Author Topic: WHAT DOESN'T MAKE RAPPERS FALL OFF  (Read 471 times)

Capo Di Tutti I Capi

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: WHAT DOESN'T MAKE RAPPERS FALL OFF
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 04:29:26 AM »
Not becomming Snoop....

doubletrouble™

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • .. ChErch! ..
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 05:14:03 AM »
Keep it original and loyal fans too coz niggaz keep it original and fans stop buying their music anyway...........

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 05:15:08 AM »

Uhm, there is nothing experimental about Outkast.
Then how do you explain the fact that they have a new sound and new subject matter with every album?

They change their style. Jesus Christ. You people have no idea what experimental music is. Outkast, are not experimental.
Go listen to Paul Lansky's Mild Und Leise. Or My Bloody Valentine's To Here Knows When. Or Astro Black by Sun Ra. That's experimental music. Not Outkast, they simply change their style. All Alkaholiks albums have a different sound, but there is no way in hell they are experimental.

'EclipZe

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 06:00:14 AM »
Keep it original and loyal fans too coz niggaz keep it original and fans stop buying their music anyway...........

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 09:15:54 AM »

Then how do you explain the fact that they have a new sound and new subject matter with every album?

They change their style. Jesus Christ. You people have no idea what experimental music is. Outkast, are not experimental.
Go listen to Paul Lansky's Mild Und Leise. Or My Bloody Valentine's To Here Knows When. Or Astro Black by Sun Ra. That's experimental music. Not Outkast, they simply change their style. All Alkaholiks albums have a different sound, but there is no way in hell they are experimental.

This topic was about rappers (hip-hop music).  Name a few hip-hop artists/groups that have been more experimental from album to album then Outkast?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 11:11:29 AM »
and any real Nirvana fan that got passed his/her "omfgz li3k k3rt c0bane waz my id0l" phase would tell you that In Utero is their best

And if I'm the first person to tell you this, everyone you know has a shit taste in rock music.

get off that high horse of yours, you know some stuff about music, but this behavior is kinda annoying

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 12:46:54 PM »

This topic was about rappers (hip-hop music).  Name a few hip-hop artists/groups that have been more experimental from album to album then Outkast?

DJ Shadow (used completely new sampling techniques), Grandwizard Theodore (invented the scratch), DJ Kool Herc (invented the form of music in which your recycle old music).

The thing that set hip-hop apart from other genres was generally the production style (take old music, chop it up, manipulate it, mix it, done), so the real experimentation was in the beats. And that's what they did.

Outkast didn't experiment. They aren't experimental, at all. They just evolved as artists. Big fucking deal.

and any real Nirvana fan that got passed his/her "omfgz li3k k3rt c0bane waz my id0l" phase would tell you that In Utero is their best

And if I'm the first person to tell you this, everyone you know has a shit taste in rock music.

get off that high horse of yours

Never.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 12:59:05 PM by The New Pollution »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 04:56:24 PM »

get off that high horse of yours

Never.

ok...so well, NEVERMIND IS BETTER THAN BLEACH, BEYATCH. I agree In Utero was their best though

btw, was the group in my sig experimental by your definition?

Westside Soldier

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 09:11:50 PM »
consistency
not selling out
originality

are definate. 8) 8) 8)

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2005, 02:16:02 AM »
btw, was the group in my sig experimental by your definition?

I think they're on the border line. They were extremely creative, though. And they didn't do much some avant garde jazz artists did before.

I remember them making a secret message, though, on purpose. Which I think no one has ever done before.

But, I never cared much for Pink Floyd - great band, nonetheless, and I listen to them sometimes - so I don't know. If there's anything experimental they've done, I've yet to hear it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:22:51 AM by The New Pollution »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 05:58:34 AM »

DJ Shadow (used completely new sampling techniques), Grandwizard Theodore (invented the scratch), DJ Kool Herc (invented the form of music in which your recycle old music).

