Author Topic: Argentina Seal Semi Spot  (Read 254 times)

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
Argentina Seal Semi Spot
« on: June 18, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »

Argentina saw off a late rally from Australia to win 4-2 and claim their place in the Confederations Cup semi-finals.

Jose Pekerman's side followed up their 2-1 victory over Tunisia to join Germany in the last four thanks to a hat trick from former Birmingham flop Luciano Figueroa and a penalty from Juan Roman Riquelme.

However Osasuna striker John Aloisi made for a nervy finish as he claimed two goals to slash the deficit.

It was Figueroa who opened the scoring on 12 minutes as he finished smartly after a one-two with Mario Alberto Santana.

The South Americans extended their advantage as Villarreal star Riquelme maintained his composure to score from the spot after Lucas Neill brought down Javier Saviola.

Ten minutes into the second half Figueroa looked to have put the game beyond doubt as he capitalised on Tony Vidmar's inability to clear to put the ball beyond Mark Schwarzer in the Australia goal.

However just eight minutes later Aloisi began to make an impact and converted from the penalty spot after earning the spot kick himself under a challenge from Fabricio Coloccini.

The former Coventry man the stole in to convert his second with twenty minutes to go as Gabriel Heinze attempted to chest back to Argentine keeper German Lux.

However it was left to Figueroa to steal the show as he steered in a Riquelme free-kick in the dying moments to grab his personal land-mark and send his side into the last four.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=285773&cpid=436&CLID=&lid=2&title=Argentina+seal+semi+spot&channel=Football_Home

figueroa scores a hatrick yet rilquelme gets called the villarreal star? (dont get me wrong riquelme is undeniably amazing but thats not my point here)

my point is that the english press find it more suitable to call figueroa a "birmingham flop" even tho he plays for villareal too!

"former coventry man" also contributes to a fine piece of reporting regarding Aloisi - why cant they just simply say who the player currently plays for? ie. Osasuna...

why do english reporters/commentators/press always feel they need to do this?  ???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 06:10:47 PM by Woozie »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Argentina Seal Semi Spot
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 06:06:17 PM »
Figueroa used to play for Cruz Azul in Mexico.  He was the shit.  It was him and el Chelito Delgado together on the same team in a Mexican leauge.  They tore it up.

So Australia has scored 5 goals against Germany and Argentina to give them a total of 0 pts lol

Saviola almost made an amazing goal in the game too

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:07:31 AM »
Figueroa used to play for Cruz Azul in Mexico. He was the shit. It was him and el Chelito Delgado together on the same team in a Mexican leauge. They tore it up.

So Australia has scored 5 goals against Germany and Argentina to give them a total of 0 pts lol

Saviola almost made an amazing goal in the game too

Figueroa, remember he was the player that wasn't good enough for Birmingham, after paying around £3 million for him and buying him out of his contract he's gone on to score goals for Cruz Azul, Villareal & Argentina.  Wonder if Steve Bruce regrets not giving him a chance and letting him go after a few months, though I'm sure him & the Brum fans are happier with Emile Heskey & Clinton Morrison ;) :P

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
Clinton Morrison is a good striker ::)
NO MORE WAR

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »

Birmingham manager Steve Bruce has challenged disgruntled striker Clinton Morrison to prove his worth if he wants more first-team football.

Republic of Ireland international Morrison, 25, has recently suggested he may have to move on.

But Bruce told the News of the World: "With strikers you have to acquire as many as you can.

"Obviously, Clinton cannot be too happy but he has to take his chance when it comes along."

Morrison, who has one year left on his contract with the Blues, saw his opportunities limited last season following the transfer-window loan signing of Walter Pandiani from Deportivo La Coruna.

He told the Daily Mirror: "I just want to have a chance to show what I can do.

"I want to stay but it is important for me to be playing. I am not one of these guys who just sits there and collects his wage packet and is happy with it."

He added: "I will have a meeting with my agent and the boss Steve Bruce soon and I will say that I just want to play as much as possible.

"The manager has spoken to me and he says he wants me to sign a new contract and that I am part of his plans.

"But I will have to see what happens. Maybe I will have to move on but I hope not.

"But the only way I will sign is if I am going to be playing football."

Morrison's career statistics

Birmingham - Jul 02 / Present
                          Gls  Apps  Sub on Sub off   Yel   Red

League                 14   74        21       22       7     0
FA Cup                   1    6         0         2        0     0
League Cup            1    3         1          0       0      0
European/Others     0    0         0         0       0      0

Crystal Palace - Mar 97 / Jul 02

League                62   157      16       20       13     0
FA Cup                 1      4        0         1        0      0
League Cup           9     19       3         4       4       0
European/Others    0      0        0         0       0      0

Rep of Ireland - Aug 01 / Oct 04

International  7     25      12         8        1      0

Rep of Ireland U21 - Jun 01 / Jul 02

International   0      2       0          1         0      0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 05:59:33 PM by Woozie »

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:50:48 AM »
Clinton Morrison is a good striker ::)

Would say that he's a decent striker but compared to what Figueroa has done since he left Birmingham and the time that he had at Birmingham compared to the time that Morrison has had at Birmingham and the goal scoring record that he's got seems that Figueroa never had a chance.

Still think that Palace got the better deal in 2002 in the Morrison transfer, they got £3.5 million plus Andrew Johnson, and the records speak for themselves.

IMO Birmingham could have better forwards, Robbie Savage scored the same amount of goals as Morrison last season ::)