Author Topic: The Message  (Read 204 times)

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Message
« on: October 08, 2005, 11:40:49 AM »
I know this is the song that started the beef between tupac and nas because pac said nas was tryin to be like him. I also know they squashed their beef, but I NEVER understood who or what nas was talkin about in that song. I heard ohter people say it was directed a biggie, but I just don't see it. Obviously it has something to do with the 1994 shooting because nas mentions about 'gettin shot five times'. Could someone point me in the right direction with this song?
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

We Fly High

Re: The Message
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 12:07:59 PM »
well i was reading somewhere that pac got pissed cos he thought nas was talking about him, but nas claimed that he was talking about one of his homies from the hood that got shot 5 times and came out the hospital the same night..
and i dunno, the whole "I gave you Power" and "me and my girlfriend" concepts
and also with "street dreams" and "all eyez on me"

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 12:38:37 PM »
Interesting. This is the first time I heard about Nas saying 'The Message' was about one of his homies. As far as 'I gave you power' I know Outlawz said that song inspired Pac to do 'Me and My Girlfriend'. As far as 'Street Dreams' and 'All Eyez on Me' goes, I think it was coincedence they sampled the same beat. It's not the first time it happen in rap.

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 02:25:37 PM »
AllHipHop.com: At one point, PAC said you studied his life in the papers and that you wanted to be him, when he mentioned you getting shot 5 times. What was that all about?

Nas: (laughs) Nah, nah. See, what he's doing is, we are talking about rhymes. And he's listening to my song "The Message" and I'm talking about altercations that happen in my neighborhood. Where a friend of mine was shot and came out of the hospital and came out the next night and I talk about it as if it was me. And so he's listening to the rhymes, see he's really into the music. Which is why he made "Me and My girlfriend," which is a spin-off
of my song "I Gave You Power."

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 02:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the interview. I guess it makes sense now because Nas was talking as if it was him getting shot five times, but it was from the perspective of his homie which means this song was a story. I didn't think it was a diss because when you listen to the lyrics, it doesnt add up. I guess it also removes the rumor of this song being a diss to Biggie which leads to another question? How did the beef between Nas and Biggie get started? Was it for the King of New York title?

ABN

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »
Thanks for the interview. I guess it makes sense now because Nas was talking as if it was him getting shot five times, but it was from the perspective of his homie which means this song was a story. I didn't think it was a diss because when you listen to the lyrics, it doesnt add up. I guess it also removes the rumor of this song being a diss to Biggie which leads to another question? How did the beef between Nas and Biggie get started? Was it for the King of New York title?
listen to We Will Survive off of I Am and you´ll find out that there never was any real beef between Nas and Big. dunno how it started but there was controversy back in the days with some people(including Wu-Tang)who accuseed Biggie of stealin his album cover from Illmatic so maybe that had something to do with it?

We Fly High

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 06:12:30 PM »
some people thought that one of the verrses from kick in the door was directed at nas.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 06:47:32 PM »
i read sumwhere that Nas on a song by Mobb Deep which was dissin Pac after his death...anybody know how tru this is?

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Wicked977

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 818 VALLE Bitches!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 06:53:30 PM »
I thought that when Nas says in the song

"One Life One Love so there could only be one king" was ment for Biggie

& also I thought that B.I.G dissed Nas on that Victory Line when he says

" Your Fam Destany Lays in My Hand" Destany is Nas doughter name

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 07:56:13 PM »
^True I also forgot about those subliminal shots.

listen to We Will Survive off of I Am and you´ll find out that there never was any real beef between Nas and Big. dunno how it started but there was controversy back in the days with some people(including Wu-Tang)who accuseed Biggie of stealin his album cover from Illmatic so maybe that had something to do with it?
I listened to that song along with 'Last Real Niggas Alive' and it does look like Nas's beef with BIG was due to people like Raekwon saying Biggie stoled Nas's Illmatic cover. Plus I have little doubt that Nas wanted the KONY title, so combined both of those factors and you have a beef.