Author Topic: Mobb Deep..."They Can't Stop Us" (Interview)  (Read 93 times)

PLANT

Mobb Deep..."They Can't Stop Us" (Interview)
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:39:49 AM »
http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=6083

Daily Hip-Hop News:
Mobb Deep: "...they can't stop us."
Tuesday - July 27, 2004
by Carl Chery

After four albums with the now defunct Loud Records, Mobb Deep has made a new home with Jive Records. In this exclusive SOHH.com interview, Havoc and Prodigy speak on the album's setbacks and critics.

With "Got It Twisted" burning the airwaves, the M-O-B-B has once again provided heads with a summer banger. Yet, despite the magnitude of the record, the duo's 6th LP was pushed back from its initial June release date.

"The reason why it got pushed back was for our own benefit because we wanted the song to have momentum everywhere so we wanted to make sure everywhere was poppin. It might have been big in New York, but not necessarily everywhere," Havoc told SOHH.com. "We shootin' a new video next week for the new single, a song called 'Real Gangstas' with Lil Jon."

While the Queens duo has handled the bulk of their production in the past, they reached out to several producers to add flavor to this LP. Ironically, Kanye West, who produced Jay-Z's lyrical assault on the rap tandem, "The Takeover," is among the album's producers. The Mobb asserts the diss track didn't prevent them from seeking Kanye's sound.

"Nah, that ain't even come into our minds," Prodigy offered in between bites in the Jive Records' conference room. "We just thought he had some hot beats. We wanted some of that fire."

Shortly after Loud folded, reports surfaced that Mobb Deep was being courted by several labels including Shady Records. Prodigy dismisses the reports as rumors and takes on those who've pigeon-holed them as simply gun-talking emcees.

"I think they're not listening. They're just scratching the surface. We get a little deeper in our albums," P explained. Havoc adds, "Most of the critics... that's their personal opinion. We got a strong fan base so they can't stop us."

Despite pounding out hit-after-hit for Mobb Deep, Havoc has always been one of the game's most slept on producers. Presently, he is enjoying much success courtesy of his work on Jadakiss' "Why." Now after years of in-house production, he's ready to branch out.

"I definitely want to branch out. I was thinking about that the other day. And P encourages me. I felt like that for a long time, but I've always been involved with Mobb Deep," Havoc shared. "But I definitely wanna branch out and do some production for other artists cause it's a good feeling and I like the music. Right now I'm working on a couple of tracks with some other artists."

Mobb Deep's Amerikka's Nightmare, featuring guest spots from Nate Dogg and production from Red Spyda, Lil Jon and Alchemist is in stores August 10th.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 09:42:21 AM by Represent. »

A-Trak

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Mobb Deep..."The Can't Stop Us" (Interview)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:25:24 AM »
thanks. cool interview, I guess kanye's track won't be the 2nd single. can't wait for their album to drop.

Jome

Re: Mobb Deep..."They Can't Stop Us" (Interview)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:06:20 PM »
Sounds promising..
Real Gangstas have a better chance to blow than the Kanye track..

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Mobb Deep..."They Can't Stop Us" (Interview)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 10:14:01 PM »
thanks