Author Topic: Me Against The World - 10 year anniverssary appreciation thread...  (Read 134 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Well, this month (or early next month) marks the 10 year anniverssary of this classic albums release. How did you feel about this album when it dropped in 1995?? How do you feel about it now?? Drop your thoughts on it here.

For me, this album is signifigant because it was the first Tupac album I purchased. I had already heard him and liked him through his earlier singles, but this was the first album I bought of his and its where I really started to become a fan.

"If I Die 2Nite" still sends chills to me to this day, because of its dark overtone and the circumstances surrounding Pac at the time. With all kinds of legal trouble, getting shot 5 times, and a pending prison sentence on the horizon, it truly was Pac against the World. Much of what he was going through at the time was really put to pen and resulted in this extremely personal, passionate, autobiographical album. Unlike 2Pacalypse Now or Strictly 4 My NIGGAZ, which were both political/militant influenced albums, Me Against The World was almost like a cinematic experience of Pac's life. This is the album where Pac began to really grow as an artist and songwriter, and also, it was his first #1 album.....although it didnt push as many units as his later two classics, All Eyez On Me and Makaveli did, it did stay at the top spot longer, for an incredible 4 consecutive weeks.....it would go on to sell 3 million copies and was also Pac's personal fav album that he made (though that may have changed when he recorded 7 Day Theory). Pac seems much more vulnerable on this album, you can even tell in his voice, which sounds more strained on this album. The emotion displayed here is undeniable, and still strikes a chord with many listeners today. With that said, here are my thoughts on each individual song.

1. Intro - A very telling and informative intro that sets the tone for the album. Taken from various newscasts, it talks of many of the troubles and controversy surrounding him at the time.

2. If I Die 2Nite - To date, this is one of his most prophetic songs ever....very dark and tragic in sound, it sounds perhaps even more chilling today then it did 10 years ago. Dude predicted his own death!! Truly, he saw something that we didnt.....A great song overall.

3. Me Against The World - This song is pretty self explanatory. Although I think the beat could have been better, the lyrics are once again undeniable. His second verse in particular is a standout and perhaps one of the finest he ever penned. The Outlawz guest appearance is aight, but slows the song down a bit. But still a good song overall.

4. So Many Tears - It really doesnt get much better than this. Simply one of the most beautiful and deepest songs ever penned in ANY genre of music. This is like a suicide letter on wax. You can tell he was in one of his darkest hours when he wrote this. The Stevie Wonder sample works superbly, but Pac's four verses are what really make this song a musical masterpiece. Quite possibly the best song on the album, and one of the best in his almost endless catalog of gems.

5. Temptations - This is pretty much the only club/good times song on the album. Though he speaks about the pressures of staying faithful while on the road in a relationship, this is a good song to play at a party. The beat is uptempo and the song just has a very catchy feel to it. Though its not a personal fav of mine, it gives the album a little more scope.

6. Young Niggaz - A very introspective joint, kinda a prelude to Shortys Gonna Be a Thug, but this song is more articulate. The beat is ok, though not great. Pac's lyrics and message definatly shine though, and its a very positive song. Kids who dont have much direction or hanging out with the wrong crowd would do good to give this one a listen and heed the message.

7. Heavy In the Game - Classic west coast Bay Area beat here, and Pac and Richie Rich trade some nice verses. Though not as deep as some of the previous songs, its still real. Pretty much a song about the trappings of the industry and a reflection of what Pac was going through at the time. Classic song overall.

8. Lord Knows - Wow. This is emotional Pac at his finest....beat is dope, but Pac's lyrics again are the highlight. Three of his best verses are penned here, but the last one especially strikes a chord. One of my favs on the album.

9. Dear Mama - What can I say about this track?? One of his biggest hits, and one of the most emotional and loved hip hop songs ever made. If you dont like this song, you may want to go to the doctor and make sure your heart is pumping blood still. Classic to say the least.

10. It Aint Easy - How do you follow up a great song like Dear Mama?? You follow it up with another incredible gem like this one. Nice laid back beat, and again Pac comes correct with every verse. Chorus is addictive, and the song overall seems to show that perhaps Pac KNEW that a prison sentence was inevitable.

11. Can U Get Away - Believe it or not, this is possibly my least fav song on the album.....I know I know, blasphemy. The message is great, as it alerts women in destructive relationships, but I dont care for the beat, and the way Pac raps kinda gives the song a cheesy feel. I think its a great concept song that had much more potential.

12. Old School - This song has some personal lyrics about his childhood, but of course, its a tribute/respect to those who influenced him more than anything else. The beat is nice, great sample, and great lyrics that make you think back. I play this track on the regular.

13. Fuck The World - this is one of the few instances where the "angry" side of Pac comes out, a side we would see alot more of when he joined Death Row. The beat is ok, nothing great. Pac's lyrics are raw though, and his delivery undeniable. "Who you callin rapist?/Aint that a bitch, you devils are so two faced".......Pac knew inside he was innocent of that rape/sexual abuse charge, yet he could do nothing about it. I think his frustration really showed through this song here.

14. Death Around the Corner - Another angry joint, but of a different kind. This is more of a street song. The sample from the movie "The Untouchables" works great and this is another personal fav of mine on the album.

15. Outlaw - Similiar concept to Young Niggaz, but this is where Pac contradicts himself a bit. In Young Niggaz, he warned kids who were on the wrong path, but in this song, it is glorified. This conflict of interest was one of the trade marks in Pac's music, and it was a strength as well as a weakness. This is one of the things that made his music so compelling and interesting to listen to.

Overall, Me Against The World is an undeniable hip hop classic, and one of my top 10 albums ever....5 mothafuckin mics....Pac created a masterpiece that has stood the test of time, and album that hip hop fans will enjoy for many years to come. Hard to believe its been 10 years since this dropped....

RIP Pac, and thanks for a great album!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:05:18 AM by I_Rock_J's_424 »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

GangstaBoogy

Re: Me Against The World - 10 year anniverssary appreciation thread...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 01:26:49 AM »
now this album was hot! this was when Pac was speakin real shiet and not bein Suge's puppet. i loved that "Me Against the World" beat.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 01:31:49 AM »
His Death Row stuff is real too, especially 7 Day Theory.....its just that all these albums were recorded under different circumstances. He was in a different mindstate when he did each album, and I will explain this when I do the All Eyez On Me appreciation thread next year!

I never understood why some people love his pre-Death Row work but hate AEOM and Makaveli, or vice versa....me, I have an appreciation for ALL his work.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:34:37 AM by I_Rock_J's_424 »

Thirteen

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 01:38:56 AM »
i have much love for this cd... it's just an all around near classic for me

acbaylove

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 01:46:11 AM »
Classic.

We Fly High

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 02:45:35 AM »
yup. i love so many tears, fuck the world, heavy in the game

wait what part of the death around the corner samples the untouchables.  it doesnt sound like the beginning of it is from untouchables..
and the "when we were kids, ....... having respect, that feels even better" that part is from American Me, og classic prison movie.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 02:48:02 AM »
^^^end of the song.

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
NO MORE WAR

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 06:44:59 AM »
yeah this shit is a classic man...First # 1 album by an inmate and this album made pac become a rap star.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »
i was actually just bumpin this yest.. kinda ironic casue i havent listened to it for like a year.. i love the album..