The thing that set hip-hop apart from other genres was generally the production style (take old music, chop it up, manipulate it, mix it, done), so the real experimentation was in the beats. And that's what they did.

That's still not what this thread was about.  The thread was about rappers who have longevity, and if experimentation helped them to remain relevant.  You listed DJ's, not rappers, and it wasn't about just coming up with one sound, the thread was about having longevity in the game and experimenting from one sound, style, or image, to another one.  Your way off topic, start a rock thread to talk about all this, so I will know not to enter the thread, except to say that Rock is nothing compared to hip-hop, and that hip-hop outsells rock 2 to 1, and that the only Rock music that is decent now, steals their concepts from hip-hop.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 11:02:57 AM »
experimentation is the exact reason i havent listened to outkast in 7-8 years.

i think theres only two rappers of a high caliber who have never fallen off. one of them is retired(masta ace), and the other one is kool g rap, who still outshines young cats like saigon, and could probably spit that way for 20 more years. the real goat 8)
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2005, 11:08:31 AM »

That's still not what this thread was about. The thread was about rappers who have longevity, and if experimentation helped them to remain relevant. You listed DJ's, not rappers, and it wasn't about just coming up with one sound, the thread was about having longevity in the game and experimenting from one sound, style, or image, to another one. Your way off topic, start a rock thread to talk about all this, so I will know not to enter the thread, except to say that Rock is nothing compared to hip-hop, and that hip-hop outsells rock 2 to 1, and that the only Rock music that is decent now, steals their concepts from hip-hop.

i fuckin hate you and your stupitidy, so the only good rock, that is out now, is the 1, that takes old classic hits, "samples" them, throws them in a loop, with some drum and bass, and throws lyrics glorifying violence, pimping, and other illegal acts... ??? thats wat your trying to say right? you dumb fuck

The New Pollution

• Lil Geezy
  • > You
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2005, 07:50:52 PM »

That's still not what this thread was about.  The thread was about rappers who have longevity, and if experimentation helped them to remain relevant.  You listed DJ's, not rappers, and it wasn't about just coming up with one sound, the thread was about having longevity in the game and experimenting from one sound, style, or image, to another one.  Your way off topic, start a rock thread to talk about all this, so I will know not to enter the thread, except to say that Rock is nothing compared to hip-hop, and that hip-hop outsells rock 2 to 1, and that the only Rock music that is decent now, steals their concepts from hip-hop.

Steal their concepts from hip-hop? It's the other fucking way around. You know nothing about rock music, nothing. Hip-hop started out as mixing various genres of music. Hip-hop DJs STOLE music from others, and made it their own - and I don't care how it's made, if it's good, it sounds good, so I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Your hero Dr Dre sampled a "No Doubt" song. But because of his record sales and the fact that he makes rap music, makes him oriniginal and experimental, right? Doesn't matter much anyway. Both No Doubt and Dr Dre bore the fuck out of me, anyway.

And if record sales are so fucking important, I guess artists like Slint suck and rappers like MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice are the greatest.
And as for now, rock music is a lot more creative than hip-hop. Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Opeth, Dillinger Escape Plan, Slint, Radiohead, etc. Are all more creative than anything in hip-hop right now. Besides maybe Madlib and Dalek. I love both genres as much, though.

And another thing. Outkast do not experiment, they make different music on every album, that's not experimenting, that's making other kinds of music, there is nothing experimental about it. The Love Below was not experimental. Just because he Andre was singing and used poppy - yes, I said poppy - melodies, does not mean he's experimental. He just made something different. If having a different sound on every album makes you experimental, I guess Britney Spears is experimental becaue "Toxic" sounds nothing like her first single.

Christ, when will people fucking understand. It's like talking to a brick wall.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 08:13:18 PM by The New Pollution »

davida.b.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 08:08:45 PM »
Geez, I almost forgot how fucking stupid Infinite was.