Author Topic: Nas - Street's Disciple Review  (Read 232 times)

dray

Nas - Street's Disciple Review
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:26:11 PM »
Nas - Street's Disciple
@@@@1/2 of 5

Let me first say that I've been listening to Nas since his guest appearance on Main Source's classic track "Live at the Bar-B-Q" back in '91. His first album "Illmatic", which was released in '94, is one of the best rap albums of all time. I was kinda skeptical about this release because its a double album and we all know that most double cds suck--not this one. Nas releases a damn near classic album with this one. Nas always comes correct lyrically but most fans are always worried about the beats used on his albums. Although he didn't use production by legendary beat-maker DJ Premier or newcomer 9th Wonder (who "unofficially" remixed his "God's Son" album), the beats on this album complement Nas' nonchalant flow. The majority of the beats are provided by Salaam Remi, L.E.S., and Chucky Thompson.

Disc: 1

1. Intro

2. A Message To The Feds, Sincerely, We The People - Nas speaks about all the injustices within the "system." Nice track. 4/5

3. Nazareth Savage - This beat is sick! Nas rips it as usual. 4/5

4. American Way - One of my favorite tracks on the album. The "Atomic Dog" beat is freaked and sounds brand new as Nas talks about everything from the Bush administration to the November 2004 elections. This type of commentary is sorely missed from rap music today. 5/5

5. These Are Our Heroes (aka Coon Picnic) - This song is dedicated to our "Uncle Tom" entertainers. He lets UPN, WB, Kobe, Taye Diggs, Cuba Gooding and others have it in this one. Classic track that needs to be heard. 5/5

6. Disciple - I wasn't really feeling this track too much. Beat and chorus is wack. 2/5

7. Sekou Story - Story about hustling--a throwback to the late 80s/early 90s. 3.5/5   

8. Live Now - Nas reminicses on his life while lying on his deathbed with his daughter at his bedside. Female MC Scarlett rips the 2nd verse. Cool track. 5/5

9. Rest Of My Life - I wasn't really feeling this track to much. Nas' rhyming is offbeat on this one. The beat is too soft and laid back. 2/5

10. Just A Moment - This song is dedicated to everybody who has passed away. Lookout for newcomer Quan. Nice "cool out" track. 5/5

11. Reason - Nas talks about his upbringing and dedicates this song to all the fathers. Laid back west coast beat. 4.5/5

12. You Know My Style - Throwback to the 80s. Nice track. 4/5

Disc: 2

1. Suicide Bounce (featuring Busta Rhymes) - An alright track. Beat is OK. 3/5

2. Streets Disciple (feat. Olu Dara) - This is my shit right here! Nas is killing this shit! This beat is straight up gangsta. Classic NYC shit! 5/5

3. U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim) - Classic track! Dedication to the God Rakim Allah. I love how Eric B. & Rakim's "I Ain't No Joke" drum beat is used. 5/5

4. Virgo - Another classic! This song features Ludacris and the "Greatest Entertainer In The World" Doug. E. Fresh. Luda rips this track with his crazy flow and Doug E. Fresh beatboxes throughout the song. Beatboxing is a lost art and Doug E. Fresh is the best at doin' it. 5/5

5. Remember The Times (Intro)

6. Remember The Times - Nas tells you about all his sexcapades over the years. Nice laid-back beat. 5/5

7. The Makings Of A Perfect Bitch - Tight beat, has a west coast feel to it. Nas talks about all the qualities that he likes in a woman and "makes the perfect bitch." 4.5/5

8. Getting Married - Cool track with Nas talking about his wedding day. 4/5

9. No One Else In The Room (featuring Maxwell) - Another cool track. 4/5

10. Bridging The Gap - Dedication to Blues music. Features Nas' pops, Olu Dara. - 4/5

12. Me & You (Dedicated To Destiny) - Dedication to his daughter, Destiny. I like the message but Nas' singing is annoying 3/5

13. Thief's Theme - Classic NYC gully shit. This is the shit Nas was known for back in the day--hard beats and tight lyrics. 5/5

Nas' is clearly the "best rapper alive" and this album proves it. All the tracks are onpoint with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 tracks. This album is needed in rap music today because it really represents what hip hop is all about--self expression. In the age of crunk music and "bling bling" its good to hear an album that is introspective as well as insightful. Nas talks about everything from marriage to hustling to fatherhood. Clearly the best album of 2004 and possibly 2005. If you love lyrics with meaning and tight beats, I suggest you do yourself a favor and cop "Street Disciple".

MANBEARPIG.

Re: Nas - Street's Disciple Review
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 01:01:01 AM »
what about "War"  on disc 2? ???

-KIDRENEGADE-

Traumatized

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 05:22:12 AM »
I agree with you almost totally. It IS great album.

CHEF_RAEKWON

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 05:29:19 AM »
Nas - Street's Disciple
@@@@1/2 of 5

Let me first say that I've been listening to Nas since his guest appearance on Main Source's classic track "Live at the Bar-B-Q" back in '91.

and you think nas and scarlett are different people?

pappy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 10:39:03 AM »
horrible review... the song with maxwell is hands down the worst song on the album.  You get makings of a perfect bitch an between me and you 4.5, easily 2 of the most boring songs on the album. But give suicide bounce a 3/5... horrible review.

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »
i know, its hard to believe nas changes his voice so much as Scarlett. There arent any songs on the album below 3/5 though, and quite a few 5/5's in my opinion. I think "a message to the feds" is a 5 though, you gave it a 4.
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

authentic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 03:55:06 PM »
i feel you on most of the tracks...but u dint say anything about how he has two different nas's on this album. He has the mainstream feel of nas, with beats that get you movin, and beats and flows that are totally chill. My personl favs are "you know my style", "No one else....", "The makings...", "U.B.R", "streets disciple", "nazareth savage"

dray

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 05:59:14 PM »
let me first say that i wrote this review because no one else did on the forum. obviously i am not a professional writer and i did not post this review for criticism or ridicule. i posted it so that other people will post their thoughts and reviews of the album as well. thanks to everyone that posted their review of the album.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 06:01:16 PM by dray »

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 01:17:56 AM »
Personally, im really feelin SD.

No, its not perfect, but alot of the production is spectacular if you ask me. "Nazareth Savage" has one of the most unique beats ive heard in a long while. Nas took it back to the old days on this album, it doesnt have the same commercial appeal as Stillmatic or God's Son, but its just as good as those albums if not better. Well, not sure if its better than Stillmatic yet. Definatly is better than God's Son, IWW, and I Am in my opinion.

I dont know what people want from Nas. He is one of the few MC's that drops something with substance to meet hip hop fans demands that rappers dont talk about ice, hoez, and cars anymore....yet when does just that, they STILL are not happy. Hip hop fans are too fickle sometimes.

SD is an excellent album, by any standards.
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0