Author Topic: Roy Jones Jr. Knocked Out by Tarver  (Read 572 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re:Roy Jones Jr. Knocked Out by Tarver
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 09:15:21 PM »
He moved up to what? In the entire history of boxing there have only been to prestigious  divisions:

Welter/Middle Weight- La Motta, Robinson, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, De La Hoya.

Heavy Weight- Marciano, Lewis, Ali, Liston, Foreman, Frasier, Tyson, Lennox Lewis.

light heavy weight? what the heel is that? It was division for clowns like Jones not to get there asses kicked. Rocky boxed at about 185 lbs, and he was a Heavy Weight. Why change it for guys like Jones? I'm not even saying he should have been fighting Tyson and Holyfield. If he had dropped to 150-155 and beat guys like De La Hoya, Trinidad, and Mosely, then he would have earned my respect. But name me one competent, good fighter he ever faced. When he fought Hopkins, Hopkins was too young and not fully matured.

Roy Jones started out as a middle weight. Jones just moved up in weight classes once he had beaten everyone in that division. You can't compare Rocky Marciano to Roy Jones because by then there weren't superheavyweigts like Klitschko, and Lewis for Rocky to face. If Jones was to fight Vitali, he would've gotten destoryed. It's not easy for a person to go from 199lbs to 155lbs moron, Jones is built more for increasing his weight and fighting, not decreasing his weight.

Exactly, he started as a middle weight. Which means it wouldn't have been that hard for him to move down to welter or super welter. But he decided to move up, I'll never know why? I truly think he would have gotten more money and better competition moving down.

Jones vs De La Hoya- Big Money (could have multiple bouts)

Jones vs Trinidad- Not too bad money

Jones vs Mosely- very good money (also multiple bouts)

Jones vs Mayorga(if he didn't lose to Spinks)- Great Money (hell of a fight)

Jones vs Spinks- decent money

Jones vs Hopkins rematch- very very great money

If Jones had fought and beaten all these guys then he could have been considered the greatest little man in the history of Boxing, but he chose another path. Pound for Pound? What the hell does that mean anyway?

Nobody expects Jones to beat the really big guys, but I tell ya right now Marciano and Louis would have gotten in that ring with Vitale and by God either oine would have beat him. Jones just has to realize he's not cut out to run with the big boys. And that's that.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "When you come to a fork in the road...Take it"
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 08:28:32 PM »
He moved up to what? In the entire history of boxing there have only been to prestigious  divisions:

Welter/Middle Weight- La Motta, Robinson, Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, De La Hoya.

Heavy Weight- Marciano, Lewis, Ali, Liston, Foreman, Frasier, Tyson, Lennox Lewis.

light heavy weight? what the heel is that? It was division for clowns like Jones not to get there asses kicked. Rocky boxed at about 185 lbs, and he was a Heavy Weight. Why change it for guys like Jones? I'm not even saying he should have been fighting Tyson and Holyfield. If he had dropped to 150-155 and beat guys like De La Hoya, Trinidad, and Mosely, then he would have earned my respect. But name me one competent, good fighter he ever faced. When he fought Hopkins, Hopkins was too young and not fully matured.

Roy Jones started out as a middle weight. Jones just moved up in weight classes once he had beaten everyone in that division. You can't compare Rocky Marciano to Roy Jones because by then there weren't superheavyweigts like Klitschko, and Lewis for Rocky to face. If Jones was to fight Vitali, he would've gotten destoryed. It's not easy for a person to go from 199lbs to 155lbs moron, Jones is built more for increasing his weight and fighting, not decreasing his weight.

Exactly, he started as a middle weight. Which means it wouldn't have been that hard for him to move down to welter or super welter. But he decided to move up, I'll never know why? I truly think he would have gotten more money and better competition moving down.

If Jones had fought and beaten all these guys then he could have been considered the greatest little man in the history of Boxing, but he chose another path. Pound for Pound? What the hell does that mean anyway?

Nobody expects Jones to beat the really big guys, but I tell ya right now Marciano and Louis would have gotten in that ring with Vitale and by God either oine would have beat him. Jones just has to realize he's not cut out to run with the big boys. And that's that.

He started out as a middle wieght and moved up. But thing you don't seem to understand like I said before its not easy moving back down in weight because your body gets used to the extra being there, and Jones hasn't been weatlerweight or middle weight size in a while. If you look at Jones' weight he should be in the cursierweight division.
Maricano wasn't big enough to fight the guys of today. Back in the 50s 185 was a regular weight for heavyweights, but now that weight is in between lightweight and cruiserweight, since the 50s guys have gotten bigger not smaller, that's why the lightess heavyweight is Evander Holyfield at 215.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 09:53:16 PM »

He started out as a middle wieght and moved up. But thing you don't seem to understand like I said before its not easy moving back down in weight because your body gets used to the extra being there, and Jones hasn't been weatlerweight or middle weight size in a while. If you look at Jones' weight he should be in the cursierweight division.
Maricano wasn't big enough to fight the guys of today. Back in the 50s 185 was a regular weight for heavyweights, but now that weight is in between lightweight and cruiserweight, since the 50s guys have gotten bigger not smaller, that's why the lightess heavyweight is Evander Holyfield at 215.

