Author Topic: Dre's motivation for firing Rakim.... ?  (Read 534 times)

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Dre's motivation for firing Rakim.... ?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 04:48:28 AM »
Young Griff got some points there - the mixtape songs people do aren't about showing off their skills or making good music - it's all about exposure. You gotta keep yourself in the public's eye or they'll forget about you. I dunno what the reason for dropping Ra was (or him leaving by himself), but the fact that he didn't do much to create a buzz for himself is a perfectly logical reason, though I'm sure it's not the only one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 04:48:49 AM by T-Dogg »

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 04:50:25 AM »
They pound out new material every day, but most of it is shit. Rakim is a vet who has proven to be one of the greats.  If Dre can't see how much more talent Rakim has then those dudes then Dre is crazy.  Rakim cares about perfecting his songs and probably doesnt want to rush making them all the time like 50 or Banks.

Peace.

Fair point, but he was signed for over 2 years...how long does it take him to write a song?!?! To be honest, i think Rakim maybe has an overinflated ego, and felt like he didnt have to put in work like 50/G-Unit/Em have been due to his legendary status...obviously i dont know the man but thats something that Dre aint gonna put up with

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

SGV

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004, 06:13:04 AM »
Rakim's album was and still is one of the most anticipated albums by Hip Hop heads, and that's without Mixtapes. I thought ya'll knew. Ask Aftermaths favorite Mag....

Storm

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 07:47:26 AM »
You got to keep your name out there or people will forget about you.  People talk about respect and that artists who have earned success and legendary status shouldn't have to prove themselves.  Any artist of any stature should have to prove themselves time after time, constantly.  When Michael Jordan came back this last time (even though he was past his prime) he had to put in his work to get back into the game.  He hustled to get back into playing shape, He couldn't leave the game for a few years, not stay on his toes and expect to comeback and rule the game.  Rakim is a legend and like Chris, Jome and others said, Rakim has respect from old school heads but all these new listeners don't know what he is about.  He has to be reintroduced to the game, get his name out again, put in his work, get his hustle on again.  Even some of the wackest artists out put in hard work.  

We don't know what really went down between the Dre and Ra so it's hard to put all the pieces together but if two people don't mesh they aren't going to get much done.  

I see what you're saying but if this album actually came out I ensure you Rakim's name would be praised again as a great MC.  But I agree with your second part, Dre and Rakim just probably didnt mesh and that was how it went down.
If tha bitch can't swim, then shes bound to drizzound!

··: O.G Kody™ :··

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 10:05:22 AM »

Could you really imagine Rakim sharing a mixtape with tracks from people like Joe Budden? Don't be silly.

IMO Rakim did not want that kind of exposure. To call Rakim lazy is a joke. Just because a couple of tracks didn't make it into MP3 so you could hear them doesn't mean they didn't hammer out loads of tracks in the studio.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 03:13:33 PM »
i think the simple reason why the album didnt come together was they didnt make something dre and jimmy was looking for.........c'mon man, everyone knows that work ethicc stuff dre talkin about is bullshit when it comes to rakim.......

i guarentee if ra's album was nearly ready or comin out real sick, you would see some short parts of certain tracks or left over tracks being sent to mixtapes....

but mixtapes is fo new artists, not legends like rakim........for me, the album wasnt comin out like they wanted it to, so they decided to split..........

i could go on about this subject forever......but to compare, game, banks n co to ra is unfair........to both sets.

i think they jus fucked up on ra's album, with what they wanted it to be.......his a legend for what he does...dres a legend for what he does..........fuck it.......i'll check ra's album wherever it drops

peace

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 05:01:05 PM »
Rakim's album was and still is one of the most anticipated albums by Hip Hop heads, and that's without Mixtapes. I thought ya'll knew. Ask Aftermaths favorite Mag....

Key word, Hip-Hop Heads...Jome obviously doesn't fit in that category...He was anticipating the new Lloyd Banks album.

Jome

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 06:44:39 PM »

Key word, Hip-Hop Heads...Jome obviously doesn't fit in that category...He was anticipating the new Lloyd Banks album.

Keyword is "Hiphop heads".

TRL-teenagers like yourself probably know by now, Interscope isn't happy with selling records exclusively to hiphop-fans, they want MTV-heads like yourself to buy the album as well.

