Author Topic: does anybody else like ska?  (Read 212 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
does anybody else like ska?
« on: November 11, 2004, 06:57:04 AM »
or am i the only one on this board? if not, what bands are you into and what would you recommend? i'm getting into it more and more, but i don't know about that much yet

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: does anybody else like ska?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 06:57:55 AM »
Not really, but my best friend is hardcore into it. I'll ask him for you, I plan on speaking with him in a couple hours.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 07:02:47 AM »
um.. the only concert i EVER saw.. was reel big fish.. dope ska band.. i like it.. i just dont really have time to get into it..

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 07:13:28 AM »
Not really, but my best friend is hardcore into it. I'll ask him for you, I plan on speaking with him in a couple hours.

thanx in advance

um.. the only concert i EVER saw.. was reel big fish.. dope ska band.. i like it.. i just dont really have time to get into it..

yeah, theyre cool. if you like them you're likely to like the band in my sig, just a tip in case you'll ever feel like listening to some (punk-influenced in this case) ska

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:11:44 AM »
what is ska?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 10:43:14 AM »
^ punk music with trumpets

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 12:45:59 PM »
^ punk music with trumpets

no. The famous Cali third-wave ska bands have strong punk influences, and some of their songs you can maybe label 'punk with trumpets', but ska basically came from reggae and was started by jamaican musicians in the early 60's long before punk really started. It then became popular in the UK where skinheads (not the nazi ones, the original skinheads) made it big, which was the second wave. The third wave started in the US, probably Cali with bands like the Mad Caddies (check my sig), Reel Big Fish, Sublime, No Doubt and others who mixed a lot of punk into it. Original ska (Desmond Dekker, Laurel Aitken, Prince Buster, Toots & The Maytals etc) is jamaican and sounds alot like reggae and hence very different from the american 90's-now ska-punk stuff. I am more into this newer type too, but still ska ain't just 'punk with trumpets'

« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 12:49:48 PM by Kill »

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 01:44:11 AM »
i listen to some not that into it though got the early bob marley ska stuff

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 02:09:08 AM »
i heard the Toasters are good, ans so is Mustard Plug. I know this cuz my friend has a Ska Band and he was tellin me about it. His band is called NYSX (NEw York Ska Xchange) and he lives in New York. If want more info lemme know
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 10:16:01 AM »
i heard the Toasters are good, ans so is Mustard Plug. I know this cuz my friend has a Ska Band and he was tellin me about it. His band is called NYSX (NEw York Ska Xchange) and he lives in New York. If want more info lemme know

on his band? well why not...have they got anything out on cd?

ecrazy

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 12:18:55 PM »
Suburban Legends (Saw them @ the Fair, @ Angels Stadium, @ Universal Citywalk, My old GF was their #1 fan, so i went with her to all those shows)...um, Yea, Reel Big Fish, I dont really listen to much Ska, My ex did,....only other ska band i know that i liked was LBDAS, but they were not really ska, were they???