Author Topic: Snoop Dogg stars in his own game  (Read 255 times)

smerlus

Snoop Dogg stars in his own game
« on: June 12, 2004, 12:11:52 AM »
now you Snoop Dogg fans can say you beat Snoop without the usual "off to" words following beat  ;D

Snoop Dogg Boxing
Go toe-to-toe with the Dogg in this fun, breezy boxer. Sorry, boxizzer

June 11, 2004 - Coming on the heels of SkyZone's recent pugilist Rocky Boxing, Sony Pictures Mobile is taking pop-culture to mat in Snoop Dogg Boxing. Starring the Dogg as the boss boxer in this bizarro world that parodies every rapper from Heavy D to vanilla Ice to 50-Cent.

Features:

Arcade-style boxing

Fight multiple opponents

Take on the Dogg himself

Snoop Dogg Boxing will quickly remind gamers of the seminal Nintendo boxing game, Punch-Out!, but with slightly simplified controls and even more simplified graphics. It's a quick game, suited perfectly for five minute gaming sessions, as the title allows you to save between rounds. If you only have enough time to bash in Miami Ice's peroxide'd mug before moving on the D-Flex, just put the championship into temporary stasis.

Controls are easy to master, as this is a rock 'em-sock 'em style game. Pressing belivers a high punch, while jamming down on the touchpad delivers a body blow. Press left and right to dance, dodging shots, but if you really wanna clean some clocks, double-tap in either direction to throw out a wicked hook.

Snoop Dogg Boxing succeeds for a few reasons. One, it's a fast-moving game. There is no clunky response time. You press up to punch, and your boxer's arm goes flying immediately. And your opponents, who get progressively smarter, react fairly to your shots. If you catch them off-guard, you can deliver a series of devastating punches, effectively halving their health bars.

The game is not best-looking handset title to come through IGN offices, but there are several small touches that we certainly appreciate. For one thing, all of the rapper parodies are good and obvious. For example, Miami Ice possesses the silly hair and face of has-been Vanilla Ice. And the animations are good. When we delivered a body blow to tubby D-Flex, his face puffed up and his eyes bugged out. Little things like that don't take that long to program, but they sure go a long way.

Snoop Dogg Boxing also employs MIDI-ish takes on Snoop Dogg songs between rounds. Hardly dead ringers for the real thing, but any fan will quickly ID the music.
Closing Comments
Snoop Dogg Boxing is a great pop-culture goof that makes excellent use of its source material -- all things Snoop -- and grafts it onto a solid game engine. This wasn't just a cheap, hackjob way to use Snoop's music and likeness. Snoop Dogg Boxing is a complete boxing game that will entertain handset gamers for some time, as they work their way up the ranks to take on the Dogg.

www.IGN.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 12:15:03 AM by smerlus »

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Snoop Dogg stars in his own game
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 12:18:46 AM »
 8)

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 12:29:24 AM »
tight

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

...'BfCfC'...

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Smoke

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 05:58:26 AM »
Snoop Dogg boxing? Damn for me it's already hard to immagine Snoop Dogg being a pimp. But boxing? ::) ;D

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 11:53:43 AM »
They've gotta put Suge in this game! :o ;D
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 12:29:43 PM »
yeah, they casted me for the game also

DAYUM

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 01:12:07 PM »
lol is he as skinny as he is in real life?

naw but it should be tight...

Jome

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 08:22:59 PM »
Hopefully you can only play Snoop in "Training mode", or it's gonna be a sad show.. lol
Hopefully be a good soundtrack though..  8)