Author Topic: You Can Kiss KRS-1's Career Goodbye  (Read 915 times)

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: You Can Kiss KRS-1's Career Goodbye
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2004, 11:40:51 AM »
First of this is not a about race
"I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP!"
and KRS did NOT mean that all hiphop fans in existance had the same feeling as he did so as of yet I don't see how he's been proven wrong

You can simply not claim KRS did NOT cheer in ANY WAY either, as he literally said what i made red in the quote above

Yes KRS said he cheered and anybody who read my post knows that I never said he didn't cheer in any way but what he didn't is cheer at the attacks in general

"My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”.

You can simply not claim KRS DID cheer, as he literally said he did not in the quote above i made red.

The key to the understanding of what KRS said is to understand what the "cheering in a way" as you put it means and after reading your post I think it's safe to say, so far, you didn't.

All he did is express a seperated point of view on ONE aspect of the attacks (the business aspect). That doesn' take ANYTHING away from the fact that he is as said as everybody else that 911 happened cause people did die.

If a bomb kills a whole lotta people including

1.a tyran who controlled the whole country and 
2.your parents

You are sad and wish it wouldn't have happened, yet, thinking about the political aspect only you do cheer at the fact that the country's now free.

Now if you were asked about your political opinion on what happened you could say "I cheered when the tyran's oppression was blown away" even if you actually cried when it happened cause your parents and other peeps died. It doesn't mean you literally cheered, it only means you would have cheered if that was the only effect of what happened and since you currently speak about the political aspect only, you also express your reaction to the political aspect only. Your reaction to the end of the tyran's oppression = cheering.
 And that is exactly what KRS did

"My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. "

You might call KRS a fool for saying it in a way that's easy to interpretate wrongly, especially whithout the context BUT you can not call him fucked up for having that opinion cause there is NOTHING wrong or even offensive about the opinion.

tell me how expressing your feelings towards a subject from a seperated point of view can be wrong as long as you keep in mind AND SAY (which he did) that this point of view does NOT reflect yours, or anybody's attitude towards the WHOLE subject.
If KRS had the power to make the attacks and all their effects undone, HE WOULD. He is NOT happy that it happened. What he's happy about is the positive thing to it but that doesn't have anything to do with the negative effect, the death of all the people that were in the WTC. And since the negative effect is on a whole nother level than the positive one he, as well as everybody else is sad, not happy, not cheering about what happened. That's why he says "I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911".

All he did is see a positive aspect of a big tragedy and point it out. He still finds the tragedy to be what it is, a tragedy that nobody should ever want to happen.
You're simply blinded by the fact that he generalizes his view on this certain aspect and claims for it to be the view of the whole hiphop community. If you're mad about that, aight, nothin wrong with that, but don't mix it up with the content of this view.

KRS-ONE = HipHop, uhu...F.U.C.K. T.H.A.T.
False. KRS-One = HipHop, Y.E.S. I.N.D.E.E.D., KRS = the whole hiphop community, false

If you were more into KRS you'd know that him being hiphop only means he's 100% HipHop, not HipHop is him. He's living for hiphop, not for the cash that's in it like many other rappers. In his opinion every emcee who did a bunch of albums should offer his new album on the internet for everyone to download and sell so the fan part of the hiphop community got something in return after spending all the money in the artists previous albums.
While selling the albums they're again promoting the artist. This is just one example for how serious KRS takes the hiphop community, he also went to the United Nations and had them accept HipHop as a legal and official culture.
That's why KRS says "I am HipHop" while Nelly for example is not even though he does rap music. He doesn't claim he's the only one with the right to say "I am HipHop", not at all.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2004, 07:04:49 AM »
First of this is not a about race
"I don’t speak for the African American community exclusively, I speak for HIPHOP!"
and KRS did NOT mean that all hiphop fans in existance had the same feeling as he did so as of yet I don't see how he's been proven wrong

You can simply not claim KRS did NOT cheer in ANY WAY either, as he literally said what i made red in the quote above

Yes KRS said he cheered and anybody who read my post knows that I never said he didn't cheer in any way but what he didn't is cheer at the attacks in general

"My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”.

You can simply not claim KRS DID cheer, as he literally said he did not in the quote above i made red.

The key to the understanding of what KRS said is to understand what the "cheering in a way" as you put it means and after reading your post I think it's safe to say, so far, you didn't.

All he did is express a seperated point of view on ONE aspect of the attacks (the business aspect). That doesn' take ANYTHING away from the fact that he is as said as everybody else that 911 happened cause people did die.

If a bomb kills a whole lotta people including

1.a tyran who controlled the whole country and 
2.your parents

You are sad and wish it wouldn't have happened, yet, thinking about the political aspect only you do cheer at the fact that the country's now free.

