Author Topic: this guy says tupac, jay z, are the most overrated rappers ever. Agree?  (Read 633 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: this guy says tupac, jay z, are the most overrated rappers ever. Agree?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 11:10:57 AM »
LOL... I said Nas is the best rapper alive. Big L has sadly passed. I remembering hearing my homeboy "freestyle" saying a bunch of unheard Big L lines at the time. I was like, damn, he could get a contract. A year later they dropped the Big L CD, and I heard word or word the same lines... lol. But I would never underrate Big L, one of the best that ever did it.

Eminem, Slug and Canibus are all better than Jay

Why do I say they are overrated, 'cause heads rate them so high and they waste their talents. Jay-Z IMO is talented, but he puts all his talent in his work. Slug and Canibus don't use all there talent, or they'd be platnum rappers. Slug is on some weird shit, I heard so much of him, it gets me mad to know he should be bigger, especially 'cause his white, and is not fucking up the game. You can say, he loved his music, but his talent is not being used either. Canibus is a wasted of lyrical genious. His a battle rapper that lost two major battles already and burried his own career. If his a battle rapper, shouldn't he have beaten an older, not as great LL Cool J. Eminem I understand. As for Em himself, listen to every album since Slim Shady LP. He does not consident with his music. One song is a classic, and one song is garbage. if he would actually put his all in his music, he'd be top 5 of all time.

Jay-Z, say what you will, but he can put his all into an album. You know every song his thinking hot single, or an additional track to a great CD. He works hard, and you can tell it in his music. He is not the best rapper alive like him and his fans say, so he is overrated, but not everyone overrates him. Everyone over rates Slug, Canibus, but most every head will tell you Jay-Z is wack, which is far from the truth. His haters even out the Jay-Z dickriders. Canibus and Slug have no haters, so they are rated higher than they should. Eminem, he has so many fans, that his haters are almost a non factor.

Glendale

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 03:38:27 PM »
nerd rap bullshit? ya okay your the one writing paragraphs and seems obsessed with the guy. feeling you have to defend jay with your life and posting his lyrics from only a couple songs. big deal, his delivery and voice are horrible and if u knew anything you would know he struggles with riding beats. he was tryin to find his identity back then and now finally found copin kanes style works for him. dude is overrated because of people like u who think so highly of him, quite sad. "Eminem, Slug and Canibus are all better than Jay" is true...im not gonna find any lyrics like u bcuz i personally dont care that much about the guy, hes overrated. only ppl who do that is "nerd rap bullshit" type cats like your self
"Got niggas head's dividin faster than nerds at a calculus convention/see i school niggas, then i afterschool niggas like detention." -  Ras Kass   

"You got Soldiers, but you still Gotta respect ours, We got more 'Four Fives and Nines' than A deck of cards" - L. Banks

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 03:58:42 PM »
This is a funny thread.

Slug and Canibus better than Jay?
Chino XL better than Nas?

That's comedy.

Jay-Z and 2Pac are overrated.  Probably not the most overrated but overrated nevertheless.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 04:57:57 PM »
nerd rap bullshit? ya okay your the one writing paragraphs and seems obsessed with the guy. feeling you have to defend jay with your life and posting his lyrics from only a couple songs. big deal, his delivery and voice are horrible and if u knew anything you would know he struggles with riding beats. he was tryin to find his identity back then and now finally found copin kanes style works for him. dude is overrated because of people like u who think so highly of him, quite sad. "Eminem, Slug and Canibus are all better than Jay" is true...im not gonna find any lyrics like u bcuz i personally dont care that much about the guy, hes overrated. only ppl who do that is "nerd rap bullshit" type cats like your self
lol @ jay "copying" kane when he was mentored by him and jaz-o. i guess big l copied lord finesse too, huh? the thing i really find funny is how you talk about jay "not being able to ride a beat" aka flow, and then you got ras kass in your sig. irony at its finest. when him, slug, or canibus can put out an album universally accepted as a good album, come holla at me. cause jay already has 2.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 05:44:29 PM »
lol @ jay "copying" kane when he was mentored by him and jaz-o. i guess big l copied lord finesse too, huh? the thing i really find funny is how you talk about jay "not being able to ride a beat" aka flow, and then you got ras kass in your sig. irony at its finest. when him, slug, or canibus can put out an album universally accepted as a good album, come holla at me. cause jay already has 2.

What do you mean by universally accepted? I'll give you Canibus, I haven't heard enough Slug, but Eminem Show, MMLP, and SSLP are pretty accepted. They all got rather good reviews from every type of review I've read. I'm not saying you're wrong but can you show that any of Em's first 3 albums were not accepted?

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »

What do you mean by universally accepted? I'll give you Canibus, I haven't heard enough Slug, but Eminem Show, MMLP, and SSLP are pretty accepted. They all got rather good reviews from every type of review I've read. I'm not saying you're wrong but can you show that any of Em's first 3 albums were not accepted?
by universally accepted i mean the mainstream, underground, and critic reviews. eminem has good albums, thats why i didnt mention him. i said him(ras kass), slug and canibus.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Sikotic™

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 07:07:56 PM »
Jay Z: yes

Pac: no
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Glendale

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2004, 09:51:05 PM »
 when him, slug, or canibus can put out an album universally accepted as a good album, come holla at me. cause jay already has 2.