1) I didn't mean Jones should move down now, I meant he never should have moved up in the first place. It's too late now.

2) Don't doubt the Rock my friend. Also you have to understand that if Rocky Marciano grew up in today's system with today's weight training and supplements he wouldn't be 185 lbs, he would have easily been 210 lbs atleast. The same goes for Joe Louis.

I always hate it when people compare the past athletes to the present ones and automaticaally assume goes guys couldn't compete. A star is a star, no matter what. If Ty Cobb played today he'd still be the best. If Bill Russel played today Shaq would have some real trouble. If Sam Snead played today Tiger Woods and friends would have a lot less paychecks. If a Wayne Gretzky played today.....well thats all I need to say about the Great One, and if Joe Louis fought today Vitale would be on the next boat back to Germany (I know he's not German, but he made his name there).

Some idiot actually tried to convince me once that the only reason Babe Ruth had all those home runs was because the average pitcher back then could only throw between 75-80 mph. Let me tell you that if that were the case, he'd have over 2000 home runs instead of 700.

One more thing about old time boxers. If there so much bigger and stronger now then how come no one can punch as hard as a guy from 35 years ago. A guy by the name of George Foreman. In my opinion the toughest guy to ever set foot in the ring. Unbeatable if he wants to be. The Ali fight was fixed.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 07:08:08 AM »
^^^You started the comparing stuff, by comparing Roy Jones with Marciano. You said that Marciano was a heavyweight at 185, than Jones could be a heaveyweight at 199. So you did the same thing you said you hated.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 09:54:45 AM »
^^^You started the comparing stuff, by comparing Roy Jones with Marciano. You said that Marciano was a heavyweight at 185, than Jones could be a heaveyweight at 199. So you did the same thing you said you hated.

What I am trying to imply is that I think Marciano would have been bigger than 185 today, and that I think he really could have been a major Heavy Weight. While Jones is proven that he can'y go with the big boys, and he never will.

Perfection

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 11:23:41 AM »

What I am trying to imply is that I think Marciano would have been bigger than 185 today, and that I think he really could have been a major Heavy Weight. While Jones is proven that he can'y go with the big boys, and he never will.

He's only face one heavyweight and he dominated him. And he's still trying to get fights with Tyson, and Holyfield.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 12:24:30 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said before, I think the whole Ruiz thing was fixed. He was probably told not to throw any hard punches Roy's way. Tyson would only have to hit him twice to take him out for good, and Holyfield is so far gone I think I'd have a chance against him.

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 05:35:42 PM »
Shallow Face it U know Fuck all about Boxing.

U talk about going down weights as if it's Fuck all

Most fighters today strugle making weight 4 there class. And U wanted a guy to go 2 or 3 weights lower then what he really is.
This is just not possible

I go Boxing 3 nights a week Maybe U should go then talk.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 08:46:28 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said before, I don't think he can go down to 150 lbs now, but ten years ago when was about 170 lbs, it would not have been to farfetched.

Tito Ortiz of the UFC walks around at about 230 lbs. but when fight time comes around he drops to 203 lbs. That's 27 lbs. Ken Shamrock used to be 245lbs. but he also dropped to about 205 lbs to fight Tito.

Also Sugar Ray Leonard would move up and down from welter to super middle all the time. Roy Jones is not a naturally big guy, he's got a small frame, which means 150-160 is not a big deal for him. Lennox Lewis on the other hand would have great deal of problems being anything but a heavy weight.

Just beacuse "you" find it hard to lose weight does not mean it's not possible.

eS El Duque

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 08:52:10 PM »
there is gonna be a rematch right? because they're fight series is tied 1-1 ;D

Tarver better give Jones a rematch ..i would like to see a fight this time

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It depends on what "the powers that be" want to happen. If they want to promote Tarver as the new guy in boxing, then don't expect a rematch. Remember when Ali scored one of the biggest upsets in boxing, knocking out Foreman, there was no rematch, ever.

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 03:12:42 AM »
somone post a video clip of this plz :'(

Sikotic™

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 04:36:47 PM »
Jones has been talkin mad shit for years and never had to prove himself. He has never fought a major contender. I give him credit though, he made his career and money off of hype and his mouth. That's my opinion. Now he has to prove that Tarver just got him with a lucky punch by beating him.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE