Author Topic: The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It  (Read 207 times)

Doggystylin

The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:44:26 AM »
this is probably their best song, i love the album btw very solid album, oh and i love the guitar on Andy, You're A Star, I would give a more detailed opinion on the album, but im tired...anyways killers got a original sound and i love the whole 80s thing, keep doin it

Trauma-san

Re: The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 06:03:53 AM »
^ They're mormon.  Still love em? 

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 06:16:24 AM »
Didn't the lead singer comment on Brian Wilson's drug taking, saying how he himself wouldn't take drugs to be cool? Maybe I just got half a story but I'm sure I remember reading about that somewhere.

On the actual music side, their sound is far from original. They are a good band with a good debut album, the lead singer is ridicously pretty for a bloke, but they aren't anything too special. Just another good band who fill the time until the next GREAT band comes along.

Smile Like You Mean It is a poor song in comparision to others they have made, still better then that god awful Somebody Told You. 
Well she moved in ways
That kept her there in our minds for days
Weeks and months it was
I was that amazed and there she stays
Surrounded by the what-ifs and the maybes

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 06:26:09 AM »
brian wilson was a crachhead.. and the killers, i love em, love their cd front to back, .. fun music... my fav is prob between: andy, your a star, midnish show, and everything will be allright.

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 06:36:38 AM »
Yeah, the lead singer said that he thought it was a shame that if he was an addict, it would make his music be more respected.  He said he didn't want to be like Brian Wilson, and that Brian 'talks about himself' and that 'what's it matter that he wrote good vibrations?"

I THINK what he meant, was that Brian's drug use has not only damaged him so badly, it's been one of the most memorable parts of his life, so even his greatest musical accomplishment, Good Vibrations, doesn't get mentioned when they interview him, instead Brian has to talk about himself and his problems (since that's what they ask him about). 

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:44:26 AM »
Well before he did the Glastonbury show he did an interview with a small music community that operates on Teletext (do Americans have that? Probably not). They didn't mention his problems once, they just talked about the music and how he was excited to be playing Glastonbury as it's a festival all about love. He said that he was a lot happier working with his current band, apparently the Beach Boys were holding him back and stopping him from achieving anything of musical signifance. I thought that was a little harsh on the rest of them, especially since they were family for the most part but I can see where he is coming from.
Well she moved in ways
Weeks and months it was

Woozie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Hail! Hail!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »
this is probably their best song, i love the album btw very solid album, oh and i love the guitar on Andy, You're A Star, I would give a more detailed opinion on the album, but im tired...anyways killers got a original sound and i love the whole 80s thing, keep doin it

track1 - 'jenny was a friend of mine' is by far the best song from that album followed by 'mr brightside'...

hot fuss is a classic imo  :)

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 10:47:33 AM »
whole album sounds the same to me.. i like track 1 and a few others. cant remember the track names off the top. all i remember is i stopped playing it all the way through because it was so repetitous.

Diabolical

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 12:18:48 PM »
Is that Channel 4 teletext, page 350 and up?
I read that, the one on the BBC is rubbish.

I havent listened to the kilers cd for a while, so i cant comment.
Although how you can say they are original then something about the 80s sound is a bit ironic.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 12:31:07 PM »
Didn't the lead singer comment on Brian Wilson's drug taking, saying how he himself wouldn't take drugs to be cool? Maybe I just got half a story but I'm sure I remember reading about that somewhere.

On the actual music side, their sound is far from original. They are a good band with a good debut album, the lead singer is ridicously pretty for a bloke, but they aren't anything too special. Just another good band who fill the time until the next GREAT band comes along.

Smile Like You Mean It is a poor song in comparision to others they have made, still better then that god awful Somebody Told You. 

wow, could'nt of said it better myself!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »
Well before he did the Glastonbury show he did an interview with a small music community that operates on Teletext (do Americans have that? Probably not). They didn't mention his problems once, they just talked about the music and how he was excited to be playing Glastonbury as it's a festival all about love. He said that he was a lot happier working with his current band, apparently the Beach Boys were holding him back and stopping him from achieving anything of musical signifance. I thought that was a little harsh on the rest of them, especially since they were family for the most part but I can see where he is coming from.

It's pretty much bullshit.  The Beach Boys weren't holding him back, he WAS the Beach Boys, no matter what he wanted they did, they were Beach Babies without him.  The only thing he could maybe pin on them is that they weren't able to recreate his complex harmonies live, and that none of the Beach Boys were accomplished enough (besides perhaps Bruce) to competently perform his more complex music live.  His new band not only sounds good, they're all great musicians, so they can recreate his masterpieces almost flawlessly in a live setting. 

WeSTSidE_Don

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »
killers are horrible.. i like other music other than rap but killers are just bad

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »
I like the first half of their cd, the second half was boring to me. 

Mindless Minority

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • England on Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 04:07:36 AM »
Is that Channel 4 teletext, page 350 and up?
I read that, the one on the BBC is rubbish.

Yeah it's pretty informative. Page 352 has some good insights and the guy who does the bulk of reviewing has a great ear for music. The BBC one is full of kids arguing about how Green Day are the biggest punk band ever and how everybody should buy Westlifes new album.
Well she moved in ways
Weeks and months it was

Diabolical

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 06:41:58 PM »
I agree with what Trauma said 4 posts up.

The hip hop page is funny, all the news is old or if it does happen to be quite new the guy makes it sound like he's exclisive. The rock page is alright but its too mixed i think. I like the lettters page but there just isnt enough interaction like you get here or other forums. They do get good interviews though.