Now if you were asked about your political opinion on what happened you could say "I cheered when the tyran's oppression was blown away" even if you actually cried when it happened cause your parents and other peeps died. It doesn't mean you literally cheered, it only means you would have cheered if that was the only effect of what happened and since you currently speak about the political aspect only, you also express your reaction to the political aspect only. Your reaction to the end of the tyran's oppression = cheering.
 And that is exactly what KRS did

"My intent is never to demean or disrespect anyone’s loss or gain; and of course I did not literally “cheer when 911 happened”. I made an objective statement about the feelings of those who were oppressed by world trade policies. I was just as saddened as everyone else on 911. "

You might call KRS a fool for saying it in a way that's easy to interpretate wrongly, especially whithout the context BUT you can not call him fucked up for having that opinion cause there is NOTHING wrong or even offensive about the opinion.
i do understand that point of yours. that point is that you can see various aspects to something that is a tragedy and while you find it overall saddening, you can still see its positive effects and be glad about them. if that is not your point, i didn't understand it (fully), if so i understood that from the beginning. the whole thing is a moralic issue though. "Cheering" is an emotional outburst, it is NOT the same as "being glad about" or "seeing the positive side to" something. KRS said he didn't mean it literally, but my opinion is that it is stupid and not justified to use it metaphorically, either. By saying that he polemically implied something that is totally wrong and even though the positive sides to 9/11 may exist (i never denied that, i said he did have some points in my very first post) he is to blame for the hate he gets. He provoked it and his overall behavior in this situation pisses me off. From his first statement you can not draw the conclusion that he was actually very sad and just had enough pragmatism left in his state of grief to figure there were positive aspects. No, you canfuckinnot see that. Had he apologized for his choice of words, or explained it saying that they might have been open to interpretation and not been very clear, i wouldn't be bothered even though i still wouldn't fully agree and still consider it cynical to say shit 'happened to them' and 6,000 lives lost are justice for blacks that were racially profiled and harassed by WTC security. Instead, what KRS did was write an aggressive and offensive statement in which he didn't remotely show traces of even the capability of self-criticism and instead attacked everybody who misinterprated his poetic truth-preaching thought-provoking HipHop ass, which was only logical from the way he originally said stuff. Do you understand that point??

You're simply blinded by the fact that he generalizes his view on this certain aspect and claims for it to be the view of the whole hiphop community. If you're mad about that, aight, nothin wrong with that, but don't mix it up with the content of this view.
If it seemed to you that i did not seperate it from the rest, sorry. It goes along with his cockiness and bigging up himself, but it is of course not the same thing as his views themselves or the way he reacted to the responses itself

KRS-ONE = HipHop, uhu...F.U.C.K. T.H.A.T.
False. KRS-One = HipHop, Y.E.S. I.N.D.E.E.D., KRS = the whole hiphop community, false

If you were more into KRS you'd know that him being hiphop only means he's 100% HipHop, not HipHop is him. He's living for hiphop, not for the cash that's in it like many other rappers. In his opinion every emcee who did a bunch of albums should offer his new album on the internet for everyone to download and sell so the fan part of the hiphop community got something in return after spending all the money in the artists previous albums.
While selling the albums they're again promoting the artist. This is just one example for how serious KRS takes the hiphop community, he also went to the United Nations and had them accept HipHop as a legal and official culture.
That's why KRS says "I am HipHop" while Nelly for example is not even though he does rap music. He doesn't claim he's the only one with the right to say "I am HipHop", not at all.
no, i know that, but he thinks he's in the position to judge and define who can call themselves hiphop and what hiphop is and stands for. he overestimates himself as to his position and objectivity

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2004, 07:48:58 AM »
i do understand that point of yours. that point is that you can see various aspects to something that is a tragedy and while you find it overall saddening, you can still see its positive effects and be glad about them. if that is not your point, i didn't understand it (fully), if so i understood that from the beginning. the whole thing is a moralic issue though. "Cheering" is an emotional outburst, it is NOT the same as "being glad about" or "seeing the positive side to" something. KRS said he didn't mean it literally, but my opinion is that it is stupid and not justified to use it metaphorically, either. By saying that he polemically implied something that is totally wrong and even though the positive sides to 9/11 may exist (i never denied that, i said he did have some points in my very first post) he is to blame for the hate he gets. He provoked it and his overall behavior in this situation pisses me off. From his first statement you can not draw the conclusion that he was actually very sad and just had enough pragmatism left in his state of grief to figure there were positive aspects. No, you canfuckinnot see that. Had he apologized for his choice of words, or explained it saying that they might have been open to interpretation and not been very clear, i wouldn't be bothered even though i still wouldn't fully agree and still consider it cynical to say shit 'happened to them' and 6,000 lives lost are justice for blacks that were racially profiled and harassed by WTC security. Instead, what KRS did was write an aggressive and offensive statement in which he didn't remotely show traces of even the capability of self-criticism and instead attacked everybody who misinterprated his poetic truth-preaching thought-provoking HipHop ass, which was only logical from the way he originally said stuff. Do you understand that point??

well it seems like you do understand it but not how much it changes the message of the quote the daily news used. What you have to keep in mind is that they used the quotes they needed, they didn't print the whole statement so we can't just say he should have elaborated more when they simply didn't give him the chance to (not only have they chosen particular parts, they even interrupted him so he couldn't explain it more).

