Author Topic: Can Wal Mart single handedly lower CD Prices?  (Read 322 times)

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Can Wal Mart single handedly lower CD Prices?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2004, 07:35:32 PM »
Wal Mart can't single handedly lower CD prices because all they carry is the EDITED versions.  If they could stop being such faggots and sell the artists' intended works, maybe they could dominate the market and make CDs cheaper.  But true music fans don't fuck with Wal-Mart.

Why don't you check the bilboard and figure out how many Cds are on there that need to be edited. I counted that less than 20 albums out of 100, carry the Parental Advisory Sign. And if you look at the history of record sales, I don't think any album with explicit lyrics in in the top 25 albums sold. The market for explicit lyrics isn't as big as you claim. True music fans according to you, don't fuck with Wal Mart, but those "true" music fans you speak of probably don't buy albums, any way. They download or buy bootleg. The bottom line is that Wal Mart is such a big part of the consumer market that it has the power to force whole sale prices down.

Besides, I don't what Wal Mart you guys go to, but hte one by my house selld plenty of non edited music, but they have huge Parental advisory stickers over the platsic. Sometimes so big you mcan barely see the album cover. It just doesn't sell Eminem's solo albums. So Eminem may be the one guy who won't have to lower his price, because Wal Mart won't carry his music. What's really odd is they don't have Eminem, but they have a whole bunch of Manson. It can be argued that Wal Mart doesn't make a difference to sales, since Em is the highest selling artist in the past few years, and he isn't at Wal Mart, so I'm not sure how it'll go down. We'll see as it plays out.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you have to say except when you said the Wal-Mart by you has plenty of un-edited cd's. I know for a fact they don't. Peeps here that have been around for a while may know of a guy named Sam Walton. He was the creator of Wal-Mart. Well way back when, my dad used to be a "district manager" for Wal-Mart, so he would basically go around over-see different locations. Anyways, during this time I was lucky enough to meet Sam Walton and have dinner with him a few times (R.I.P.). This was around the time that I was really starting to get into hip-hop so I would always ask him about different things music-wise (I would think he had some kind of super inside-info power lol). I remember asking him about not being able to get an cd's with parental advisories at Wal-Mart (actually very little rap was sold there at this time anyways). He said that he NEVER wants something that the public can associate as being so negative to be associated with this phranchise. He's dead and gone now, and his family runs the company but my father still keeps in contact with the family. I've been told on more then one occasion within the last 2 years or so that because of Sam's wishes, his family will never put "Parental Advisory" cd's in their stores (even though they market hip-hop in there now). I'm bored, so figured I'd lay down some 411 :)

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2004, 07:45:43 PM »
All cds that have PA stickers somewhere else are the edited version at Wal-Mart. Instead of hearing Too Short say "bitch,bitch , bitch make me rich"  you'll hear "girl,girl,girl please get me some money"  lol

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 07:58:28 PM »
Wal Mart can't single handedly lower CD prices because all they carry is the EDITED versions.  If they could stop being such faggots and sell the artists' intended works, maybe they could dominate the market and make CDs cheaper.  But true music fans don't fuck with Wal-Mart.

Why don't you check the bilboard and figure out how many Cds are on there that need to be edited. I counted that less than 20 albums out of 100, carry the Parental Advisory Sign. And if you look at the history of record sales, I don't think any album with explicit lyrics in in the top 25 albums sold. The market for explicit lyrics isn't as big as you claim. True music fans according to you, don't fuck with Wal Mart, but those "true" music fans you speak of probably don't buy albums, any way. They download or buy bootleg. The bottom line is that Wal Mart is such a big part of the consumer market that it has the power to force whole sale prices down.

Besides, I don't what Wal Mart you guys go to, but hte one by my house selld plenty of non edited music, but they have huge Parental advisory stickers over the platsic. Sometimes so big you mcan barely see the album cover. It just doesn't sell Eminem's solo albums. So Eminem may be the one guy who won't have to lower his price, because Wal Mart won't carry his music. What's really odd is they don't have Eminem, but they have a whole bunch of Manson. It can be argued that Wal Mart doesn't make a difference to sales, since Em is the highest selling artist in the past few years, and he isn't at Wal Mart, so I'm not sure how it'll go down. We'll see as it plays out.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you have to say except when you said the Wal-Mart by you has plenty of un-edited cd's. I know for a fact they don't. Peeps here that have been around for a while may know of a guy named Sam Walton. He was the creator of Wal-Mart. Well way back when, my dad used to be a "district manager" for Wal-Mart, so he would basically go around over-see different locations. Anyways, during this time I was lucky enough to meet Sam Walton and have dinner with him a few times (R.I.P.). This was around the time that I was really starting to get into hip-hop so I would always ask him about different things music-wise (I would think he had some kind of super inside-info power lol). I remember asking him about not being able to get an cd's with parental advisories at Wal-Mart (actually very little rap was sold there at this time anyways). He said that he NEVER wants something that the public can associate as being so negative to be associated with this phranchise. He's dead and gone now, and his family runs the company but my father still keeps in contact with the family. I've been told on more then one occasion within the last 2 years or so that because of Sam's wishes, his family will never put "Parental Advisory" cd's in their stores (even though they market hip-hop in there now). I'm bored, so figured I'd lay down some 411 :)

I live in Toronto. It's still Wal Mart, but maybe the Canadian branches have different policies.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 08:10:07 PM »
I live in Toronto. It's still Wal Mart, but maybe the Canadian branches have different policies.

