Author Topic: NBA three-team deal: Bonzi Wells to Sacramento, Bobby Jackson to Memphis, etc.  (Read 91 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Griz send Wells packing
Team lands Kings' Jackson, three others

By Ronald Tillery
Contact
July 23, 2005

The Grizzlies' revolving door has spun again.

This time, veteran guard Bonzi Wells was shown the exit.

Wells's two-year stint in Memphis ended Friday when the Grizzlies agreed to exercise an $8 million contract option and trade him to the Sacramento Kings as part of a three-team deal that involves the Utah Jazz.

The Kings will send guard Bobby Jackson to the Grizzlies and center Greg Ostertag to the Jazz. To complete the transaction, Utah will ship center Curtis Borchardt, and guards Raul Lopez and Kirk Snyder to the Grizzlies.

All parties have agreed to the deal in principle. The trade cannot be completed until the NBA lifts its moratorium on offseason business due to a delay in finalizing the collective bargaining agreement.

Although teams are prohibited from discussing the trade because of the moratorium, Wells's agent, William Phillips, confirmed that the deal is in place. The Griz agreed to trade Wells a week after the team lost free agent Stromile Swift to Houston without compensation.

Phillips said his client couldn't have asked for a better situation.

"He's very excited about the trade," Phillips said. "When we had our discussions about his future, one of our goals was to get him in a position where he could play his final year and produce. He wants to show what kind of player he is and what kind of person he is. Sacramento gives him an opportunity to do that. Bonzi wants to express his sincere appreciation to all fans in Memphis. They were great to him, and he wishes them well."

Wells, 29, averaged 10.4 points in 69 games for the Grizzlies last season before he was removed from the team during the playoffs without public explanation. He is expected to step in and start in place of Cuttino Mobley, who left the Kings to join the Los Angeles Clippers.

Had the Grizzlies decided against picking up Wells's option, Wells would have become an unrestricted free agent. He could have departed without the Griz receiving anything in return.

Wells, though, had value and Memphis became motivated to consummate the trade once it became clear that they could land Jackson.

Jackson, 32, has been a major contributor for the Kings and helped them become a consistent contender in the Western Conference. He often played fourth quarters in place of Jason Williams nearly five years ago when both played for the Kings.

Injuries have limited Jackson's availability as he averaged just 12 points in 25 games last season. In Jackson, though, the Griz acquired a complete point guard, one that was named the 2002-03 NBA Sixth Man of the Year.

He also will enter the final year of a contract that will pay $3.3 million. Expiring contracts seemed to be a requirement for the Griz. Borchardt and Lopez aren't signed beyond the 2005-06 season. The team holds an option on Snyder's contract after two seasons.

Lopez may never play for the Griz. Several reports have indicated that the injury-prone Lopez has considered signing a four-year deal with a Spanish team if he can negotiate a buyout.

This trade is expected to be one of many the Griz hope to complete this offseason. They remain open to moving Williams and Lorenzen Wright, and are seeking a sign-and-trade deal with free agent point guard Earl Watson.

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_3948336,00.html

I personally think that Bonzi Wells will fit better with the Kings than Bobby Jackson, and is a good replacement for Mobely, who the Kings lost to the Clippers...And Bobby Jackson will probably get a lot more chances to shine with Memphis, who are currently rebuilding what looks to be a pretty good team...It seems like Utah lost out in the deal, but I guess they wanted Ostertag back where he belongs...What do ya'll think about this deal?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Wow, this was a pretty big deal which really changed the look of the teams involved and people are busy commenting on what Shaq said about Andrew Bynum...Great basketball fans we have on this board, no?

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Jackson, 32, has been a major contributor for the Kings and helped them become a consistent contender in the Western Conference. He often played fourth quarters in place of Jason Williams nearly five years ago when both played for the Kings.

And the scouts were saying Jackson was too short to play in the NBA. I'm glad he's finally going to get the playing time he deserves.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!

And the scouts were saying Jackson was too short to play in the NBA. I'm glad he's finally going to get the playing time he deserves.

He's taller than Iverson, one of the greatest SGs of all time..
I hope the Jazz just intended to lose those lame players, because Ostertag is worth less than $5.

Whatever this off-season is boring the hell outta me, but that's just because last year's offseason was argueable one of the most entertaining ever :D
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Good move.  Bobby Jackson is tite, but wasn't necessary on the team because they already have Bibby, and now that Mobley left they need a good shooting guard.  Bonzi Wells is tite, I think he'll be a solid additon to the team.