Author Topic: Rudy T. Resigning?  (Read 179 times)

MethRed

• Lil Geezy
Rudy T. Resigning?
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »
Tomjanovich considering resigning as Lakers coach

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
February 1, 2005
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Rudy Tomjanovich is considering resigning as Los Angeles Lakers coach because of health reasons, a team spokesman said Tuesday.

ESPN.com reported that Tomjanovich would step down following Tuesday night's game against Portland. Spokesman John Black said that would not be the case.

``He's considering several options and resigning is one of them. That decision has not been made,'' Black said. ``There won't be an announcement tonight. He won't coach tonight because he's not feeling well. This has nothing to do with cancer.''

Tomjanovich, who won a pair of NBA championships with the Houston Rockets, missed Los Angeles' win over Charlotte on Sunday night because of a stomach virus. He returned to the coaching ranks this season after recovering from bladder cancer.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen, the only holdover from former coach Phil Jackson's staff, guided the team against the Bobcats and will coach them against the Trail Blazers.

Black said Tomjanovich has had a sinus infection as well as the stomach virus.

``It's health-related,'' Black said about Tomjanovich's absence. ``He loves the team and the team loves him.''

After cutting ties with Jackson and trading Shaquille O'Neal during the offseason, the Lakers have been a mediocre team this season. They were 23-19 going into Tuesday's game against the Trail Blazers.

Black said he had no idea when Tomjanovich will be back on the bench -- if indeed he stays on the job.

Tomjanovich signed a 5-year, $30 million contract last summer.

``He has discussed this with the appropriate people in the organization,'' Black said. ``When he does make a decision, it will be announced at the appropriate time.''

Tomjanovich succeeded Jackson when the Lakers did not renew his contract. Jackson led the Lakers to three consecutive NBA championships as well as a berth in the finals last June, when they were upset by Detroit.

The Lakers traded O'Neal to Miami and kept Kobe Bryant after the season, re-signing the guard to a 7-year, $136.4 million contract.

Bryant sprained his right ankle Jan. 13 and hasn't played since.

Tomjanovich guided Houston to NBA titles in 1994 and 1995. He spent his entire playing career in the Rockets' organization.

If he does resign, who do you think might be the next coach? Maybe Phil might come back, but I highly doubt it...

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Rudy T. Resigning?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »
lol Phil coming back? If Phil coaches again it will be with the Knicks.

acbaylove

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 06:36:57 AM »
lol Phil coming back? If Phil coaches again it will be with the Knicks.

Dont be so sure about it. He's still the "boyfriend" (lol) of Buss' daughter and, no matter what, he still wanted to coach the Lakers. It was been Buss to tell him "bye bye".

Crazy shit tho. Who knows?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 07:12:56 AM »
I bet he rather resigns because Lakers struggle to make it to the Playoffs  ;)
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

acbaylove

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 07:45:20 AM »
This year without Rudy T is totally wasted for the Lakers.
A broken project is nothing to be happy about.
P.S. Rudy T wanted to play triangle again.. i dont know. Phil now could be the best thing, restoring triangle.
We will play a "perfect" one without a dominant center, like in Chicago.
We have the perfect players now.

Kobe <> MJ
Odom <> Pippen
Mihm <> Longley

plus a tall PG (Vujacic), and Cook who can shoot from 3pts. It's perfect. More than last year.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 12:32:04 PM »
so phil breaks the locker room code and just like that they will welcome him back with open arms?  U think Jerry buss a bitch?

acbaylove

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 04:46:58 PM »
I dont know. I think Lakers are without a coach now, cause Rudy just officially resigned.

acbaylove

Tomjanovich Resigns
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »
Saying he was exhausted by self-imposed pressure to excel, Rudy Tomjanovich resigned as coach of the Lakers today, 43 games into a tenure he hoped would bring him a third NBA title.

Tomjanovich, in the first season of a five-year, $30-million contract, said he had agreed to stay on as a consultant with the team as soon as he has recovered from the stomach virus that prevented him from coaching the last two games.

"I gave it everything I got, and maybe I took on too much," Tomjanovich said during a news conference at the Lakers' training facility in El Segundo. "Nobody put pressure on me but me.

"As time went by, I started to feel my resistance going down. I went from this energetic, pumped up guy, to being sapped of my energy. It seemed like I got deeper and deeper into not feeling good. Why this happened now, and why my body wasn't feeling good, I don't have the answer."

Frank Hamblen, the longtime assistant coach who guided the Lakers to victories over the Charlotte Bobcats and Portland Trailblazers in Tomjanovich's absence, will continue to handle the coaching duties for the foreseeable future. Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak said he felt no sense of urgency to hire a replacement.

Kupchak acknowledged that former Laker Coach Phil Jackson, who led the team to three NBA titles, would be included in the list of possible successors.

"If that's something they want to roll with, I'll roll with it," guard Kobe Bryant said after practice, when asked if he would have any objection to the Lakers bringing back Jackson.

Tomjanovich informed his players of his decision this morning in a tearful meeting. "It was tough," center Chris Mihm said. "To see Rudy like that, you can tell just how much it's been wearing on him. He looked worn down."

Tomjanovich, 56, who had guided the Houston Rockets to two NBA titles, finished his Laker career with a 24-19 record, having been credited with the two victories under Hamblen. The Lakers play host to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday at Staples Center.