Author Topic: Baseball > Every other Sport  (Read 903 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re:Baseball > Every other Sport
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2004, 09:27:46 PM »
World Series vs. NBA Finals... World series has DEFINATLY got higher ratings

World Series is only one game...

* Hands NIK a dictionary so he can look up the word "Series"

I was confusing the World Series with the Superbowl... ::) That doesn't change the fact that more people watch basketball though.

Trauma-san

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2004, 09:29:18 PM »
You need to support that statement to prove it's a 'fact'.  Show us some numbers, in my opinion it could go either way.  I haven't watched any basketball games since the strike, and that was years ago, and I even had a pro team in my town, so I really don't know which is watched more anymore.  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2004, 09:34:27 PM »
I read it in a newspaper. if I still had that newspaper, I'd type out the exact words; But I don't...And I knew the World Series wasn't one game. I was about to go back and edit my statement once I gave it thought. But Tom already quoted it, and I was too late...PeACe

JTSimon

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2004, 09:40:47 PM »
Of course baseball is the greatest sport.  It's also a true team sport, you can't carry a baseball team all by yourself.  EVERYBODY has to be talented, or the team won't do well.  There's virtually no way to play baseball selfishly.  You can't hog the ball... you can't try and hotshot and show off, because generally you're either trying to get the ball to another player, or you're the only one involved in the play in the first play (I.E., catching a pop fly, tagging someone out)... so there's no egos and selfishness.  It's a simple game but has complex deep rules with lots of statistics for people who prefer the depth of those aspects of a sport.  Finally, it has a rich history of charismatic players and is buried in the history of our country.  Not as many people watch anymore, but it's still the greatest sport.  Just because people don't realize it doesn't make something less great, it is what it is, you can't change the truth.

Why are teams with the best pitchers always in the playoffs if baseball is such a team sport.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2004, 10:13:06 PM »

Why are teams with the best pitchers always in the playoffs if baseball is such a team sport.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

Dodgers had the BEST pitching last year in baseball....they did not make the playoffs.  Red Sox didnt have the best pitchers, marlins had just a solid rotation.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 10:21:34 PM »

but i can see how having to remember a few pitching styles is much more difficult

this is the statement that made Tom tell you that u cant speak on baseball again.

take ur keys and put them between ur knees and ur waist, drop them, and record the time it took for the keys to reach the floor.  Thats the time a batter has to react to SWING at the ball.  oh yea and the batter also has to deal with the change of the speed.  And its not just realizing what pitch it is.  "Oh its a slider, i can definetly hit this one"  Location, Location, Location also can fuck with a batter

smerlus

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 11:10:16 PM »
You need to support that statement to prove it's a 'fact'.  Show us some numbers, in my opinion it could go either way.  I haven't watched any basketball games since the strike, and that was years ago, and I even had a pro team in my town, so I really don't know which is watched more anymore.  

then support the statement that baseball is the greatests sport with some facts  ;D

smerlus

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 11:14:43 PM »

but i can see how having to remember a few pitching styles is much more difficult

this is the statement that made Tom tell you that u cant speak on baseball again.

take ur keys and put them between ur knees and ur waist, drop them, and record the time it took for the keys to reach the floor.  Thats the time a batter has to react to SWING at the ball.  oh yea and the batter also has to deal with the change of the speed.  And its not just realizing what pitch it is.  "Oh its a slider, i can definetly hit this one"  Location, Location, Location also can fuck with a batter

seeing as the batter pretty much knows where the ball is going (somewhere in front of him) , and that once the pitcher winds up...he's throwing the ball....it's not that big of a science. also the fact that not everyone is hitting homeruns left and right means that luck has a percentage in there... i'm not saying i can do it, but you're making it seem like these batters and performing miracles with every swing....

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »
NBA Finals Ratings for the last two years
2003- 6.4
2002- 10.6

World Series Ratings for the last two years
2003- 13.9
2002- 11.9

seeing as the batter pretty much knows where the ball is going (somewhere in front of him)
yea somewhere in front of him  :-\

smerlus

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2004, 11:29:10 PM »
2003- 6.4
2002- 10.6

2003- 13.9
2002- 11.9

seeing as the batter pretty much knows where the ball is going (somewhere in front of him)

millions more people watch soccer....is that the best sport then?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2004, 11:33:17 PM »
if its not much of a science....why has it been 63 years since a player has hit over .400?  63 years!!!!

so in 10 at bats you manage to get four hits...ur fucken dope.  If ur a QB and u go 4-10 thats not good, if ur a shooter and u go 4-10 ur just doing an ok job.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2004, 11:35:10 PM »
2003- 6.4
2002- 10.6

2003- 13.9
2002- 11.9

millions more people watch soccer....is that the best sport then?

i posted that for the poeple that said basketball gets more ratings. Soccer is one of the best sports...along with baseball

smerlus

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2004, 11:36:21 PM »
if its not much of a science....why has it been 63 years since a player has hit over .400?  63 years!!!!

so in 10 at bats you manage to get four hits...ur fucken dope.  If ur a QB and u go 4-10 thats not good, if ur a shooter and u go 4-10 ur just doing an ok job.

so what you're saying is people expect better from other sports and if you don't do too good in baseball, you're awesome.....sounds good to me

smerlus

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2004, 11:38:35 PM »
still waiting for the facts that makes baseball the best sport

so far you can't count viewers, fans, athletes, time of actual gameplay....

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2004, 11:45:40 PM »

so what you're saying is people expect better from other sports and if you don't do too good in baseball, you're awesome.....sounds good to me

You told me its easy to hit
I give you facts how its not easy to hit
those numbers i gave show you how hard it is to hit compared to how hard it is to make a shot or make a complete pass.

History of the game makes it better.

during one of first games Jackie Robinson played , he reached  first base while racial slurs are yelled at him from the stands...and the white first baseman gives him a hug.  Thats just something else right there.