Author Topic: when you think of overrated mc's...  (Read 635 times)

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
Re: when you think of overrated mc's...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 04:54:57 AM »
atm id say banks, his album was naah.. sounded like one of those mixtapes, and every1 is hyping him as best artist of g-unit.

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:19 AM »
50 cent , Lloyd Banks , Game , Jay-Z , Kanye West , Eminem

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 08:53:05 AM »
KRS-ONE - Yes, he's a legend, yes, he's a good MC, but on the mic he is not one of the best ever and he overrates himself by thinkin 1. so & 2. he's in the position to define hiphop and set rules as to how it has to be done, spelt, etc. I don't like him for that and he got sum real die-hard fans

ODB - Nobody would claim he's lyrically good, but except actin like a psycho and living up to his name, this guy ain't done that much. I just think since 94 he didn't have to put much effort into bein liked cause people were just feelin his crazy ass style which don't require alot IMO

Game - Definition of a average MC

Eazy-E - Of course he was extremly important to west coast gangsta hiphop and I'm not tryin to play down his influence...but on the mic he wasn't all that, he didn't have one helluva flow and from what I know he didn't write all his lyrics himself

Common - What comes to (my) mind thinkin of Common is just this whiny, undifferentiated song about hiphop's status quo that was "I Used To Love H.E.R." that people like to praise him for...and i admit it took me a while to realize how unimaginitive i found this song too. Just my opinion, don't hate, but while he might deserve more public attention (he IS a good MC no doubt) many "backpack hiphop" heads are on his nuts waay too much

the only one mentioned i don't really have respect for is Game, all the others are/were dope in their ways, but tend to get dick-ridden

teecee

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 11:43:46 AM »
I think Common is one of the best mc's ever (disregarding that horrible last album) and i am hardly a backpacker!  I bump some spice 1 and throw on some common, its all hiphop.  If common isnt your sound, thats cool, but to me he has got to be one of the most underrated ever.....of course, his impact on hiphop hasn't been what jay or nas have done, so all around i can see your point i guess

as for jay z, i never really started to appreciate him until the black album dropped.   I liked reasonable doubt when it dropped, but NOONe at the time thought it was even close to a classic, just a very good cd with nothing new to bring to the game.  I DO think Blueprint is a classic however, at first i didnt but i see why people think thhat now.   Jay's  catalogue is amazing, perhaps the best ever in rap (and this is coming from a huge nas fan, and former jay z hater for a couple of years)...yeah, jay has released wack cds (blueprint 2 being the best example)  but he dropped so many hits, and had such a huge impact, its hard to say hes overrated, he is probably one mc who would never become irrelevant , could rap til he was 50 and still make hits (and pretty good albums)

as for kanye, he is both overrated and underrated.  some people hate because of all the samples, but how is what he does on the production tip different than what Dre did on songs like Nuthin but a g thang or Lil Ghetto boy (dont get your panties in a knot, dre shits on kanye!)........kanye is actually better on the mic than people give him credit for also, he is like a new millenium warren g, not the best rapper but the way he says his shit combined with his production equals good MUSIC, even if he isnt the most lyrical.  and despite all his bragging, he does have some pretty original and thought provoking songs like Family business and Never let ya down.............right now he is way overexposed, its sad but with the state of the game everyone needs the hottest producer for their disc, and kanye is that man right now. 

Regardless of what u think of kanye, who in the past couple of years has dropped a better all around DEBUT album?  What NEW rapper has gave us a great cd, one that gets critical and COMMERCIAL success? 

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 12:10:33 PM »
I think Common is one of the best mc's ever (disregarding that horrible last album) and i am hardly a backpacker!  I bump some spice 1 and throw on some common, its all hiphop.  If common isnt your sound, thats cool, but to me he has got to be one of the most underrated ever.....of course, his impact on hiphop hasn't been what jay or nas have done, so all around i can see your point i guess

as i said, i think Common is good and as for the word backpacker i can't stand that term anyways, especially cause I'm sumbody who can go from Brotha Lynch Hung straight to Little Brother too if I feel like it...i like common, but i think many people, especially those limiting themselves to the type of hiphop he does, overrate him, "I Used To Love HER" bein my fav example cause that song is lame and overloaded with cliches IMO

