Author Topic: Gary Payton & Rick Fox Traded to Celtics in 5 Player Deal  (Read 787 times)

Smoke

Re: Gary Payton & Rick Fox Traded to Celtics in 5 Player Deal
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 05:12:33 PM »
Admit it? Man I didnt like the trade, i dont like the trade, i dont like version #2 of the trade. But you are saying Ainge fooled Mitch. How come? Right now Fox is a retired player, and Payton phoned Ainge telling him he'll not play for the Celtics (didnt even show up for the physical tests). Ok, Mihm, Jones and Atkins arent great players, but Ainge received just cash and a conditional first round pick for them, till now. If Payton will join them (which i doubts), then they can tie the trade (Payton for them 3 players is still an equal trade IMO. Nobody wins, nobody improves really).

P.S. If Payton retires, Boston cant trade him. And Payton wants to play in L.A. (Clippers? But they dont want him) or Oakland (Fisher just signed there, Golden State doesnt need GP). Or he'll retire. Personally, i think he will. We will see.

Smoke

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2004, 05:16:53 PM »
P.S. A question to people who knows Atkins very well. Is Chucky so worse than last year's Payton? Cause even if Payton goes to Celtics, Lakers replaced him with Atkins (IMO they didnt improve, but they didnt even loose quality: it was a tie, considering Atkins is more motivated and he's 7-8 years younger), and added Mihm as a back-up center, and Jones (probably to be traded soon) in the roster. It's not really dramatical, man. Not wonderful, not brilliant. If they replaced Payton and Fox with a great PG it was a great move. They replaced him with a PG as good as he was last year, plus they've added Mihm, a good back-up center. 2 for 1. Team still aint improved tho.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2004, 05:44:44 PM »
Payton ain't as great as he once was, but he's still definitely a lot better than Atkins, and still has some juice in him...I mean, he was averaging 14 points last season with 3 other hall of famers on the team... That's not too bad, is it?...Lakers lost Payton, Fox, Marcus Banks, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick from Boston, & Cash for Chris Mihm, Chucky Atkins, & Jumain Jones...The way I see it, the part of the trade made Friday kinda' fucked the Lakers over...I mean, it's not TOO bad, but it went from a decent trade to a below decent trade... :-\

eS El Duque

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2004, 07:52:29 PM »
Payton ain't as great as he once was, but he's still definitely a lot better than Atkins, and still has some juice in him...I mean, he was averaging 14 points last season with 3 other hall of famers on the team

Agreed^^^^^^^^^^^

mikeOG

• Quadruple OG
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2004, 11:11:39 PM »
yeah im just kinda mad about how it went down ..im just saying ainge got the better part of the deal, they free up money with payton and fox contract expiring so keep that in mind..it looked like a steal for the lakers with the first trade and now it's even imo..hopefully mihms can develop his game..he was a lottery pick so he some talent. heres the scouting report of the lakers aquired:

Chris Mihm
Height: 7'0
Weight: 265
Position: C can play some PF.
Drafted: 7th pick, 2000
Some good offensive low post moves, effective mid range and hook shots. Good athleticism and can block shots. Good dunker, has not lived up to expectations (7th pick in 2000) Considered soft.

Chucky Atkins
Height: 5'11
Weight: 160
Drafted: Undrafted
Possesses great quickness, and excellent on the fast break. Good shooter. Lack of height hurts him on the defensive end.

jurmaine jones will probably get traded..i really wanted banks tho..just bitter

Smoke

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2004, 04:06:04 AM »
Payton ain't as great as he once was, but he's still definitely a lot better than Atkins, and still has some juice in him...I mean, he was averaging 14 points last season with 3 other hall of famers on the team... That's not too bad, is it?...Lakers lost Payton, Fox, Marcus Banks, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick from Boston, & Cash for Chris Mihm, Chucky Atkins, & Jumain Jones...The way I see it, the part of the trade made Friday kinda' fucked the Lakers over...I mean, it's not TOO bad, but it went from a decent trade to a below decent trade... :-\

Yeah i feel you. The only thing we can say for sure is that Boston aint improved, and Lakers aint improved.

Smoke

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2004, 04:08:05 AM »
i really wanted banks tho..just bitter

Me too man, but since Payton didnt show up for the physical tests, they didnt trade him no more (now Banks will start for Celtics, if Payton will retire). I mean i understand it. Still it's fucked up.