Author Topic: ABA is expanding with 26 new teams for the 2004-2005 season  (Read 370 times)

Suga Foot

2004-2005 Expansion Teams

1.  Pittsburgh, PA
   2.  Portland, OR
   3.  Little Rock, AR
   4.  Louisville, KY
   5.  Nashville, TN
   6.  Gwinnett, GA
   7.  Vancouver, BC
   8.  Reno, NV
   9.  Detroit, MI
   10. Utah
   11. Mahwah, NJ
   12. Charlotte, NC
   13. Boston, MA
   14. Jacksonville, FL
   15. Cincinnati, OH
   16. Maryland
   17. Pensacola, FL
   18. Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
   19. Fort Worth, TX
   20. Harlem, NY
   21. Oklahoma City, OK
   22. Bakersfield, CA
   23. St. Louis, MO
   24. Native America (Albuquerque)
   25. Inland Empire (Ontario, CA)
   26. Los Angeles, CA

I was reading in the paper and they said that the Vancouver team will be made up of mostly Chinese players and the games will be broadcast in China with an est.  200 million people watching each game.  Sounds interesting.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: ABA is expanding with 26 new teams for the 2004-2005 season
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 02:49:42 PM »
ABA > NBDL

Suga Foot

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:55:10 PM »
ABA > NBDL

what is the NBDL?

National Basketbal Development League...You haven't heard of it? A lot of players/coaches go to that when teams drop them...They even have commercials for it...LOL

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:04:50 PM »
ABA > NBDL

what is the NBDL?

National Basketbal Development League...You haven't heard of it? A lot of players/coaches go to that when teams drop them...They even have commercials for it...LOL

so it's like a minor league for the NBA?

I'm interested to see if the ABA will become more popular with all these new teams.  I'm a buy a Vancouver jersey as soon as the get a team name, lol.  They'll probably call them the dragons or something.

eS El Duque

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 11:51:17 PM »
ABA > NBDL

what is the NBDL?

I'm interested to see if the ABA will become more popular with all these new teams.  I'm a buy a Vancouver jersey as soon as the get a team name, lol.  They'll probably call them the dragons or something.

same here....this is gonna be sweet

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:56:53 AM »
ABA > NBDL

what is the NBDL?

Yea...ABA and NBDL are basically the same idea...Dennis Rodman was on an ABA team last year (the Long Beach Jam) along with Jannero Pargo (after the Lakers dropped him)...Matt Barnes (now with the Clippers) was on an NBDL team last year as well...They're just leagues for people who aren't good enough to play in the NBA...LOL

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 09:03:55 AM »
NIK, I know you're a big basketball buff so lemme ask you:

From what I understand the ABA and the NBA were started at the same time, and the ABA was initially the bigger organization, do you think the ABA will ever become big again?

And what do you think about the Vancouver team being made up primarily of Chinese players?  I think that's damn wierd.  I mean we have a HUGE number of Chinese people here, but still.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 03:51:46 PM »
The ABA will never get as big as it once was...It will always be a secondary league for people who can't make the NBA; there's no doubting that...Will it become better? Yes, eventually. It will probably be the second best basketball league, and I'm willing to bet a lot of players will be selected to play on NBA teams from the ABA in the future...I think the reason the Vancouver team will be made primarily of Chinese players is because a lot of international players (especially Chinese, now more than ever) want to play in the NBA, but don't get drafted. It's hard to send scouts all around the world to look for players. So they're probably playing in the ABA to gain some American recognition. Then they can make the transition to the NBA once they make a name for themselves...PeACe

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 04:10:14 PM »
wats the cba?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 11:40:27 PM »
Another secondary basketball league...It used to be the biggest one before the NBDL came in...Now the ABA is taking over.

ecrazy

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 12:28:38 AM »
I Dont Really Think The ABA Will Be As Big As THe NBADL in the united states, maybe in Canada & Mexico (in Mexico, They sold out almost Every Game)...But The NBADL Get's Played On NBATV & on ESPN....I think that The ABA Gets The Biggest Airplay on Public Access In Long Beach & Radio.....And the ABA has had so many different team changes and financial problems that they even had to take a year off to recoup and see what to do with the league....I Say That It Might Be Big in other parts of the US where there is no NBA Team or anything (Like IDAHO or Montana Or Sumwhere rural like that).....but not in a place like LA Or Surrounding Areas.....They Already Tried having The LA STARS the first year of the ABA and they flopped, then they Had The So. Cal Surf in Anahiem And they Flopped as well.....now they're coming back with Another LA STARS Team and adding a team in the IE...I Expect both Teams to not Have Good Attendance And I doubt a lot of people would know about them because they dont market the ABA very well....BUT I WILL SUPPORT THE INLAND EMPIRE TEAM TO THE FULLEST........I.E. FO LIFE!!! ;)

ecrazy

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 04:02:07 AM »
JUST ADDED AS AN EXPANSION FRANCHISE:
Calgary ALBERTA CANADA!!!

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/20040701a.html

Just like 5 Min ago they must have updated cuz i went on the site then i refreshed and that poped up