Author Topic: Question for you producers on dubcnn; "the bridge" of a song  (Read 165 times)

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Question for you producers on dubcnn; "the bridge" of a song
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »
Or just anyone who knows music terminology in general... I recently made a beat and let some people listen to it online and they said it was cool but it needed some work on "the bridge." can you guys give me examples of this.

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Question for you producers on dubcnn; "the bridge" of a song
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
found this;

In music, especially occidental popular music, a bridge is a contrasting section which also prepares for the return of the original material section. The bridge may be the middle-eight in a thirty-two-bar form (the B in AABA), or it may be used more loosely in verse-chorus form, or, in a compound AABA form, used as a contrast to a full AABA section, as in "Every Breath You Take". Very commonly the "bridge" is in a contrasting key to the original melody.[citation needed] More often than not, the "bridge" is a perfect 4th higher.[citation needed] For examples, see Richard Rodgers' "Mountain Greenery" and Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Meditation"

smegma

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
wait... before we take this thread any further... you never heard of a bridge before??

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »
wait... before we take this thread any further... you never heard of a bridge before??

I did but I always thought it was the chorus for some reason, obviously it's not.

smegma

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »

I did but I always thought it was the chorus for some reason, obviously it's not.

ok

Here's a perfect example of a bridge in a song...

The bridge starts with "One time for my niggas in incarceration" and the hook starts with "To my peoples if you with me".

I gotta go! I hope it helps you out :)

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:07:36 AM »

ok

The bridge starts with "One time for my niggas in incarceration" and the hook starts with "To my peoples if you with me".

I gotta go! I hope it helps you out :)

thanks man, looked up some more shit, with your example confirms it its like the final 8 bars, the buildup before the last chorus.

Peacock

• 'G'
  • but no worries, I protected my "investment"
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
You know, bridge is that thing that you walk over so you don't fall into water and get all wet and stinky and shit. That's why you need to build a bridge in your song, so it kinda connects all the sections together. Best way would be either strip down some elements from the part of the song that you want to be the bridge or add some new elements there.

If you can't be bothered then just tell em there's no bridge, bitch.

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:13:01 AM »
You know, bridge is that thing that you walk over so you don't fall into water and get all wet and stinky and shit. That's why you need to build a bridge in your song, so it kinda connects all the sections together. Best way would be either strip down some elements from the part of the song that you want to be the bridge or add some new elements there.

If you can't be bothered then just tell em there's no bridge, bitch.

haha I think the track would actually be better with a bridge cause it gets too repetitive.

thanks for that piece of info.

D-Stress

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:22:08 AM »
yep

Suga Foot

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
I was gonna write something but then I found this and explains it perfectly imo:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In song writing, a bridge is an interlude that connects two parts of that song, building a harmonic connection between those parts.

Normally you should have heard the verse at least twice. The bridge may then replace the 3rd verse or precede it. In the latter case, it delays an expected chorus. The chorus after the bridge is usually last and is often repeated in order to stress that it is final.

If and when you expect a verse or a chorus and you get something that is musically and lyrically different from both verse and chorus, it is most likely the bridge.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 09:00:24 PM »
yep.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09