Author Topic: One thing I hate about Bay Area rap  (Read 411 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

One thing I hate about Bay Area rap
« on: June 05, 2004, 05:21:37 PM »
Why do a large quantity of them have those corny ass basslines, that sound like a computer blip, or someone farting or some shit like that. Like the bass in that Yukmouth - Cali G's track, it just puts me off the whole track. Now I realise the entire Bay Area doesn't have that type of bass, but it has started to annoy me when every Bay Area track that gets suggested to me to download has one of these corny ass basslines. Anyone else notice this shit?

mr5502

Re:One thing I hate about Bay Area rap
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »
I believe the independant scene in the BAY is so big, everyone and anyone has a CD in stores, pressed or sold via the net. That leads to Quantity before Quality. . .

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 08:35:50 PM »
Why do a large quantity of them have those corny ass basslines, that sound like a computer blip, or someone farting or some shit like that. Like the bass in that Yukmouth - Cali G's track, it just puts me off the whole track. Now I realise the entire Bay Area doesn't have that type of bass, but it has started to annoy me when every Bay Area track that gets suggested to me to download has one of these corny ass basslines. Anyone else notice this shit?

I know the bass you mean, and personally, I love that shit.  That's a classic westcoast bass.  It's funky.

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 12:48:25 AM »
I agree with Adon.  That's a west coast thing and if people didn't like it don't you think they would stop making music like that.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 02:27:49 AM »

I know the bass you mean, and personally, I love that shit.  That's a classic westcoast bass.  It's funky.

Yeah, I guess I'm just someone who prefers more of a Warren G, DJ Quik type bassline, where the bass is a lot deeper. The farting bassline just annoys the hell out of me.

hector

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 10:58:03 AM »

Yeah, I guess I'm just someone who prefers more of a Warren G, DJ Quik type bassline, where the bass is a lot deeper. The farting bassline just annoys the hell out of me.

I don't understand what you mean, but nothing in the song Cali G'z bothers me.

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 11:03:46 AM »
I know what you mean...but I like both type of basslines (Warren G-type-of-bass & Bay Area).

SGV

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 11:08:19 AM »
A lot of Swap Meet L.A. Rappers use those basslines. Sometimes I feel em(if Bosko did it or something), but other times I don't. Depends on my mood.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 12:11:53 PM »
I know what you talkin about, the bass that sounds like some early 90s non-g-funk gangsta rap. Yeah it is a bit annoying sometimes but its coo sometimes too. Daz used to use it on a lot of his shit before 2001.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 12:18:20 PM »
It's called the Saw Bass and there are many different variations of it. Like DFX, Q bass and all that bullshit......That shit is the original west coast bass, started in the 80s....before your NWAs and all that, there was the bay area shit and when U see the bass being used today, it's tribute to the originality....and ofcourse because it still sounds tite if it's used right....but if I had to pick, a deeper bass is still cleaner to me....and I don't label shit like that...."The Bay Area Bass", what is that? It's ol skool WEST COAST bass....

I believe the independant scene in the BAY is so big, everyone and anyone has a CD in stores, pressed or sold via the net. That leads to Quantity before Quality.

hmmm, I dunno....maybe so, depends how U look at it, but our game over here is unfuckwitable. It's survival of the fittest because everyone has that bay game, everyone knows how 2 make a name for themselves, everyone knows how 2 make money, so it's a hard game to play, U need to be a real player to survive. And trust me, there's a WHOLE LOT that don't make it past the 1st base. U don't have to be on a major to be successful out here. I'll show U rappers U ain't NEVER heard of riding on 26s with this rap money. It's so easy to be WACK out here, because the buffet line is huge. So when I talk about someone having respect out here, please believe it's a HARD EARNED one.

The bay game can't be faded. If we used our promotional strategies out here in other cities, we'd rule the bitch. Baby Bash was smart for that one, no one else has the will power to leave everything and move to another city like that, but if they do, best believe U gone see another bay video on Mtv.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:19:59 PM by RODZILLA is BAY AREA Hip Hop »

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 02:59:44 PM »
I wasn't really labelling it Bay Area bass, I'm just saying that most of the tracks I have recently heard from the bay seem to have that bassline. I just think that at times it sounds a bit amateur.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 03:46:22 PM »
yeah, it definitely ain't just bay area, but on bay area records u hear it more than on others (or at least goin from the records i have heard)...at times i like it, sumtimes i don't, it depends. But if u do it right it don't sound amateur IMO

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 03:49:27 PM »
I wasn't really labelling it Bay Area bass, I'm just saying that most of the tracks I have recently heard from the bay seem to have that bassline. I just think that at times it sounds a bit amateur.

You mean the synth bass like on E-40's Lt. Roast-A-Botch? You need subs to really appreciate it. I didn't really like alot of Bay Area rap until I heard it some 12"s a few years ago.

mauzip

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 03:15:51 AM »
I have to be in the mood for it to listen to that kind of songs, but if I'm not I can always put something else on :)