Author Topic: The Dave Chappelle Block Party In NYC feat Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Roots, L-Boogie  (Read 182 times)

On The Edge of Insanity

http://1iota.com/event.aspx?p=0&eid=1147

On August 20, 1972, thousands of people attended a seven-hour concert at the Los Angeles Coliseum. Featuring artists like Isaac Hayes, the Dramatics, The Staple Singers and Rufus Thomas, this extravaganza was called Wattstax, and today is still considered to be a uniquely celebrated moment in American music history.

It was a concert that immortalized not only those who came to perform, but also those who came to witness the event and those who live in neighborhoods like Watts. Wattstax wasn’t just about the music, though. Comedian Richard Pryor served as a master of ceremonies for the event, and his often-hilarious insights and observations are largely responsible for Wattstax’s importance and significance years later.

In September, 2004, a special neighborhood in New York, will host its own version of Wattstax. Organized and conceived by comedian Dave Chappelle, this “block party” will feature artists like Kanye West, Mos Def, Lauryn Hill, Common, Talib Kweli, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Dead Prez and The Roots among others with Dave Chappelle serving as the event’s master of ceremonies.

Rather than staging this event at a traditional venue, the “block party” will take place in the community itself. A stage will be set up on a neighborhood street in Brooklyn as well as the rooftop of a building overlooking the stage.

The concert and the events surrounding the concert will be filmed in a documentary style. This film will establish the importance of the event and capture every aspect of the concert, from the performances on stage to the people attending the neighborhood block party and most importantly the events of the backstage areas as the artists spend time with Dave Chappelle, jam together and participate in the Brooklyn block party.

Holy shit!! Anyone in NYC who can get to this is gonna get one hell of a show.

Throwback

fuckin dope! one of my friends goes to NYC 2morrow, ill give him a call bout this shit..

Sikotic™

I wanna see dead prez live
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
 WTF!!! why dont i know about this shit.. so i can fuckin get to NY!!!

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
hmmm... NM jumped the gun... saw aug 20... :)... september what.. and were i get tickets?

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
its probably a free concert if it is I am going.

Trauma-san

You should change it to

The Dave Chappelle Block Party In NYC feat Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Roots, Ms. Hill

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
Dayum!