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 02:44:10 PM »
2pac was overrated in the sense that some people look up to him like he was a god or some shit, and on the other hand, theres those underground backpacker nerds who think he wasn't any good because he didn't have to spit a whole bunch of big words which don't even make sense in the first place, or because he didn't constantly use similies and metaphors.

common is hardly an overrated mc, if anything, he is still underrated. his wordplay is some of the best ever, he released one classic album, one of the best disses of all time, good lyricist, nice flow, and hes definetly the most improved mc ever. listen to how amateur he sounded on can i borrow a dollar? compared to resurrection. he was like an entirely different mc. even gza didnt make that big of a leap from words of the genius to liquid swords. just for the record, i used to love her is more relevant today than it was in 94.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 02:44:58 PM »
Overrated emcees... hum...

first off, 2Pac is not overrated. His the greatest rapper that ever lived, that's like say Jordan is overrated. Hell, people called Jordan the god of basketball, and Michael Irvin once called Jerry Rice god on cleats... lol. 2Pac was never compared to God, just Jesus... lmao. So in that case, his underrated 'cause he doesn't get the God comparisions... lmao.

Honestly, 'Pac ain't overrated. His style was too different, and he was too lyrical, and had too deep of a message to be overrated.

Kanye is overrated I think on the mic. His not that nice on the mic, but his production is top notch. His the leader of the next generation of top producers. We'll see who follows.

Jada is far from overrated. Who's the best since Biggie's death. You'll know it when Jada says he left. His a great rapper, but he can't put together a classic album, but no one ever said he'd have a classic album.

Now, overrated rappers:

Jay-Z: Up until the Black Album, I wondered why people were on his nutts. He had Reasonable Doubt and Vol.1 and the Blueprint and Black Out. The rest were average or below average (Dynasty, Gift and the Curse) he ended and began his career on top, but the middle was not that great. His lose against Nas, Dynasty, Vol. 3, Blueprint 2. His ups out weigh his downs, but still, his proven to not be as untouchable as people claim.

Crooked I: Ok hear me out. His nice, very nice. But his running out of shit. By the time his album finally comes out, he'll be a typical fuck that bitch westcoast rapper.

50 Cent and G-Unit: I love 50, I love G-Unit. But when Lloyd Banks flopped, I had to say the whole G-Unit 'cause he is built to be their best, and he came softer than pillows. That reflects the whole G-Unit camp. Their big plus, they beat Murder Inc. in a battle, that's like saying you shot a Care Bear. Unless your fucking with Grumpy Bear, you get no props on the streets from that.

Eazy-E: He didn't write his own lyrics, and he didn't know how to keep a beat, he had to be coached by Dr. Dre. Godfather of Gangsta Rap 'cause he really lived the life. But real, and actually being able to rap are two different things. And I love Eazy-E.

Lil' Rob: I love Lil' Rob, but his not as great as people make him out to be. His content doesn't change, his lyrics don't change, half the time his beats don't change.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 02:46:32 PM by M Dogg »

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »
Yea, Eazy e  is overrated because he didn't write his own rhymes. He was the Character type guy tho. Thats what makes him a legend.

Dip Set Movementarian 4 Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2004, 06:23:08 PM »
50, Kanye, Em, B.I.G. and Talib

Montana00

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 06:28:30 PM »
50 cent is the most overated rapper EVER.

He lives off the fact that he got shot. Im getting sick of him saying that just like im getting sick of kerry saying he was a Nam vet.

Jome

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 08:10:35 PM »
But when Lloyd Banks flopped, I had to say the whole G-Unit 'cause he is built to be their best

How is 2 weeks @ #1 on the billboard for a debut album, and platinum after 1 single a flop.. ???

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 08:29:38 PM »
^I knew yo g-g-g-groupie ass was gone say somethin about that
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2004, 08:47:23 PM »
LOL @ Banks flopping.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

pappy

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004, 08:56:38 PM »
banks flopped in the sense he didnt put out the album fans know he is capable of putting out.  sales wise tho,  nah he put up great numbers.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 11:04:14 PM »
banks flopped in the sense he didnt put out the album fans know he is capable of putting out.  sales wise tho,  nah he put up great numbers.

basically, adding to being overrated. People were expecting a tight ass album, and they all bought a weak album with a couple of decent songs. Huge hype, weak album = flop