Author Topic: Mos Def  (Read 378 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Mos Def
« on: April 03, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
Do you feel that Mos Def should continue in his current direction (not just Hip-Hop but combining different elements of Rock, R&B, and Blues) or go back to his old style of just strictly rapping?

Personally I feel he should continue his growth as an artist. I feel that Mos could definetly be up there with music greats if he continues to release albums venturing into new territories. If he were to release 4-5 more albums over a number of years displaying the growth of The New Danger album I would be happy. However if he goes to back to rapping he'll be another rapper that eventually goes into relative obscurity.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Leggy Hendrix

Re: Mos Def
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 03:44:50 PM »
on one hand i'd be interested to see what happened if he continued in the direction he seemed to take with his last album but at the same time im dying to hear another pure hip hop album like black on both sides from mos...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
tbh i don´t think Mos Has the talent as a musician to be ´up there with the greats´, but still, i´d like him to explore new territories, or to keep doing so, cause it might influence hiphop and inspire other rap artists to contribute to the genre not getting stuck in repetitiousness and a general lack of innovation. A problem in hiphop today is IMO that a lot is based on the same old patterns and formulas that have become redundant, so i appreciate anybody who might pave the way for the growth and evolution of the music

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 04:28:32 PM »
Lincoln and Kill said exactly what I was thinking fro some points.  I feel if Mos goes back to just rapping his career will defintely wane andhe may becam solely an actor at that point.  I want him to expand as an artist as much as possible, The New Danger wa shis first crack at that and he's done it well soo with time growth  is imminent and his style will be perfected whereas in the rap game I think he's reached his pinnacle and its time for him to expand.

-KIDRENEGADE-

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »
Considering The New Danger was a terrible album I'm pretty such he should stick to rapping and making hip-hop tracks.

ecrazy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 04:58:10 PM »
I looked at the New danger as that CD he said he was going to put out with his group Black Jack Johnson, He Just titled it under his name....Dope CD IMO, i hope he does do more experimental things like that, i hope most artists change up their styles too, makes music more suprising and unexpected like....like "Whoa, i didnt know this dude could flow like this" kinda stuff

We Fly High

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 05:00:37 PM »
i would love to hear a strictly hip hop joint like black on both sides, but i know at the same time expecting that would be extremely limiting mos defs potential as an all around musician. black on both sides is some raw ass hip hop. like in its purest form, probably my favorite cd that has come out since 2000 hands down. its in my top 15 cds too fasho. i didnt like new danger that much, but i understand where he was trying to go, and that is basically just his beginning stages of his development, and in time he will be able to solidify his skills in other forms of music to the point that he has accomplished with hip hop.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 05:15:19 PM »
Do you feel that Mos Def should continue in his current direction (not just Hip-Hop but combining different elements of Rock, R&B, and Blues) or go back to his old style of just strictly rapping?

Personally I feel he should continue his growth as an artist. I feel that Mos could definetly be up there with music greats if he continues to release albums venturing into new territories. If he were to release 4-5 more albums over a number of years displaying the growth of The New Danger album I would be happy. However if he goes to back to rapping he'll be another rapper that eventually goes into relative obscurity.

No way!  That shows how racist society is whenever a black artist starts doing rock music they call it growth.  I don't consider it growth, it's borderline selling out.  He came up with a plan at his record label to attract alternative fans to his music.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »

No way!  That shows how racist society is whenever a black artist starts doing rock music they call it growth.  I don't consider it growth, it's borderline selling out.  He came up with a plan at his record label to attract alternative fans to his music.

Rock is Black music. Besides, he didn't just do Rock, it was more Blues/Soul than anything.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »
i like that hes venturing, and i love is singing, but i agree with knuckles, i dont think its a great record, but we do need someone is the game to do inovative shit

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 05:26:52 PM »
By the way Infinite, your post implied I was a racist. A while ago you PMed me explaining you didn't feel I should have personally attacked you, only your post. You are being a hypocrite.

Paris

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 05:31:28 PM »

Rock is Black music. Besides, he didn't just do Rock, it was more Blues/Soul than anything.

Whatever you call it, it was 1/10th of his earlier work.  Back then he was innovative.  You can be innovative just staying hip-hop.  When Dre and Warren G started producing the G-Funk sound that was innovative.  They didn't have to cross over to be innovative.  When Outkast did Bombs Over Baghdad with that techno beat, that was innovative.  The way DJ Premier mixes and scratches old records to make something new and fresh is innovative.  And it doesn't have to be with an instrument.  The things Mos Def was rapping about made him innovative.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 05:36:20 PM »
By the way Infinite, your post implied I was a racist. A while ago you PMed me explaining you didn't feel I should have personally attacked you, only your post. You are being a hypocrite.

I can't account for what you think my post might have 'implied'.   I have some 2pac lyrics about the Pope posted in the West Coast Forum and everyone starting taking my words and questioning whether or not 2pac predicted the Popes death!  I can't help that.  People take the things I say many different ways.  I don't think that you are a racist, but I do think that society in general, in the West, is racist.  And that's exactly what I said, that society was racist.  I didn't say that you were a racist.  If you have anything more to say about this issue, I will only talk to you about it through Personal Messages, because I like you, and I wouldn't say anything bad about you in public.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 05:40:29 PM »
hip hop hasnt really been inovative for some time... maybe an album here and there, but...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 05:41:48 PM »
hip hop hasnt really been inovative for some time... maybe an album here and there, but...

You mean that commercial hip-hop hasn't been innovative.  Commercial hip-hop is dead, but there's always some cat on the underground somewhere that is trying something new.