Author Topic: Talib and Mos Def opinions, I had to say something  (Read 203 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Talib and Mos Def opinions, I had to say something
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:29:19 AM »
All the hate on Talib's new CD, I personally loved it. Maybe I'm just getting old, but Talib is my favorite rapper out, and his CD did not dissappoint me. I like it better than Quality, which I didn't expect at all. I think the Beautiful Struggle is more constant through out, and can be listen to from front to back no problem. I give it a solid 4.0. Then again Quality was 4.0 in my opinion.

Mos Def. I feel like I was reviewing CDs again from my college station. But I like that kind of hip-hop, so I ain't tripping. I wasn't a fan of his rock mixes, but that little fast foward came in handy. I will listen to the whole CD soon. But that pure hip-hop shit in his CD, I got my player program to just play the hip-hop, and put that on repeat. A great CD minus the rock shit.

That's just my two cents. I have seen a lot of hate on both CDs. I listen to them both for a couple of days now, and I think I can come with an opinion. There it is. Any questions?

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Talib and Mos Def opinions, I had to say something
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 05:08:43 AM »
Talib Kweli's is good, but disappointing...6/10
Mos Def's is hot garbage...4/10
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

Throwback

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 05:16:24 AM »
talib : 7/10 if it wasnt for the advance i would like it even beter
Mos Def : 7/10 i like the rock thing

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 05:57:06 AM »
Talib...ok, but if you're only a bit aware of the potential he got...the advance was actually better, i was disappointed 6/10

Mos...many hiphop heads can't understand what is supposed to be good about it, which is inevitable if you do an album like this. It's chaotic and Mos is not the musician of the century, but the album has many very good moments and unlike Kweli does not go in the direction of the hiphop that just bores me cause it works by the same formulas and patterns that have become too predictable...it's wild, chaotic and has spontaneity all over it in a way...that's how i feel about it and being labelled trash by many is the price Mos just had to pay for it...to me it's an interesting experiment with definite flaws, but overall about a 7.5/10

Traumatized

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:40:52 AM »
The Beautiful Struggle - There are some songs I don't like, but there are also some classic tracks, like Black Girl Pain, Beautiful Struggle, and for me there are more great tracks than bad ones (in Kweli standards), so I give it 8 out of 10 pts.

The New Danger - Listened to it once, didn't like it, no rating.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »
Haven't heard Kweli yet, but I love that Mos Def, 4.5/5 IMO. I love the guitar licks on it, Mos's singing, Mos's rapping, etc...

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 09:08:46 AM »
i like both of them, i think Kweli's production was a bit lacklustre at times, but he still came with it lyrically...and the Mos album is a bit too varied for me, im not a huge fan of his singing, but there are definitely some classic Mos tracks on there, Sunshine being one of them... 8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 01:19:59 PM »
Kweli - when it was dope it was really dope, and when it was bad, it was really bad, with a few average tracks thrown in. The second half of the album was a lot better than the first half, and overall it wasn't bad. I'd say 7.5/10

Mos - took me a few listens to fully appreciate it, but now that I do, I think that The New Danger is an really dope album, I'd probably give it a 8.5/10. I like how he built on the jazz influence on BOBS and added rock and blues elements to this album. I'll be interested to see what he tries to incoporate in any further albums he does.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 01:27:17 PM »
Ive always liked both these artists, they're defenetly in my top 10..

unfortunetly, still havn't heard either album yet! Im probably going to download the new danger this week sometime though

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 05:34:03 PM »
Mos Def --- 7/10
The rock angle was different. It's cool that he's expanding his horizons, I just wanted to hear more "traditional hip hop" type tracks from him.

Talib Kweli --- 6/10
Kweli was on point lyrically as allways, it's just that most of the beats left much to be desired.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels