Author Topic: New J.R. interview  (Read 186 times)

davida.b.

New J.R. interview
« on: April 14, 2005, 05:59:13 PM »
J. R.: Producer To Watch
Tuesday - April 12, 2005
Jessica Koslow
He s the go-to producer for 50 Cent, Snoop, Fabolous,
Lil Kim, Obie Trice and more.

Jonathan “J.R.” Rotem is on a roll. He produced two tracks on 50 Cents The Massacre and has secured about 30 placements in the past six months, including Snoop, Fabolous, Obie Trice and Lil Kim.

Born in South Africa to Israeli parents, J.R. soon relocated to Canada where he began studying classical piano. Next, his folks bounced to the Bay, and then J.R. uprooted yet once again to study at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. His big break came when Dwayne Wiggins, of Toni Tony Tone, put his beats in Beyonce’s hands and one of them ended up on Destiny s Child s Survivor album. Now, he s down with Aftermath, Shady and the whole G-Unit. Not bad for a Jewish white boy with a musical background in classical and jazz piano.

Who were your hip-hop musical influences?
I listened to hip-hop later on. My biggest influence was Dr. Dre. I remember in 93 when I heard Snoop Dogg and The Chronic, I was like, Whoa. I didn’t even know what producing was, or about the 70s records that were being sampled. So it was even more crazy to me. Dr. Dre made me feel like I want to do that. When I heard Nuthin’ But A G Thang, I was literally taken aback. Like when I heard Run DMC s Raising Hell. Denaun Porter taught me a lot. I was also influenced by Scott Storch and the classical piano of The Chronic. That’s a similar kind of musical background to me. I respect Kanye and anybody who has their own sound and is successful at it.

Considering your background, you must have non hip-hop influences?
I don t listen to that much hip-hop. My true musical influences, which is what influences the kind of sound I gravitate to in hip-hop is classical music, like Bach. All the classical composers, especially 20th Century classical composers. And then Jazz, of course McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis. I listen to a lot of 80s pop.

How did you develop your sound?
When I linked up with Denaun Porter, he helped me. He gave me drum sounds and showed me keyboards. He made me realize what people want to listen to and how I could adapt what I do to that.

You talk about Denaun influencing you, and you and him share the same manager. Hi-Tek is also managed by your manager. Have you had the chance to work with him?
I love Hi-Tek’s music. Me and Hi-Tek come from opposite musical schools. We have collaborated. Hi-Tek comes from a more sampling world. I respect him. I come from a keyboard school. Denaun does both. I do sample from time to time. I’m trying to get into that more.

Are people surprised that you re White?
Most of the time it’s an interesting surprise. These days there’s a little more acceptability, especially because of Scott Storch. Because of his success. I think he’s incredible. He’s one of the best, if not the best producer out there. He s very innovative and I look up to that. My color is not that extreme anymore.

What’s your creative process when you make beats for artists?
At first, I didn t have any contact with the artists. Now I do go into the studio with people. Different people do things different ways. 50 Cent got all his beats given to him on blank CDs and then he picked the beats and recorded on the road. Certain situations it depends how the artist works. Sometimes we ll build from the ground up.

Who are some of your favorite people to be in the studio with?
Being in the studio with Lil Kim was one of my most successful experiences. I d never felt such love for my music. I was overwhelmed to have people connect with my music. It was an amazing experience. Obie Trice is real humble. He has real good energy.

Is it harder to get work because you live in LA and not New York?
I lived in New York for a few months when I did the jazz thing. I m very happy living in LA. I wouldn’t want to live any other place. But there s an energy in NY that s undeniable. You can sense it. Things move a lot quicker there. I like the weather in LA. I like the vibe. I m creative there. But it s good to be around the NY energy.

You have a production company, Net Worth Entertainment. Talk about that.
I have an artist, Jasmine Lopez. She s incredible. I had her start by writing hooks for my beats. I put her on a Snoop Dogg record hook and bridge, three of the six tracks I did for Lil Kim. One of the hooks for Fabolous. She s gaining exposure as an artist and a writer. She wrote an Olivia song and referenced the vocals. We’re working on her demo. She has a unique voice with a street edge. She also has incredible writing ability.

Who would you like to work with?
We work with Shady and Eminem more on an indirect level because of Obie Trice and Stat Quo. I’ve been around Eminem. But I haven t done a song for him. To me Eminem, on a technical level what he s doing with his rhyme schemes, he s a musical genius. I d love to work with Jay-Z. I’d like to work with more singers. I d like to work with the Brandys, Justin Timberlakes. Music is music and I m just a fan.

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
Re: New J.R. interview
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:09:02 PM »
he's definitely in the top 4 of the hottest new producers out. Ive yet to hear a beat by him that wasn't heat.

that shit he did for conway, that busta joint, and those two tracks on 50s cd were ridiculous.

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:39:33 PM »
yeah, also the joint Wrekonize ft. Ras Kass - Business As Usual is crazy

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 07:21:09 PM »
The two joints he gave 50 Cent are some of the best productions I've heard in the last couple of years. I got that issue, it's a nice article. Dude's a white guy.

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:53 PM »
The two joints he gave 50 Cent are some of the best productions I've heard in the last couple of years. I got that issue, it's a nice article. Dude's a white guy.

damn thanks for reminding me about that track, i just peeped it for the first time and it is crazy!

JR's drums sound exactly like Dre's...it seems like he's taken Dre's style and is executing it better than him as of late.

mauzip

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 02:10:08 AM »
he's definitely in the top 4 of the hottest new producers out.

yup, i'm a fan ever since i heard vishiss' album

Mr. Humonculous

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 09:40:15 AM »
the Wrekonize and Ras Kass track is dope
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 09:41:50 AM by Mr. Humonculous »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 09:57:26 AM »
he's definitely in the top 4 of the hottest new producers out. Ive yet to hear a beat by him that wasn't heat.

that shit he did for conway, that busta joint, and those two tracks on 50s cd were ridiculous.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 01:54:01 PM »
not realy impressed yet to much, needlez shit hit harder than his on 50's cd

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 10:37:17 PM »
i read up more on JR, and it seems like he is gonna be on everysingle popular hip hop album thats coming out for months. look at this excerpt from an interview, he actually sold a beat to Dre for Detox that hes gonna use and has already laid vocals for:

http://www.hiphopgalaxy.com/jonathan-jr-rotem-interview-article1648.html

"Hip Hop Galaxy : What beat are you most proud of ?

J.R : The beat I sold Dre for Detox is one of my favorites. It has a unique urgency and tension that I was blessed to stumble onto. Then hearing his commanding vocals on it was incredible. I gave Obie Trice a real soulful track with Trey Songz (Atlantic) on the hook. I also gave a real hard street joint to Foxy Brown. As far beats that are out, I like both of the tracks I did on Fifty’s Album."