Author Topic: It's so crazy with musicians....  (Read 251 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
It's so crazy with musicians....
« on: August 07, 2004, 12:49:29 PM »
You listen and you forget they're just humans like the rest of us. Rick James, Johnny Cash, Barry White, Ray Charles were all larger than life artists to me and it's crazy when they just....die. They're here one day, gone the next. I read recently David Bowie had to get heart surgery and it just shocks you. Bowie is an artist I love, you never think he's going to slow down. Still releasing albums and touring, but I just thought that could be my Dad. I saw on another forum a picture of Rick James and his son and it's nuts. Here's these people who's music we love, memorize lyrics to, pay money for, and they're just like us. They get sick, have children, and.....die.

Sorry if this isn't the right section, maybe would be more appropriate in Train Of Thought. Just something I'd been thinking about recently which just hit me harder with Rick's death.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Throwback

Re: It's so crazy with musicians....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 01:08:44 PM »
yea excactly. in some sort of way everybody is equal.

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 01:13:14 PM »
I feel ya man. Same with most entertainers. It really is stupid on the fans part but we're all guilty of it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

davida.b.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 01:27:39 PM »
I feel ya man. Same with most entertainers. It really is stupid on the fans part but we're all guilty of it.

so true

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:43:57 PM »
we all connect with these people, we know more about them =than most of us know about our next door neighbor, to hear them die sometimes is th equivalent of a family member passing...hell we even call them by their first name and we may never even meet them.  ITs not the fact that they are bigger than life but more of the fact that wee know so much about them, their liek everyday people to us and that is the shell shock when they pass.

-KIDRENEGADE-

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 05:21:02 PM »
You listen and you forget they're just humans like the rest of us. Rick James, Johnny Cash, Barry White, Ray Charles were all larger than life artists to me and it's crazy when they just....die. They're here one day, gone the next. I read recently David Bowie had to get heart surgery and it just shocks you. Bowie is an artist I love, you never think he's going to slow down. Still releasing albums and touring, but I just thought that could be my Dad. I saw on another forum a picture of Rick James and his son and it's nuts. Here's these people who's music we love, memorize lyrics to, pay money for, and they're just like us. They get sick, have children, and.....die.

I'm feelin u on this one. I get kind of a similar effect when i see people that are like larger than life artists to me live and stand right in front of them. When I saw Mobb Deep recently, Prodigy got off stage and ended up right in front of me and somehow I was like 'damn' because those people you see on TV or you've got on some disc you've paid for usually seem to like, live in a different world and in that moment u realize that as u said they're just like the rest of us. And when u see people dying, getting sick, having accidents etc. it makes u realize that same thing in a way too...kinda weird

Suga Foot

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 06:26:47 PM »
I've been on the other side of the fence for this one.  My family was close to a 'rock star's family (I'm not gonna name him), he died about 5 years ago, it was so wierd seeing all his fans crying, and news cameras everywhere.  It makes it a lot harder to deal with.

hector

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 08:32:01 PM »
yeah its crazy.  especially if you really love the music of that artist.  When 2Pac died, that was the craziest shit for me, because at the time I was so into his music and he had such an influence on me.  And then you just think how you are never gonna hear any new music from that artist ever again.  Right now for me its Tray Deee.  He isn't dead, but he is locked up.  He is my favorite artist.  I've anticipated a solo album from him for damn near 10 years, and now I'm facing reality that I will probably never ever hear it.  Its funny how someone you have never even met in your life can affect you like a good friend.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 04:26:10 PM »

I'm feelin u on this one. I get kind of a similar effect when i see people that are like larger than life artists to me live and stand right in front of them. When I saw Mobb Deep recently, Prodigy got off stage and ended up right in front of me and somehow I was like 'damn' because those people you see on TV or you've got on some disc you've paid for usually seem to like, live in a different world and in that moment u realize that as u said they're just like the rest of us. And when u see people dying, getting sick, having accidents etc. it makes u realize that same thing in a way too...kinda weird

Yeah, I agree.  I've met a ton of famous people and it's just kind of shellshock whenever you realize they're literally HUMAN BEINGS just like we are.  Same problems, same ideas, same everything, it's hard to put into words but I know exactly what you're talking about. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
I've been on the other side of the fence for this one.  My family was close to a 'rock star's family (I'm not gonna name him), he died about 5 years ago, it was so wierd seeing all his fans crying, and news cameras everywhere.  It makes it a lot harder to deal with.

I'll bet it was that dude from INXS