they probably could if they were signed to a major, had promotion like jay through mags, tv, interviews, clothing lines, etc...their independant and the world isnt ready for them. they prefer weak shit like chingy, nelly, j-kwon, and jayz. em can even fit in with them at times, nas stays real. make any of those 3 a hot beat like the ones jay gets and see how they ride it with a lot more meaning full and lyrical content compared to your beloved jay. slug did good on Modern Mans Hustle which i thought sounded a lil commercial. but unfortuanly he cant get beats like that all the time or have the equipemtn/producers who can. until then, they wont put an album universally accepted bcuz of all that and i can deal with it. being accepted by 12 yr olds and sales obviously matter to u, good for u. to me, jay is like the dumb commercial version of immortal technique, both cant ride beats. list as many songs as u want, call me when he can do it through a whole album.
"Got niggas head's dividin faster than nerds at a calculus convention/see i school niggas, then i afterschool niggas like detention." -  Ras Kass   

"You got Soldiers, but you still Gotta respect ours, We got more 'Four Fives and Nines' than A deck of cards" - L. Banks

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
when I say Slug and Canibus are better than Jay, Im not talking about Albums.
comparing them by Albums is, frankly said, misunderstanding
Jay-Z obviously has better studios, better production, better beats, better guest appearances, more budget, and what not.
No shit his albums have a better sound universally speaking.

technically though, bis and slug are better rappers. I'd also put Poet Laureate II over any Jay-Z song and Godlovesugly over any Jay-Z Album, but that's probably just my personal preferation.

by the underground, however, Ras Kass is severly overrated btw.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 08:43:24 AM »

by universally accepted i mean the mainstream, underground, and critic reviews. eminem has good albums, thats why i didnt mention him. i said him(ras kass), slug and canibus.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Since the other guy mention Em, Canibus, and Slug in succession, I thought you meant Em when you said "him". My mistake.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2004, 01:11:14 AM »
I could never say Pac was overrated. He was the best all round package in the history of rap music. His lyrics were more poetic than most and just as good as any of the other best rappers. His delivery was so versatile. He knew what type of emotion the song required, and he knew how to display that emotion better than anybody. He could do angry, sad, excited, cocky, and serious. Kind of like Elvis in that regard, if he were to touch a song everybody else better leave it alone. I think of Nas's "Dance" from God's Son, and can only imagine how much better it would have sounded if Pac recorded it. His flow was musical and fluid all the time. He may have been hypocritical or acted stupid sometimes but that shouldn't affect his merit as an artist. We aren't judging Tupac the human being, we are judging Tupac the artist. I'll never understand what people mean when they say he wasn't good lyrically. I'd compare some of his best work to early Springsteen lyrics, well above 90% of hip hop 90% of the time, and never below it.

I couldnt have said it better myself. Pac isnt overrated, he is just simply THAT good.....he was on a level that no other hip hop artist has or ever will reach. IMO, he is the only hip hop artist that is worthy of being called an icon. Whether you like his music or not is irrelevent. He is simply the embodiment of hip hop and the biggest and most influential figure to arise from it. By far the most charismatic, versatile, and complete MC ever. You can try and say he is overrated all you want, but fact of the matter is that he's the standard by which all MC's today are judged by, and the one every living MC wants to be. There's a reason he is quoted and sampled more than any other MC right now, because he was THAT good. Thing about Pac was, he was more than just a rapper: he was a poet, revoluationary, and to many, a prophet. At the very least, he is a legend and the voice for an entire generation. I dont care if im dickriding or not, im just telling it like it is. Dude was/is in a class of his own.

Jay Z, on the otherhand, is EXTREMELY overrated......as is Eminem. Neither of these cats are even worthy of shining Pac's boots.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:18:07 AM by Hellrazor »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Elevz

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2004, 03:04:58 AM »
Well, well... I never really liked Jay-Z anyway so imo he's EXTREMELY overrated... And as for Pac - yeah he was skilled... Highly skilled. One of the best in the game, but nowadays people seem to act like he's God himself. He deserves respect, but stop riding his dick. I wonder if Pac would have fallen off before 2004 if he weren't dead already.

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 08:00:13 AM »
I couldnt have said it better myself. Pac isnt overrated, he is just simply THAT good.....he was on a level that no other hip hop artist has or ever will reach. IMO, he is the only hip hop artist that is worthy of being called an icon. Whether you like his music or not is irrelevent. He is simply the embodiment of hip hop and the biggest and most influential figure to arise from it. By far the most charismatic, versatile, and complete MC ever. You can try and say he is overrated all you want, but fact of the matter is that he's the standard by which all MC's today are judged by, and the one every living MC wants to be. There's a reason he is quoted and sampled more than any other MC right now, because he was THAT good. Thing about Pac was, he was more than just a rapper: he was a poet, revoluationary, and to many, a prophet. At the very least, he is a legend and the voice for an entire generation. I dont care if im dickriding or not, im just telling it like it is. Dude was/is in a class of his own.

Jay Z, on the otherhand, is EXTREMELY overrated......as is Eminem. Neither of these cats are even worthy of shining Pac's boots.

I don't call too many people here dickriders but you are the perfect example.

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2004, 05:52:05 PM »

I don't call too many people here dickriders but you are the perfect example.

No, you are a far bigger dickrider than I am, since YOU cant get off MY dick....following me around threads and shit. Fuck up outta here kid.

And I could care less of what you think about me, insignifigant one. Acting like im gonna change my opinions or some shit just because you happen to not like them. As said in the other thread, go fuck yourself...after you kindly remove yourself from my nuts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 06:01:27 PM by Hellrazor »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2004, 06:46:20 PM »
No, you are a far bigger dickrider than I am, since YOU cant get off MY dick....following me around threads and shit. Fuck up outta here kid.

Responding to two of your posts hardly qualifies as "following you around".

And I could care less of what you think about me, insignifigant one. Acting like im gonna change my opinions or some shit just because you happen to not like them. As said in the other thread, go fuck yourself...after you kindly remove yourself from my nuts.

hahahahaha