Author Topic: NHL Lockout  (Read 209 times)

eS El Duque

NHL Lockout
« on: September 14, 2004, 08:16:09 PM »
TORONTO -- The inevitable is expected to become official today, when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addresses the media at 2:30 p.m. in Manhattan after meeting with the league's Board of Governors.

It is in this meeting that the Board is expected to vote on a lockout of the NHL's players because the current collective bargaining agreement will expire at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow without a new deal in place.

"Obviously," Team Canada defenseman Wade Redden said yesterday, "tomorrow is D-day."

The league and the players union have not met since talks broke off last Thursday, when the NHL rejected a luxury tax-based counter-proposal from the union. Bettman has been adamant in attaining "cost certainty" (a salary cap) in the next collective bargaining agreement. The union, led by Bob Goodenow, has refused to discuss any proposals that involve principles of a hard cap system.

So today becomes the line-in-the-sand day in these negotiations, which have mostly been a charade of rhetoric over the past few months.

There is a prevailing concern that this lockout will go well past the one Bettman called in 1994, which ended in time to play a shortened schedule of games and the playoffs. This time, there is serious talk of wiping out the entire season just to get the other side to flinch or perhaps reach an impasse.

With that as an alarming possibility, the International Ice Hockey Federation said it wouldn't expect NHL participation in the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy.

"Gary said clearly to me that if there's no 2004-05 NHL season then he cannot take a break for the Olympics the season after," IIHF president Rene Fasel said on Monday.

To all you hockey haters, well, no more hockey for a while  :boohoo:

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: NHL Lockout
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 08:18:11 PM »
 :nahnah:

no im just jokin.. sucks cause flyers were gonna tear it up this year.. oh well.. at least we got football

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:55:03 PM »
  oh well.. at least we got football

Tru Dat
BC Lions=Gray Cup Champs

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 01:29:38 PM »
Oilers :rock: :tosser: :cheers:

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 01:35:25 PM »

Tru Dat
BC Lions=Gray Cup Champs

Yeah Boy!

oh and Fuck Hockey :P

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 01:39:16 PM »
at least if we com back with a shortend season in like january the rangers will win the stanley cup  i can feel it

eS El Duque

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 02:03:39 PM »

Tru Dat
BC Lions=Gray Cup Champs

oh and Fuck Hockey :P

:banana_dsf:

Casey Printers is over-rated -_-