Author Topic: Nintendo DS Selling like Wildfire around the world  (Read 203 times)

Trauma-san

Nintendo DS Selling like Wildfire around the world
« on: December 01, 2004, 08:01:18 AM »
Yesterday, Nintendo upped it's projected sales figures for the Nintendo DS, for a second time... this thing is surpassing all sales expectations.  It was originally slated to sell 3.5 million copies by March, then was upped to 4 million copies, and yesterday, they raised estimates to 5 million copies.  Also, they raised estimates on their gameboy advance, which is expected to sell 16 million copies by March.  Profit margins are triple what they were last year. 

On thanksgiving weekend alone, Nintendo sold 500 THOUSAND DS systems in America alone, which represents 90% of all the units available for sale, in the U.S.  They expect to sell 1 million systems in America alone by Christmas (1 month)... by contrast, it took the apple Ipod 19 months to sell 1 million pieces. 

They also sold 800,000 gameboy advance systems in the past week, and in the past 2 weeks, have sold 250,000 gamecubes, a system that has been out for several years now. 

WOW, WHAT A FLOP!!!

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Nintendo DS Selling like Wildfire around the world
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 08:31:06 AM »
I never doubted it would be an initial success. The question that remains is can it last? Nintendo is still fight for 3 rd in a 3 company race. Big deal. Playstation 2 is at about 80 million units world wide, while the original Playstation broke the 100 million mark. I don't care for Sony, but they're way ahead. I can never see Nintendo passing Sony, and for XBox to do it they'd have to come up with a set of killer exclusive games.

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 08:43:59 AM »
Yesterday, Nintendo upped it's projected sales figures for the Nintendo DS, for a second time... this thing is surpassing all sales expectations.  It was originally slated to sell 3.5 million copies by March, then was upped to 4 million copies, and yesterday, they raised estimates to 5 million copies.  Also, they raised estimates on their gameboy advance, which is expected to sell 16 million copies by March.  Profit margins are triple what they were last year. 

On thanksgiving weekend alone, Nintendo sold 500 THOUSAND DS systems in America alone, which represents 90% of all the units available for sale, in the U.S.  They expect to sell 1 million systems in America alone by Christmas (1 month)... by contrast, it took the apple Ipod 19 months to sell 1 million pieces. 

They also sold 800,000 gameboy advance systems in the past week, and in the past 2 weeks, have sold 250,000 gamecubes, a system that has been out for several years now. 

WOW, WHAT A FLOP!!!
that contrast with the ipod isnt that great for the reason being that the ipod when first introduced was a mac only product and did not have a previous ipod that people could relate too...so no one knew how good it was or couldnt base it on any previous products......lets see how many ipods are sold this month alone in december....not to say that the DS is not doing well....because those a great looking numbers...

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:16:21 PM »
Holiday shopping mixed with price slashing mi amigo, what did ya expect?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 06:22:21 PM »
That doesn't devalue the achievement, though.  That's like saying "Yeah, Eminem sold a lot of records, but shit, he lowered the price!!! That's cheating!!!"

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 06:26:02 PM »
No don't get me wrong, it's an achievement. It's just not that big of one considering last week was huge for shoppers. If the sales are steady for the next few months, then I will take my hat off to Nintendo.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 08:58:24 PM »
Do you honestly think they're going to sell half a million in 3 days, and then have shitty sales the next couple months?  Come on man, give a little credit. 

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 09:17:45 PM »
PSP babyyyyyyyyyyyy

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:24:33 PM »
^LOL^ so u'r gonna wait 6 months to another year for a handheld u can only play for four hours on the lowest settings? have fun man!

-KIDRENEGADE-

Thirteen

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 10:40:01 PM »
That doesn't devalue the achievement, though.  That's like saying "Yeah, Eminem sold a lot of records, but shit, he lowered the price!!! That's cheating!!!"

sure it does, if the sales cost doesn't meet the development cost, the money has to come from some where else, which will be the software

Acgrundy

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 05:41:32 AM »
big deal.  Its the holiday season.  90% of video game sales come from christmas alone.  and with a brand name such as nintendo, they better sell that much when the thing first gets released, especially during this time of year.  they only have 2 other competitors, sony and microsoft, and they aren't releasing a brand new system right now, or anytime real soon.  so nintendo basically doesn't have any competition.  you have a shitload of video game players these days, and of course your nintendo groupies such as yourself, that worship nintendo like kaliweed worships snoop, and are gonna get one of these no matter what, and asap.  If they do reach their goal of selling 5 million units by march, I will definately be impressed.  but I think they will drop far short of it.

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 07:23:32 AM »
big deal.  Its the holiday season.  90% of video game sales come from christmas alone.  and with a brand name such as nintendo, they better sell that much when the thing first gets released, especially during this time of year.  they only have 2 other competitors, sony and microsoft, and they aren't releasing a brand new system right now, or anytime real soon.  so nintendo basically doesn't have any competition.  you have a shitload of video game players these days, and of course your nintendo groupies such as yourself, that worship nintendo like kaliweed worships snoop, and are gonna get one of these no matter what, and asap.  If they do reach their goal of selling 5 million units by march, I will definately be impressed.  but I think they will drop far short of it.

Alright, I'll go ahead and quote you as saying that, then laugh hysterically, point, and ridicule when you're proven wrong.