Author Topic: Did illegal internet downloading lead to the death of hip-hop?  (Read 307 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Did illegal internet downloading lead to the death of hip-hop?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
^ co-sign

I don't think Rock (the one you were reffering to) died. The White Strips released some good albums. Lenny had a few good noes not too long ago. RHCP had two great ones in the last several years.

yup, since we're on it, Trauma posted in that Frusciante topic too...my personal opinion is that this labelling genres dead is stupid unless they, like grunge or G-Funk eg, practically don't exist anymore. As long as there are many records of a certain genre coming out, it is not dead, whether you like those releases or not...how can you act like your opinion on that music is objective? I can claim hiphop is in a great state with Snoop's R&G and Lloyd Bank's album and everything that dropped this year, and i can say rock (by popular definition) is in a better state than in 1975. Unless a lack of actual products to back this up with proves me wrong, it is impossible to do so, and still is if 99% of people disagree...music is not dead as long as it exists

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 05:25:42 PM »
I'd still consider it dead.  There's just not as many interesting talents out like there was before, in the 50's when Rock started, *EVERY fucking thing was exciting.  In the 60's, EVERYBODY was doing creative stuff, in the 70's it got more roots/folky in the 80's it got pretty shitty with a few superbands holding the candles, in the early 90's grunge and alternative momentarily re-ignited the excitement and passion, but as we stand today, Rock is dead, has been dead, and that's my opinion whether you agree or not. 

That's not to say there aren't some talented people out there, but we need a major movement if Rock's gonna regain the excitement it once had, not just a few bright lights here and there.  I'm not saying the Chili Peppers suck, or anything like that, but who *ARE the chili peppers? Hold-outs from the early 90's, when Rock was kickin' Ass.  Look @ all your great bands right now, almost all of them are holdovers from the alternative scene, or from the 80's.  Metallica's been around forever, U2 has been around forever, the Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers have been around forever.  I'll give you that the White Stripes are new, refreshing, and original, but that's 1 fucking band.  Most of your modern shit like Incubus and shit is just horrible, or you've got Hoobastank trying their best to imitate Kurt Cobain or whatever.  Listen to this shit.  Listen to Puddle of Mudd's "Blurry" and tell me exactly who he's trying to be like... I can't tell if he likes Liam Gallagher's nasally voice better, or Kurt's scream better, but he sure does his best to do both. 

When the main acts out are all reminding me of ghosts from the past, yeah, it's DEAD

Thirteen

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 08:39:20 PM »
i think it's the lack of change... movies and games have moved to bigger formats and have found creative ways to fill that format, you rarely see a good dvd that's only one disk now...with games you rarely see games shorter than 8 hours

now you have cd's..you can fit 20 songs in the regular format, but if you were to compress them you can fit 400....not saying that cd's should have 400 songs on them, but compress the shit you do have and throw some extra's on there.

jome touched on this a little bit with what interscope is doing and i think it's a great idea..... movies and games are ready for the 21st century, music is not

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 04:33:19 PM »
^good post, props for it

No matter what, even music isn't ready for the 21st century, Im still gonna be supporting the artists I love and buy their album, hopefully lots of other people will too.