Had he apologized for his choice of words, or explained it saying that they might have been open to interpretation and not been very clear, i wouldn't be bothered
in that case, consider yourself unbothered

"If the slander that the Daily News has printed regarding my political views has disrespectfully offended anyone in any way I truly apologize. Again, it was never my or Hiphop’s intent to disregard, disrespect or demean the tragedy of September 11th 2001 and those that died that day. "

the fact that the part you quoted yourself "For the record, I am an American philosopher. I speak and seek truth." is followed by the quote above makes me wonder how you can imply he didn't apologize when you necessarily read that part..

And as I said before, you can call him a fool for saying it this way, but that's not cause it's offending, that's because it's easy to misinterpretate so it can't make him a "punk"

from your previous statement
there is no excuse for the shit the Daily News quoted. And his fuckin response as to how he was 'taken out of context' doesn't provide any excuse either. It's not only cynical, but also straight up dumb to claim 9/11 was 'justice for black people' especially when your main point is racial prejudice towards blacks by WTC security. that's so fuckin blown outta proportion, think about it, 6,000 lives were lost and that includes several black lives from what i know.
I don't come to the conclusion that you fully understood that he was only talking about one aspect from the beginning on. the reason you call it "outta proportion" is that you think KRS meant to say "a lotta people might've died, but still there are positive aspects to what happened and they kinda make up for the lost lifes" which is NOT true.

There is no such proportoin KRS ever intended to express and neither did he. That's why he underlines that he did NOT literally cheer and that he is AS sad about it as everybody else, AS sad as you, not a bit less, that it happened. He couldn't possibly be as sad as we all if he thought that the positive aspect is anywhere near comparable to the negative one. so YES it DOES provide an excuse explanation for his comments.

I see what you say about his "fist statement" not expressing that but then you have to consider that those wasn't his complete first statement and when you said what I quoted you had already read his complete statement so that impression of yours was not based on those out of context taken quotes.

If it seemed to you that i did not seperate it from the rest, sorry. It goes along with his cockiness and bigging up himself, but it is of course not the same thing as his views themselves or the way he reacted to the responses itself

What I meant is not that you can't see that these are 2 different aspects, but that the way he says it makes you overlook that he actually did fully explain the controversial quotes and that there is no doubt left that he is NOT happy about the attacks as a whole. The reason for that impression is the quote of yours I mentioned before

no, i know that, but he thinks he's in the position to judge and define who can call themselves hiphop and what hiphop is and stands for. he overestimates himself as to his position and objectivity

well that is a matter of opinion, personally I agree with him on his denfietion of hiphop, he's not a hater of commercial artists, he likes Eminem for example, he's just really objective enough to say that vertain aspects of Em's carrier are not the way it's supposed to be for somebody who's all about the hiphop culture.

Whether or not you agree with his definition, fact remains everybody has his denfition and thinks he's right, not only KRS. At least that's how I see it

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »
ok, i'm not really trying to go on for ages, so i'll say just a few more things

1. I see KRS is not happy abouth the attacks as a whole, which i didn't really assume, still i think if he brings up the point of racial profiling and says "when the planes hit the building we were like, umm, justice" there has to be a relation between these and it's a cynical statement to call it justice of any kind; it implies those hit were the 'enemy' so to speak and their killing might be deplorable but has on the other hand been just in some way; that message is simply inherent in this statement and if it is not the message he intended to deliver, then he lacked the eloquence to get his real point across. If that was the case he should have seen that, at least afterwards

2. ok, there was some sort of apology there, but he attacked the Daily News - while i don't read that newspaper and believe they might possibly not be open-minded and unbiased towards hiphop and its people, i think from KRS' original speech the way KRS quoted it himself, they couldn't see that things weren't intended to imply what the quotes they used implied. In other words, there is no solid evidence of any bad intention held by them. For KRS to attack them is therefore wrong, cause like i said, he is to blame for the way he said shit originally. And ok, he might not be a punk for his opinions (i still don't agree fully, period), but he's a foo for expressing them the way he did and afterwards getting mad at a newspaper that quoted him and gave people only the impression most of them would have been given by the original speech itself as well.

