Author Topic: Olympics Basketball: Puerto Rico 92, United States 73  (Read 1495 times)

ARYC

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Olympics Basketball: Puerto Rico 92, United States 73
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
everyone expects the US to win because they have the best players , but I guess the theme of the year is "team work>individual abilities" , Detroit proved it , Greece proved it and now it's being proven at the expense of the US .

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2004, 11:09:19 PM »
i'm glad they lost i hate almost every player on that team....that ain't no Dream Team. fuck that ain't even    a cat nap team!

Dream team 3 SHOULDA been

C-Shaq
Pf-Duncan
SF-Garnett
Sg-Kobe
pg-Kidd
Pf- Elton Brand
Pg-Iverson
SG-T-mac
Pf/c- J. O'neal
Pf-Ben Wallace
Sg-Vince Carter (just so he can dunk on a 7 foot goof off from france again)
C/PF-Brad miller ( fuck it, dude would fit in well )

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

ecrazy

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2004, 11:13:36 PM »
Anyone See The Argentina vs. Serbia-montenegro Game where Ginobili scored the buzzer beater with his left hand???

eS El Duque

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 12:32:13 AM »
^^yup, the coach or whatever runs like a fag

remember the dream team that averaged a win of 43.5 points a game :)?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2004, 01:10:57 AM »
yeah THAT was a team

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Pippen
Malone
Stockton
Barkley
Drexler
Robinson
Mullen
Miller
oh yeah and we can't forget the MVP of the team....Christian Latener,lol

Hell Dream Team 2 was the Shit too

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 01:15:02 AM »
^^yup, the coach or whatever runs like a fag

remember the dream team that averaged a win of 43.5 points a game :)?

This ain't no dream team...This ain't even All NBA 3rd Team...LOL

Don Seer

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 01:32:51 AM »

you know not very long ago pro athletes (that means who got paid in any way) weren't even allowed to compete in the olympics..

its just like with football, rugby and cricket and us english..  we invented them all.. we took them to our colonies.. now india and pakistan and the west indies routinely whoop our butts at cricket... and although we're on top right now others were kicking our ass at rugby.. and the less said about football the better... lol

its probably good for the US to lose.. because it'll make them realise they have to work, and maybe next time ya'll will bring a stronger team (sounds like ya'll think some people should be there...)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 01:54:57 AM »
its probably good for the US to lose.. because it'll make them realise they have to work, and maybe next time ya'll will bring a stronger team (sounds like ya'll think some people should be there...)

The problem with the US team is that all the players who were selected didn't want to play for one reason or another...Only two players remain from the players originally selected (and one of them isn't even American): Iverson & Duncan...That's why the team is so shitty...LOL.

Smoke

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 03:43:16 AM »
You all understimated Italy's victory. That's wassup. Served. 8)

Don Seer

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 03:53:37 AM »

The problem with the US team is that all the players who were selected didn't want to play for one reason or another...Only two players remain from the players originally selected (and one of them isn't even American): Iverson & Duncan...That's why the team is so shitty...LOL.

i wondered if that was the case.. perhaps next time there will be more pressure for them to play if the US loses.

Smoke

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 04:06:07 AM »
No. Last time USA team played in an international competition they arrived 6th.
They had pressure already.
They just aint Americans enought.
Out.

Don Seer

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 05:57:47 AM »

maybe its just about the money for some of em then..

Smoke

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 06:45:21 AM »
Some of them? Man read this article, please. ESPN.com

[..]It was a little fun the first time in 1992, when we saw perhaps the greatest basketball team of all time play. But it started losing its appeal as soon as the players under the contract of one shoe company used the American flag to cover up the logo of another shoe company. It was a petty act, and it only got worse with each subsequent Olympics.

What is so aggravating is the way the basketball team sets itself apart from the rest of the world's Olympians -- both literally and figuratively. Following in the grand tradition of luxury accommodations, this year's team is staying on the Queen Mary II, anchored outside of town and protected by NATO.

Why shouldn't they? They're not Olympians -- that's beneath them. They're the Dream Team, and they can't be bothered hanging with mere world champions like Paul Hamm and Rulon Gardner. I still remember how the 1996 team marched into the stadium well behind the other U.S. athletes, as if they were their own country, which they probably thought they were. Given the way the U.S. Olympic committee caters to the basketball team's every whim, I was just surprised Li'l Penny wasn't the flagbearer that year.

Now we have Athens, the year the NBA players turned the Olympics into the Pro Bowl. Shaq, KG and about half the league made up reasons why they couldn't play, but the bottom line is they didn't want to play or were too scared to come to Greece. That leaves the U.S. with a team that includes Carlos Boozer and Shawn Marion. This isn't a dream team. It's a Hollywood Squares B list.

After the U.S. lost by 22 to Italy in the prelims, no one should be surprised by a 19-point loss to Puerto Rico. Everyone knew this team couldn't shoot.

The problem isn't Sunday's loss. With the way the game has blossomed around the world, it's no shame for the U.S. to lose to any country in any venue. Puerto Rico guard Larry Ayuso, who dropped 15 on the U.S. on Sunday, is a living example of how basketball is the world's sport. "We're a small island with a big heart,'' he said.

Ayuso was born in Puerto Rico, moved to the Bronx as a child and then was adopted by a family in New Mexico as a teenager. He played basketball for Hank Bibby at USC, had a couple minutes with the Spurs and spent last season with an Istanbul team. He even has a business card: Elias "Larry'' Ayuso, Combo Guard/3 Point Shooter.''

"I hate to see the U.S. lose but I have to root for my little brother,'' said his adopted brother, Domi Taylor. "It's an achievement to beat the U.S. team. I love the NBA -- I'm a big Lakers fan -- but the big problem is the U.S. is not a team.

"They need to get the college players back. At least when they lost, it wasn't an embarrassment. But they looked like they didn't care tonight.''

That's the problem. The players don't care, and the fans don't care anymore, either.

The good news is we can fix this. And we don't need to go back to a collegian-only team or see whether Magic Johnson wants to make another comeback. All we need is one simple rule. And here it is.

Players can make any amount of money. Players can wear any shoe. Players can employ any number of posse members. But if they want to play in the Olympics, they have to stay in the Athletes' Village. If they aren't willing to share a bathroom with their fellow Olympians, if they aren't willing to pluck their hairs from the drains and squeegee the water from around the shower, then the Olympics just don't mean enough to them.

And if they don't, then they shouldn't bother to show up.

Now that basketball is a worldwide sport, the U.S. isn't going to win the gold medal every Olympics. That's OK. But if we can't field a winning team every time out, at least we can field a likable team.

Jim Caple is a senior writer at ESPN.com

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 09:24:52 AM »
saw the 3rd quarter, it was terrible lol, puerto rico controlled totally the game, and usa couldnt make 3pointers, plus who the fuck is boozer, that guy sucked ::)

Smoke

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 10:01:56 AM »
Boozer? Mr. 68m $ man? Man i can list you at least 10 European players who're better than Boozer and who makes max 1m $ a season. This shit  explains everything.