Author Topic: "Truth hurts"  (Read 715 times)

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
"Truth hurts"
« on: May 09, 2005, 01:58:07 PM »
i haven't had the internet for that long so i don't know waht happen to "truth hurts"..

what's her story?!

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: "Truth hurts"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »
She got dropped from Aftermath in late 2002-early 2003 and went on to release her second album about a year later. There were some complications as it related that lawsuit concerning her hit single "Addictive". The 'Truthfully Speaking' record got pulled off the shelves, so that's pretty much why she's no longer at The 'Math.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »
i doubt if Dre is gonna work with another female r&b singer. Michel'le went platinum but fell off. Jewell never worked out. and Truth Hurts flopped & got sued.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 06:09:38 PM »
Yea, I think Dre's best bet is to call on Mary J. Blige if he needs those kinds of vocals for a track, rather than trying to shape another R&B artist.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:30:59 PM »
Truth Hurts is now on Raphael Saadiq's Label Pookie Entertainment she had an album out last year or 2 years ago with WC on the Single it was called "Ready Now"

rafsta

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »
LOL Quik fucked truth hurts up big-time...

Elevz

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:54 AM »
Since her commercial arrival with Dr. Dre, Shari Watson has been blessing listeners with her brutal honesty. Combining her strong, powerful vocals with a raw sexuality, she burst into the scene as Truth Hurts with "Addictive," an intoxicating, Hindu-inspired single produced by DJ Quik. However, legal troubles with the track's sample caused her album Truthfully Speaking to get taken off the shelves, and eventually for her to split with Aftermath/Interscope. While small film roles such as seducing Snoop Dogg in "The Wash" and providing a soulful vocal backdrop in a jazz club in Will Smith's "Ali," helped her maintain familiarity, the St. Louis native's musical destinations were uncertain.

Truth is Ready Now though, dropping the "Hurts" from her name and signing with R&B legend Raphael Saadiq's fledging label, Pookie Entertainment. In an interview with BallerStatus.net, the songstress talks about her split with Aftermath, her new album, and the difficulties of balancing motherhood and work.

BallerStatus.net: I know that you probably get this a lot, but could you explain the legal troubles you had with your first album?
Truth: The legal troubles began with the sample in "Addictive." The label, Aftermath/Interscope, got a lawsuit placed on them. The sample wasn't cleared, I was under the impression that it was... everybody was under the impression that it was, and it came back to haunt us. The label got sued for some ridiculous amount that they didn't have to pay out. The album got pulled from the shelves, and they were able to put the proper credits on the record, but now you can't really find it on the shelves. We kind of got ditched on that whole situation, or I did, per se. That caused Interscope to start dealing with me funny. Not only were they not compensated for the first record with all of the issues, but they didn't want to kick out the dollars on the second record. That would affect me, and I wasn't happy with that or what the outcome of that was going to be. So Dre and I decided that I would go my way, because that was going to be a system that wasn’t going to work for me. Dre and I split amicably, I went on my way, and I'm independent at the moment.

BallerStatus.net: So you and Dre decided to split mutually?
Truth: Yeah, we decided mutually. He didn't want anything to affect me; he's one of my number one fans. He was like, "I don't want anything to wrongfully affect you or hold you back, so I'm pro-whatever puts you into the position where you can go forth and do what you need to do as an artist." He was approaching me as an artist himself because he had to put himself in those shoes. So I respect and appreciate him for that, and I went on my way.

Source: http://www.ballerstatus.net/beyond/read/id/01648588/

So... Yeah, it was the sample in Addictive that caused the album to be taken off the shelves.

J Bananas

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:48:54 AM »
She had really big lips

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:24:47 AM »

how did uik fuck her up?

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:31:32 AM »

rafsta

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:34:04 AM »

how did uik fuck her up?

Quik produced Addictive, which he sampled without legal rights.

Stone Cold is Bout It, Bout It

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 11:41:38 AM »
Truthhurts is fuckin fine!.that's why i brought her up because she had that "addictive" video and then she had another video on BET Uncut and then she desepiered!

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 12:44:13 PM »

how did uik fuck her up?

Quik said in a recent interview that Dre actually produced that track ,and he gave the credit to Quik.

rafsta

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 02:09:04 PM »

how did uik fuck her up?

Quik said in a recent interview that Dre actually produced that track ,and he gave the credit to Quik.

really ? do you have a link ?

b'coz on an interview i read, Quik said he heard the beat on T.V and loved it...

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 02:39:33 PM »
I'm thinking Quik came up with the beat concept ( using that sample ) and Dre ended up mixing it and directing Truth's vocals. Sample or no sample, that instrumental is way more Quik influenced than Dre influenced.