT'S IN THE WEST...Teams in the East play other Eastern Conference teams a lot more than they play Western Conference teams, and vice versa...AND WE ALL KNOW THE MAJORITY OF THE EAST BLOWS NUTS...That's all I got to say to you.

eS El Duque

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 08:37:24 AM »
lebron had more to work with? well, thats your opinion :)

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 01:05:30 PM »

Lebron did wrose in the lesser conference. If you can't get your team in the playoffs in the east, that's saying something.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »

Lebron did wrose in the lesser conference. If you can't get your team in the playoffs in the east, that's saying something.

Although this is a pretty valid arguement, you gotta take two things into account. For one, most people were expectin the Cavs to still finish in the end of the league...nobody would have expected them to have been in 6th place in March, even though they slipped from there. Also, even if you say one year doesn't mean much, Melo had already been to the NCAA finals, so he was much more experienced. I know that he would already have much more leadership experience in that one year than Lebron had.

And to anybody sayin Melo averaged "more" points, tell me if you could notice 0.1 points more per game. Also, Lebron wasn't even a good shooter in high school, and people were thinkin he was gonna get like 10-15 points a game and be horrible at field goals, and he got a lot better. And bein a guard, and outta high school, it's kinda expected that he'd have a lotta turnovers.

Now as I said before, I think they shoulda gave them Co-ROY, because there are basically an equal amount of arguements to why each of em should have won the award. I like Lebron's game a lot more, as well as his attitude and his speaking abilities. I think many people voted for him because of all the expectations he overcame versus 100% what he did on the court, which can be good or bad. But personally, it seems like most people who are sayin he definitely shouldn't have won it, and are using every single thing they can to say he shouldn't have won it, are the same people before this season sayin "Lebron is gonna be the biggest bust in history, they overhyped him, he never should have got those big contracts, he's gonna suck, he was sorry in high school, he couldn't shoot good in HS and he is gonna get schooled in the NBA"

eS El Duque

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2004, 04:17:48 PM »

Lebron is only 18 lol..came striaght out of highschool, Carmelo had a t least a year (i think it was only one) of college, so he had experience. But i do see why Carmelo should be rookie of the year...good points on both sides.

But i think that factor that made lebron rookie of the year was, meeting expectations and not breaking becuase of all the hype and pressure.

Lebron got 78 (i think) out of 112 votes. Well, done to Carmelo and Lebron for a great season. ;)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2004, 04:44:33 PM »

Quotes from The French Dibbler.......
Quote from July 22, 2003:
"Lebron is Overrated"
July 23, 2003
"Kobe was more perpared for the NBA. He was more mature and his ego was no where near Lebron, so there's a greater chance of Lebron crashing and blowing up. Anthony will prove that he is the best player in the draft. "
July 14, 2003
"I feel that Anthony should've gone with the 1st pick and that LeBron should've gone to college because even if he was to be at a college like Duke, he would be such a better player having that year with coach K. But he didn't and  I don't think he'll be as good everyone seems to think."
June 26, 2003
"I hope James is a bust. Anthony should've gone 1st or 2nd. "

- Now I see why he finds any possible reason to knock Lebron. He was sayin negative shit about him before he even played. I am not tryin to start any kind of dumb ass net beef, but lemme just ask you...what all do you have against Lebron?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2004, 04:51:53 PM »
I just simply think he was overrated as hell...I seriously think Kareem Rush could have done just as good as LeBron did, if he played on Cleveland this season, and was pushed as hard as LeBron was...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2004, 05:51:23 PM »
LeBron got the title...
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2004, 07:53:54 PM »
I just simply think he was overrated as hell...I seriously think Kareem Rush could have done just as good as LeBron did, if he played on Cleveland this season, and was pushed as hard as LeBron was...

A lot of people said he was overrated. Personally, I think he was overhyped like a maaaaaafucka, but I definitely don't think he was overrated. Nobody even expected him to do this good. Everything they say about him is pretty much true...they didn't say he could shoot as good as Jordan and Carter and pass as good as Magic, they compared his qualities to them and they said he miight become as good as them.

But as far as them pushin Kareem Rush like that...I don't think he would have done as good overall, maybe as far as shootin he could have. But also, Kareem Rush is some years older and had college experience. Kobe is my favorite player, so is Magic, but I don't even think they would have done as good as him if they had the hype and the push that Lebron did in their first year, sayin if Magic had came out of high school instead of college. And many scouts and all said Lebron was the best high school player they had ever seen.

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »

lol Kareem Rush fans are hard to come by, glad to have u on side NIK, wat about his lil' show he put on in Game2?  8)

Carmelo had a more stable environment, whereas James was thrown around, new players added/others traded, yet he still managed those numbers? I prefer Melo, but you can't say LeBron doesnt deserve the award. A draw would of been nice, but for that to happen the votes have to tie exactly, and that is very rare (Hill & JKidd got lucky).