3. i still think he's cocky and overestimates himself as for hiphop. he acts like his views are way more objective than they are and i say this in no concrete relation to this 9/11 stuff. that's something i never liked him for. and i'm not a KRS-ONE hater and i enjoy some of his music for the record. but i don't like him as a person, sorry

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2004, 05:01:40 PM »
ok, i'm not really trying to go on for ages, so i'll say just a few more things

1. I see KRS is not happy abouth the attacks as a whole, which i didn't really assume, still i think if he brings up the point of racial profiling and says "when the planes hit the building we were like, umm, justice" there has to be a relation between these and it's a cynical statement to call it justice of any kind; it implies those hit were the 'enemy' so to speak and their killing might be deplorable but has on the other hand been just in some way; that message is simply inherent in this statement and if it is not the message he intended to deliver, then he lacked the eloquence to get his real point across. If that was the case he should have seen that, at least afterwards

2. ok, there was some sort of apology there, but he attacked the Daily News - while i don't read that newspaper and believe they might possibly not be open-minded and unbiased towards hiphop and its people, i think from KRS' original speech the way KRS quoted it himself, they couldn't see that things weren't intended to imply what the quotes they used implied. In other words, there is no solid evidence of any bad intention held by them. For KRS to attack them is therefore wrong, cause like i said, he is to blame for the way he said shit originally. And ok, he might not be a punk for his opinions (i still don't agree fully, period), but he's a foo for expressing them the way he did and afterwards getting mad at a newspaper that quoted him and gave people only the impression most of them would have been given by the original speech itself as well.

3. i still think he's cocky and overestimates himself as for hiphop. he acts like his views are way more objective than they are and i say this in no concrete relation to this 9/11 stuff. that's something i never liked him for. and i'm not a KRS-ONE hater and i enjoy some of his music for the record. but i don't like him as a person, sorry

1. seeing how much of a difference it is wether you consider the context or not, we can't tell how much is to blame on his "lack of eloquence" and how much on the fact that the quotes were out of the context.
And as I said before, he didn't say from his point of view the attacks were in some way justice, in fact he said the opposite. That's cause his point of view is considering everything, the attacks as a whole. That other point of view he describes is the one which does NOT consider the everything, it ignores the people that died. Therefore from this point of view it's justice, and a reason to cheer. His own point of view does not provie these positive feelings towards the attacks so from this point of view it wasn't justice either, in no way.

2.I agree 100% that the quotes the Daily News used, as you correctly put it, nobody could see that the things he adressed weren't intended to have the message they seemed to have. When I first read the article, the day before it was posted here, I was like "wft this can't be true, it's probably bullshit (cause I didn't know that it was printed in a newspaper but thought it was from some website) KRS can't be gone crazy all of a sudden", so I couldn't see any other message either. But then I read that it was taken out of the context and not really KRS views on the whole thing. They used the parts they wanted to use so I totally see the reason KRS is complaining for.
Just look at this thread, alomst everybody seems to have the impression KRS is glad about the attacks as a whole. Everybody's like "no black cat I know cheered wtf's he talkin about". You, having read everything n shit, already said that he isn't a punk but just a foo for saying it that way.. so hell yeah, they did damage his reputation with the way they took only those quotes out of the context which discribed the view on ONE aspect and made it seem like he was happy about the whole thing.

3.I see why someone would feel like that about him, he's definalty not humble, but I don't think he really overestimates himself much either cause he IS as much of a representer of hiphop as you can possibly be. Nobody, I repeat nobody, is giving up everything else for what he thinks is the real hiphop more or even as much as KRS does. He doesn't care about his sales, what the hate he gets for alotta stuff like that "i am hiphop" shit, he gives speeches at universiys and school on a regular base, he found the temple of hiphop, made hiphop a legal culture, ect ,.. it's not like he's getin payed for any of his activities other than the rap albums he sales which ain't shit compared to the numbers he could do if he let the expactations of the mainstream influence a lil more.. hell when he was young he left home to to be a bum when he thought it was necessary to experience the hiphop world.. His whole life is dedicated to preserving the hiphop as a culture (which adds to the fact that he was also one of the peeps who built hiphop to what it became).. Since all he does is think about these thinks he's of course also very confident in his judgement on hiphop related things..

if you don't like him that's of course your choice but I just hope you consider these facts when I build your opinion on him.

W-Side

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2004, 05:28:43 PM »

a"Like everyone I was shocked to read that I and other African-Americans actually “cheered when 911 happened” and that I have “declared my solidarity with Al Qaeda”. you wanna tell me claiming he declared his solidarity with Al Qaeda is not something you should never say aboutanybody unless he literally said that ? It doesn't leave any doubt at all about him being happy about the attacks as a whole..