Author Topic: do any of you read books?  (Read 196 times)

The Predator

Re: do any of you read books?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »
You Got nothing coming - jimmy Lerner

Its story about a old jewish guy who ends in the pen a few years back surrounded by skinheads, chicano, black gangs, sadistic guards, a low life populatiion etc...One of the funniest n true potrayal of prison life books. Jimmy Lerners free now but that book he wrote of his experience was one of the best reads and will really make ya laugh.

''You Got Nothing Coming, Jimmy A. Lerner's memoir of his first year (of a possible 12) as an inmate in a Nevada state prison, is a shocking, hilarious, and heartbreaking narrative of a world both parallel to and absolutely alien from the one most readers inhabit. With deft, economical prose, Lerner, a middle-aged former marketing director for a major corporation, introduces us to his fellow inmates--swastika-tattooed skinheads, Wiccans, methamphetamine addicts, and fashion-conscious prostitutes, among others--as well as a multitude of prisoner scams, nonexistent but on-the-books rehab programs, and the life-or-death intricacies of the convict code of etiquette. Lerner's ear for prison language is pitch-perfect, and much of what we learn comes directly from the mouths of the incarcerated. Lerner has, in effect, written a nonfiction novel, one artfully laced with mordant humor and by turns tender, caustic, insightful, and relentlessly candid. --H. O'Billovitch''

Suga Foot

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 03:02:21 PM »
I pick through books, I don't ever read novels or anything.  But I like books on business and shit like that.  I've heard good things about "Geurilla Marketing", I'll pick that one up soon.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »
Last book ive read for fun is Moneyball. Basically on how the A's ran their team under Billy Beane as Gm and Paul Depodesta as Assitant GM

I really wanna get that book.

last book I read was the one put out by the original winner of The Apprentice.  I was a really good book, good stuff in there.  I don't read much tho, just don't have time.

Yeah man, its  fucking dope

davida.b.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 09:44:09 PM »
I'm not a big reader, but right now I'm hooked on the Series Of Unfortunate Events books.

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 09:53:33 PM »
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »
I usually read Clancy books. Haven't for a couple years though.

I'm getting into magazines more. I usually read Maxim every month, and my friend just borrowed me a couple of his Fortean Times.

And actually, I'm about 1/4 through Mein Kampf. Hilter was a crazy fuck who couldn't write at all.