It's Canadian culture more so. We Canadians tend to be a little more open with that kind of stuff I've noticed. Look at TV,  Chappelle's Show isn't edited on The Comedy Network but it is on Comedy Central (US).

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 08:55:07 PM »

Damn, thats real big to have dinner with Sam Walton, he's like one of the biggest business genuises ever.  That musta been a real honor.  Anyways, I thought the topic was about rap music Shallow, which is why I was saying that no one who actually is a rap fan will fuck with Wal-Mart.  Also, I disagree with the true fans not buying music statement.  In my eyes, a true fan of an artist doesn't bootleg at all.  For instance, I can be a "fan" of like Bad Azz or something, and like it enough to download it, but any artist I truly support, such as DJ Quik, I will buy the CD.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 09:04:06 PM »

Damn, thats real big to have dinner with Sam Walton, he's like one of the biggest business genuises ever.  That musta been a real honor.  Anyways, I thought the topic was about rap music Shallow, which is why I was saying that no one who actually is a rap fan will fuck with Wal-Mart.  Also, I disagree with the true fans not buying music statement.  In my eyes, a true fan of an artist doesn't bootleg at all.  For instance, I can be a "fan" of like Bad Azz or something, and like it enough to download it, but any artist I truly support, such as DJ Quik, I will buy the CD.

Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive. But I strongly believe that the market for explicit rap isn't big enough that the companies feel they can survive with out Wal Mart. I feel they will still pull back prices from the CDs that Wal Mart does sell, and then they'll have to pull back other CDs too, just to prevent the artists from complaining.

abstruse

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 02:25:15 AM »
It is not possible for Wal-Mart to single-handedly lower the prices for cd's. I work at Best Buy and can tell you that 2 of every 5 cd's bought in the U.S. are bought at Best Buy.  Maybe with the help of other major reatailers can the cost of cd's lower, but not with Wal-Mart itself. For those of you who actually think they can... take a look at last year.. Best Buy signed a deal with Rolling Stones which stated that Best Buy would be the only retailer who carried their DVD(not wal-mart, target, etc...). The outcome of this?? 19X Platinum selling DVD, the biggest selling Music-DVD in history. Now other artist such as Elton John, are also trying to sign exclusive deals with Best Buy... so Wal-Mart can eat a FUKIN DIK. Anythin that helps drop the sells of that under-paying, employee over-working, racist pos company of theres gets a big from me.

btw.. cd's are still over-priced, so record labels can suck the same dick that wal-marts eating.

VDK REPPIN!

Trauma-san

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 06:32:59 AM »
thats good...i hate paying 12 to 14 bucks a cd ;D

You SAY that's good... however, 3 years down the road after it happens, and independents have to sell THEIR Cd's for tons less money since Wal-Mart is selling so much cheaper; and indy labels can't get distribution anymore, because the big places (the only ones left) aren't buying their indy cd's... then everybody will be bitching and complaining and whining.  Nobody likes a free market. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 06:37:08 AM »
As for Best Buy selling 2 out of 5 cd's... the point of the whole discussion (which you missed) is that if Wal Mart lowers prices, everybody will drive to Wal-Mart instead of Best Buy.  So it doesn't matter how many cd's Best Buy sells right now, you can bet your ass if Wal Mart's 2 or 3 dollars cheaper, THEY'LL get the sale. 

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 11:28:46 AM »
most new cds are between 18-21 euros here in holland.
Same here in Spain. Plus they can be up to 27 if they're imported (which is very common with hiphop cds).

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 03:06:30 PM »
10 bucks!!! fuck that i pay 50 cents a pop  8)

Trauma-san

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 09:12:16 PM »
Yeah, I thought everybody burned now? Buying CD's is just a waste of your money.  You should just buy CD-R's instead.  Save the loot.   

pappy

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2004, 12:11:40 AM »
Yeah, I thought everybody burned now? Buying CD's is just a waste of your money.  You should just buy CD-R's instead.  Save the loot.   

wasnt there a time not too long ago when you were really against that an stressed we should buy the album

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2004, 06:51:18 AM »

It feels like stealing to me. When you burn CDs widespread you hurt the economy. Think about it.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 07:16:06 AM »

wasnt there a time not too long ago when you were really against that an stressed we should buy the album

Yeah; but when it comes right down to it, yall are going to do it anyways.  What I just said about it is the prevailant opinion, everybody said I was an idiot for trying to get people to buy CD's, so I just joined the crowd.  Steal, Cuss, Fuck, Drink.