Author Topic: KIDD: LAKERS, SPURS or MAVS?  (Read 376 times)

Smoke

KIDD: LAKERS, SPURS or MAVS?
« on: July 31, 2004, 11:18:07 AM »
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks are the three teams that most intrigue Jason Kidd as possible destinations if he demands a trade from the New Jersey Nets, league sources told ESPN.com.

Kidd has expressed interest in moving to each of those teams in the past month, sources said, in the wake of the Nets discarding starters Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles.

Kidd wants out after seeing several teammates leave N.J.

Kidd was on the verge of leaving New Jersey and signing outright with San Antonio in July 2003, but sources indicate that the Spurs -- on top of concerns about Kidd's surgically repaired left knee -- now feel they lack the financial flexibility to bring Kidd in via trade after re-signing Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili and adding Rasho Nesterovic and Brent Barry over the past two summers.

The Lakers, meanwhile, don't appear interested in taking on Kidd's contract, sources said, since a Kidd-Kobe Bryant backcourt partnership would keep L.A. well over the salary cap for the rest of the decade.

One source close to Kidd said there's a belief in the point guard's camp that Dallas' Mark Cuban is the only owner out there who'd be willing to absorb the five years and $90 million-plus left on the deal Kidd signed last summer ... and with Kidd expected to miss the start of the season after microfracture surgery on the 31-year-old's left knee on July 1.

The Mavericks' interest is by no means certain, though. Dallas declined to offer Steve Nash more than $36 million over four guaranteed seasons in part because of fears that the 30-year-old could not physically handle a longer contract, prompting Nash to sign with Phoenix. Re-acquiring Kidd, who was drafted by the Mavericks in 1994, would potentially cost them more long-term than Dallas' recent attempts to trade for Shaquille O'Neal. Kidd would likely have to prove his health to the Mavericks before even a gambler such as Cuban would take that risk.

Yet unlike the Spurs, who presently lack trade-friendly contracts, Dallas and the Lakers have trade assets that could satisfy the apparent cost-cutting intentions of incoming Nets owner Bruce Ratner ... and enough leftover talent on their rosters to contend for the championship after adding Kidd.

The Mavericks can package the expiring contract of former Eastern Conference All-Star forward Antoine Walker and promising swingman Josh Howard in a swap for Kidd. The Lakers have two expiring contracts (Gary Payton and Rick Fox) and more than one inexpensive young player (Kareem Rush and Luke Walton) to offer the Nets if they change course and decide to pursue Kidd.

The bigger unknown is how New Jersey would respond to a trade demand. Ratner could refuse and attempt to rebuild the franchise around Kidd and Richard Jefferson. But it's believed that Kidd has no interest, at his age, in a rebuilding project. As leverage to force a trade, Kidd could attempt to draw out his recovery from knee surgery, increasing the chances that the Nets will struggle early next season and encounter even more trouble than expected attracting fans to Continental Airlines Arena as a Brooklyn-bound lameduck.

Holding off San Antonio to re-sign Kidd last summer was supposed to bring stability to the Nets and cement them as an East power after back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals. New Jersey has instead seen nothing but tumult in the year since, starting with release of Dikembe Mutombo and the failed comeback Alonzo Mourning, the center Kidd urged the Nets to sign. The firing of coach Byron Scott soon followed, in spite of Kidd's season-long knee troubles, and the tumult continued after a brief renaissance under new coach Lawrence Frank, ending with a second-round playoff exit. Since then, the controversial ownership change and Martin's departure in a sign-and-trade with Denver have sparked fears that Kidd will try to force his way out.

NBA commissioner David Stern, who attended Team USA's scrimmage Friday at the University of North Florida, disputes the notion that the Nets are simply dumping assets to cut costs.

"In some ways, I think you now see the Nets following the Denver model," Stern said. "Where you have draft picks and cap room and a key player or two, and you build the team around that over time."

Although Ratner's ownership group has not been formally approved by the league, Stern said he expects the approval in the near future. Stern added that a specially appointed finance committee was likely to vote on Ratner's group by Monday at the latest and then forward their recommendation to the NBA's Board of Governors for final approval.

Damn if he goes to the Lakers for Payton+Fox+a young player!!!! I dont think San Antonio is really interested now (Kidd didnt sign for them last summer, as a FA). And the Mavs, it's possible. They have the money. But i dont think Kidd will really improve them. What i'm anticipating is a possible team with Kidd, Bryant, Odom, Malone and Divac as starters. Damn!!

But i'm just dreaming, i kno. ::)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: KIDD: LAKERS, SPURS or MAVS?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 12:58:32 PM »
lol, it's embarrassing to see the Nets ruined their team in 2-3 weeks.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

pappy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:06:31 PM »
the lakers wont get him for payton, fox, an a young player unless that young player is kobe bryant lol.  which wont happen.  If they got him for payton, fox, an a young player i think you would classify that as rape lol.  But than again rob thorn let K-mart go for a few first round draft picks so you never kno lol.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 01:18:07 PM »
I hope the Lakers don't pick him up...BTW, Fox is retiring.

RXL

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:47:23 PM »

Where'd you hear that?  He's still pretty young

Smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 03:54:59 PM »
The problem with the Lakers is their salary cap. I'd rather give Kidd's salary to a dominant C in 1-2 years. Yao?

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 08:34:50 PM »

I know damn
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 02:05:33 AM »
yeah, i see him goin to Dallas over anyone. I dont really wanna see him on the Spurs anyways.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 05:07:57 PM »
that'd be crazy to see kidd with the lakers , you know kobe will either love it or hate it though. love cuz he'll have someone who'll get him the ball religiously . hate cuz he won't control the ball as much as he wants to.

but like daygo said , it's probably going to be the mavericks or from what i've heard Phoenix

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 02:36:17 AM »
Cuban loves the up and down game....sounds like Kidd to me lol. Thats kinda why i wouldnt wanna see him on the Spurs. They are far more a half court team. And although i do think Kidd is probably the best point in the game...he doesnt impress me THAT much in the half court compared to the open court. LA, is DEFINETELY a half court team....probably even more so then the Spurs (at least last year they were). They are a pretty old team. But trading out Shaq for some younger players might change that...a little. But not enough to add Kidd.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 02:56:02 AM »

Fox said it in the middle of last year...

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 07:04:08 AM »
Kidd is so fuckin old and just had a serious injury.. man, that just sucks!
Walker + Howard + First Round Pick + an enormous salary for Kidd = Too much for a 31 year old lately knee injured dude!
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Smoke

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 07:40:33 AM »
They are three different scenario. San Antonio imo doesnt need Kidd. I mean they already have the most complete roster in the Western Conference, so.. So it's stupid for them to destroy the good team they've built just to get one man. Keep Parker, keep them all. Try to re-sign Horry. Lakers and Mavs are two teams who're frustrated by now, and who needs probably a big name, even if it means to give Nets good players/too much. Mavs are the loosers of this Off Season. And you know, Cuban doesnt like to be a looser, with all the money he can spend. Lakers are already in the process where they've destroyed the team, so for them it's easier now to continue the process to keep Kidd. So if the Spurs get Kidd it's a huge mistake, imo. If the Mavs keep Kidd it's probably a mistake, but Mavs imo will never win a title, with Cuban owner. If the Lakers keep Kidd i understand it, but i still think it's a mistake (it's better to hold a big contract for 2006 or 2007, for a young dominant center. Yao?).