Take a google-search for Interscope or Aftermath, and you'll find out all about it..  ;)

hector

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 10:16:07 PM »
LMAO @ people thinking that hella people know who rakim is.  Reality check:  He hasn't dropped an album in years, ain't hardly anyone who buys rap music these days knows who he is.  Just cuz he dropped dope albums in the past doesn't mean shit.  Look at DJ Quik, and just about every other veteran on the westcoast.  we got a bunch of lil groupie bitchez buyin rap these days.  they want that gay shit that snoop and 50 cent doez.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 01:23:54 AM »

Keyword is "Hiphop heads".

TRL-teenagers like yourself probably know by now, Interscope isn't happy with selling records exclusively to hiphop-fans, they want MTV-heads like yourself to buy the album as well.

Take a google-search for Interscope or Aftermath, and you'll find out all about it..  ;)

LMFAO@you tryna flip it on me, saying I'm a TRL-teenager...Didn't you say you started listening to rap in '99?...LOLLL, 'nuff said.

Jome

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 04:09:41 AM »
LMFAO@you tryna flip it on me, saying I'm a TRL-teenager...Didn't you say you started listening to rap in '99?...LOLLL, 'nuff said.

No, you're dreaming again, I said 99 was the year when hiphop made a slight comeback, try paying attention instead of getting EVERYTHING twisted!
Early 90's I started, when you was 5-7 years old, nuff said.

And you was the guy boasting about seeing Scott Storch on MTV "all the time".

LMAO @ people thinking that hella people know who rakim is.  Reality check:  He hasn't dropped an album in years, ain't hardly anyone who buys rap music these days knows who he is.

Yup, that's how it is, and that's how it just gon be.

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 11:23:17 AM »
jimmy ivonie

scream it like u mean it pimp skillet 8)

rakim leavin is .. dre not havin control of his aftermath label..he has been punked on everything he has had his hands in..

ruthless he was punked
deathrow he was punked
aftermath he's gettin punked

he's the best producer yea.. but he's the only producer alive today to be able to fill up 3full seasons of punk'd..by himself..it would be waaaaaaaay more entertainin than the  shit ashton shows believe dat...season 1 will be the funniest shit u'd ever see...eazy e had that shit on lock lollll

dre would have did a whollllllllllllle lot of shit with aftermath if he woulda  told jimmy to shut the fuck up and enjoy whats finna come ...thats real there..

and far as mixtapes.. i never enjoyed em...they are the quikest way a artist can become washed up..look at jada.. some of his best shit was said on mixtapes.. album comes.. smh

lil flip- go find every mixtape he ever did...and u will hear all 3 of his albums...be4 they were even made

its others as well..why waste a verse on a bullshit mixtape ..when u can end up puttin ya best shit on ya album..reason why pac is the way he is he never wasted time on a mixtape....same 4 scarface,andre3000,e40,8ball,bun-b be4 pimp c got locked up,kurupt

dpgkingpin

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2004, 11:57:12 AM »
dammit just read the interview with him on www.theformula.com, yall will learn the real reasons from rakims own mouth:

part 1:
http://www.thaformula.com/rakim_-_guess_who's_back_-_day_1.htm

part 2:
http://www.thaformula.com/rakim_-_guess_who's_back_-_day_2.htm

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2004, 04:18:06 PM »
I feel what you're saying SGV, but Dre's prolly looking at is like this:

Hes got artists like 50, Lloyd Banks, Game ect that are working there asses off, making tracks every day, showing up on radio, magazines, tv ect...Creating a buzz for themselves.

And then hes got Rakim, who is a legend in his own right, but Rakim is just sitting around back in New York prolly expecting Dre to just toss him an album full of beats and then hes out.

Now Dre is thinking why am I gonna give dude a) an album full of beats for nothing when dudes b) c) and d) are putting in mad work for my label and not only creating there own buzz, they are creating a buzz for myself aswell.

People (for the most part) who post on this board are knowledged hiphop heads who know about Rakim.  But the majority of people buying albums today (ages say 12-20) dont know shit about Rakim, arent feeling him anymore, or think "wasnt he that guy way back then"...

Now this is no disrespect to Rakim in anyway, but I can understand why his album on Aftermath didnt drop.

I agree completely with what u had to say

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 10:49:56 PM »

No, you're dreaming again, I said 99 was the year when hiphop made a slight comeback, try paying attention instead of getting EVERYTHING twisted!
Early 90's I started, when you was 5-7 years old, nuff said.

And you was the guy boasting about seeing Scott Storch on MTV "all the time".

Early 90's my fucking dick...Don't make me bring up threads now, because I don't feel like searching...And I never said I see Scott Storch on MTV all the time, I just simply said that he's on MTV all the time...PeACe