Author Topic: What are some good graphics cards that support DirectX 9?  (Read 186 times)

Sikotic™

What are some good graphics cards that support DirectX 9?
« on: December 25, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
...oh, and that are cheap? Christmas kinda left my funds dry. Fuckin Half Life 2 says I got an unsupported vid card so I guess I gotta go out and buy one.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Thirteen

Re: What are some good graphics cards that support DirectX 9?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 08:05:19 PM »
cheapest decent one would be ati 9600, has pixel shading which is essential for alot of the newer graphics heavy games but it is the bottom of the pixel shading bunch

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 08:58:46 PM »
wats da best video card out right now?

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 09:04:51 PM »
The best of the old gen cards are the Radeon 9800 XT and the Nvidia 5900/5950.   Don't bother buying anything lower than that.  But arguably the best video card out there is the Nvidia 6800 GT.  This does cost a pretty penny though so for people who can't afford it, Nvidia has now come out with a less expensive, but powerful Geforce 6600.  This will play ANY game out today with a good, smooth framerate and antialiasing/anisotropic filtering on(provided you have a good comp).  The lower version of it is pretty cheap, and costs about the same as a 9800(but is more powerful), but the more powerful version of it (the 6600 GT) costs a bit more, but is still the best bang for the buck.  Make sure you get the AGP version though, the PCI-E version is more common and cheaper.
Considering the fact that so far the 9800 and 6600 prices are mostly around the same, the best option would be to cop a 6600 (preferabaly the 6600 GT DDR3)

Addendum:
ATI, not to be outdone, has also released a few cards, like the x800 and x600.  They're both a bit more expensive than the Nvidia cards, but overall the Nvidia cards do out preform ATI in many tests.  All in all, it really doesn't matter if you choose Nvidia or ATI, since both of them have produced video cards that can easily run any game to date fantastically.  But personally id go for Nvidia for the great drivers, affordability and personal preference.

-b[X]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 09:09:19 PM by bLaDe HeLi[X] »
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 09:38:25 PM »
The best of the old gen cards are the Radeon 9800 XT and the Nvidia 5900/5950.   Don't bother buying anything lower than that.  But arguably the best video card out there is the Nvidia 6800 GT.  This does cost a pretty penny though so for people who can't afford it, Nvidia has now come out with a less expensive, but powerful Geforce 6600.  This will play ANY game out today with a good, smooth framerate and antialiasing/anisotropic filtering on(provided you have a good comp).  The lower version of it is pretty cheap, and costs about the same as a 9800(but is more powerful), but the more powerful version of it (the 6600 GT) costs a bit more, but is still the best bang for the buck.  Make sure you get the AGP version though, the PCI-E version is more common and cheaper.
Considering the fact that so far the 9800 and 6600 prices are mostly around the same, the best option would be to cop a 6600 (preferabaly the 6600 GT DDR3)

Addendum:
ATI, not to be outdone, has also released a few cards, like the x800 and x600.  They're both a bit more expensive than the Nvidia cards, but overall the Nvidia cards do out preform ATI in many tests.  All in all, it really doesn't matter if you choose Nvidia or ATI, since both of them have produced video cards that can easily run any game to date fantastically.  But personally id go for Nvidia for the great drivers, affordability and personal preference.

-b[X]
cheapest decent one would be ati 9600, has pixel shading which is essential for alot of the newer graphics heavy games but it is the bottom of the pixel shading bunch

Did I ever tell you guys that I love you intimately in the most heterosexual way possible?  ;D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Thirteen

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 09:53:10 PM »
you're about 3 weeks behind Blade, ATI has the ATI x850 XT Platinum Editio... blows every other card out the water and it's only $470.64  ;D

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 10:03:38 PM »
you're about 3 weeks behind Blade, ATI has the ATI x850 XT Platinum Editio... blows every other card out the water and it's only $470.64 ;D

Shit, yeah you're right, I forgot about that.  That shit is expensive though, for me anyway.  But the 6800 Ultra still outpreforms it in some games including Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield Vietnam etc.  Overall it isnt a massive difference from the x800, it's around 3%(?) or so better than the x800xt PE(around 2 fps more ).  Infact if you look at it, they have like around 10 models of the cards, it gets kinda confusing. Still, it's a fucking insane card that i'd love to have, lol.

-b[X]
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Thirteen

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 10:16:34 PM »
http://gear.ign.com/articles/570/570698p1.html

the ati card is better in every way except F/S while playing doom 3