Author Topic: why are there no death row tracks on kurupts Greatest hits?  (Read 431 times)

Acgrundy

why are there no death row tracks on kurupts Greatest hits?
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:10:25 AM »
that was when he was in his prime.  Puffin on blunts, ain't no fun, stranded on death row, doggy dogg world, have kurupts best verses EVER.  not to mention all his dope raps on dogg food.  do you think suge wouldn't let them put any material on it?

overall tho it is a pretty banging greatest hits.  I haven't listened to most of those albums in quite awhile and I forgot how dope some of those songs are. 

Treat me like a lady off of Dillinger and Gotti, has a really dope beat.  I don't think I ever really appreciated it as much as I do now.  Mike Dean and Daz really put together a lot of very solid beats on that album.

Don Seer

Re: why are there no death row tracks on kurupts Greatest hits?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 11:11:33 AM »
maybe because they weren't put out as solo's on DR.. since he was never signed there as a solo artist back in the day... or maybe because of legal shit.. ?

C-clamp

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 11:24:30 AM »
I think this album is being put out on antra or whatever his old label was, cause he still owes them an album, by releasing this, he meets that obligation and he can finally get his new death row stuff out

mauzip

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 11:26:03 AM »
^^i heard he still has to release 1 more album after this greatest hits cd before he can drop atg

Acgrundy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 11:27:28 AM »
it is being released by like bungalo or some shit.  some label bought antra I believe.  either way, they could still get dr tracks with permission from suge.  suge owns all publishings to all of kurupts work when he was first on the row.  and suge wouldn't even give up a track or 2 for kurupt?  thats fucked up if you ask me.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »
^^i heard he still has to release 1 more album after this greatest hits cd before he can drop atg
Good, then we'll get more Kurupt shit 8)

mauzip

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 11:32:40 AM »
or not...

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 11:39:36 AM »
like overseer said,i think it has to do with legal situations
maybe the executives at bungalo didn't want to put death row tracks cause they should have paid suge...?!

Acgrundy

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 11:43:53 AM »
they would only have to pay suge if he wanted to charge them.  he owns the publishing, which means he can do whatever the fuck he wants.  I understand he is a businessman and all, but c'mon, we are talking about kurupt here.  the guy who left his click to come back and be suge's vice president.  It would just be a nice gesture to give up a track or two for free for kurupts sake.  but then again, maybe kurupt ain't makin a dime off this thing.

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 11:51:55 AM »
can they bend the rules with publishing like that? :P

Acgrundy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 11:58:59 AM »
suge owns the publishing.  they are his to do whatever he wants.  thats what made suge so different from people like puffy.  if someone wants gin and juice, suge can charge whatever he wants.  no one else makes money off it, no other label people.  so suge can give a song or even a whole album if he wants.  dumb thing to do through a business perspective, but nice thing to do through a friend perspective of kurupt.  I'm betting kurupt doesn't make any money at all off this album.  Antra already paid kurupt and then he owed them albums.  now he is just doing whatever he can to put together an album, just like he did with The originals.

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 12:56:16 PM »
suge owns the publishing.  they are his to do whatever he wants.  thats what made suge so different from people <snip>
Antra already paid kurupt and then he owed them albums.  now he is just doing whatever he can to put together an album, just like he did with The originals.

so you are saying it wouldn't make sense for suge to give antra a song as kurupt won't get paid off of it?
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam

Acgrundy

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »
suge owns the publishing.  they are his to do whatever he wants.  thats what made suge so different from people <snip>
Antra already paid kurupt and then he owed them albums.  now he is just doing whatever he can to put together an album, just like he did with The originals.

so you are saying it wouldn't make sense for suge to give antra a song as kurupt won't get paid off of it?

yes.  it would make sense for suge to sell them some songs if kurupt wasn't gonna get paid for this album, but it wouldn't make sense for him to give them songs.  which then makes sense why antra wouldn't put death row songs on the greatest hits, because they would have to pay for them.  why would they pay for them, when they have a shitload of songs already at their disposale for free.  it would only make sense for suge to give up songs for free if kurupt was going to make money off of the sales of the album, and it would only make sense as suge doing a favor to kurupt.

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »
maybe because they weren't put out as solo's on DR.. since he was never signed there as a solo artist back in the day... or maybe because of legal shit.. ?

It's most likely legal shit..........

alaskanbrad

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 01:43:59 PM »
these songs were good, that dillinger & young gotti tape was weird, they were talking about smoking crack and doing heroin, cant say i relate to that. kurupt didnt really have any solo songs with death row that i can remember, just small parts on songs, but he was really good, that dogg food is probably one of the best rap albums ever