Author Topic: Is Rock Music Dead? Whatever Happened too Rock Stars not Pop Stars?  (Read 899 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Is Rock Music Dead? Whatever Happened too Rock Stars not Pop Stars?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 02:53:08 AM »
Trauma your always talking about the lack of creativity in rock now....but you don't realize there are so many great bands:

Keane
Sufjan StevensSondre Lerche
Radiohead
Oasis
The Killers
Ray LaMontagneOur Lady PeaceTeam Sleep
Audioslave
30 Seconds To MarsAndreas Johnson
Ben Folds
Citizen Cope
Coldplay
Damien RiceDave Matthews
Postal Service
Death Cab For CutieIron & Wine
Modest Mouse
Muse
Ozma (though they recently broke up)Sparta
The Decemberists
Third Eye Blind

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2005, 05:57:45 AM »
^ muse is fuckin awesome, dave mathews is the ish, but the new cd sucks, i like death cab but its not really rock and is a bit whiney, modest mouse is dope as shit, and original, postal service is not rock but is awesome, i dont know much about damien rice but the blowers daughter is simply amazing.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2005, 06:08:45 AM »
but dont forget about stuff like

red hot chili peppers,,weezer, blink 182,the strokes, Linkin Park, the mars volta,  Franz Ferdinand ( they deffinately disapeared), The shins, The killers, No Doubt, Green Day, Sublime, Rage Against the machine,queens of the stone age, jack johnson, arcade fire, ..

i mean, i loooove the 60s and 70s, my fav bands are from that era, but originality wise, i mean, of course the beatles were original, they were the 1st of their kind in many many categories, but like, since the 60s, we have had 45 years of millions of bands trying different shit etc, and now its very hard to be original, some bands are just giving up, some bands just dont even try, but still sell, for some reason ?? and their shit is horrible, but thats besides the point, theres still some originality flowing, like the killers, they literally are doing like 80s style pop rock, and its great, and its a breath of fresh air, becasue it really is good music, or bands like mars volta who are doing 70s style shit, but both killers and mars volta take ideas from those erras but like recreate and renew them. just like led zeppelin and beatles took some aspects of blues....

Trauma-san

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 07:56:58 AM »
Trauma your always talking about the lack of creativity in rock now....but you don't realize there are so many great bands:

Keane
Sufjan Stevens
Sondre Lerche
Radiohead
Oasis
The Killers
Ray LaMontagne
Our Lady Peace
Team Sleep
Audioslave
30 Seconds To Mars
Andreas Johnson
Ben Folds
Citizen Cope
Coldplay
Damien Rice
Dave Matthews
Postal Service
Death Cab For Cutie
Iron & Wine
Modest Mouse
Muse
Ozma (though they recently broke up)
Sparta
The Decemberists
Third Eye Blind

Just to name a few.....how can you say artists like these arent creative? oh wait let me do it for you: future quote from trauma "every single artist on that list is just a product of the rock from the 60's....the 60's was when all the originality came out....atleast thats what my mommy told me"

yet all the artists from the 60's were just a product of the stuff from the 40's and 50's....music changes, music grows, and good music still exists....but we get people like you bitching about it all the time and it makes other people say the same shit when they haven't even looked for good music. The fact is bands are just as creative today as they were in the 60's

Music in the 60's was nothing like music in the 40's.  Music in the 60's was an evolution of the Rock & Roll people like Chuck Berry and Little Richard, and Elvis invented! in the late 50's.  It was a natural evolution in a creative, brilliant way, 10 years down the line.

We're now 50 years down the line, and they haven't evolved.  Playing your instruments louder does not mean you've evolved.  Singing every song with a half melodrama does not mean you've evolved.  Singing songs about how some girl fucked you up does not mean you've evolved. 

You're comparing the originators, to people who have been doing the same thing that's been going on for decades.

You STILL, with your small mind, miss my point as well.  I never said every band wasn't creative, there are creative, good Rock bands out there, but all in all, Rock stopped growing, and died, around the time Kurt Cobain did.  There has been no growth since then.  There hasn't been shit since then that's anything to be proud of.  I'll list some bands that are still making good music, but that doesn't save the genre.  All of these bands combined don't stand to the Beatles, for instance.

Out of your entire list, I'll give Our lady peace props.  Half ass creative.

You said Oasis, you mean the same Oasis who were around before Kurt died?  Who aren't as good NOW, as they were THEN? 

You said Audioslave, but you really mean Chris Cornell, who was around with Soundgarden, again before Kurt died, and who isn't as good in Audioslave as he was in Soundgarden?  Or do you mean the rest of the band, formerly known as Rage against the Machine, who were of course around in the early 90's as well when I'm saying Rock died. 

You mentioned Radiohead, another band who aren't as good now, as they were in the early 90's.

I'll add Weezer to the list, again not as good now as they were in 94.

Who else?  Red Hot Chili Peppers?  You mean the guys from the 80's? 

U2?  Early 80's? 

Metallica?  Early 80's?

Velvet Revolver?  GNR from the 80's, and Scotty from STP? 

White Stripes would count, they're newer, and brilliant.  Bravo for them.  That's why I consider them the best band in the world. 

You can take all of the bands like Staind, Puddle Of Mud, Godsmack, etc. and throw 'em in the fucking trash. 

The excuse that "We've had 45 years of bands making Rock, it's hard to do something different' is the biggest, lamest bullshit excuse I've ever heard!  When the Beatles came along, they weren't the first to record music, they changed the entire musical climate and steered even social aspects of the world through fucking MUSIC.  Nobody around today has even a 5th of the talent they did, and it wasn't even a quantitive talent, they weren't even very good instrumentalists, didn't have particularly great voices, just a normal everyday average band who became great, through hard work and creativity.  There was no Mozart in the Beatles.

That you would list a band like Third Eye Blind as proof of Rock's vitality, is hilarious.

Again you misinterpret everything I say, I like Third Eye Blind, and I've even seen them live in Concert.  They are, however, regression not progression in music, Rock and their type of it is Dead. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005, 07:59:06 AM »
Oh, and I"ll also give queens of the stone age a prop.  Good, talented band.

You went on to name a ton of bands from the early 90's, again, though... Rage against the Machine, No Doubt, Rage against the Machine, Sublime, etc.  Rock has died since then, and in a matter of time all these bands won't be around anymore.  Who's gonna carry the torch?  Blink 182?  Please.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005, 08:05:29 AM »
on the topic of the white stripes i read this and thought it was rather intresting

"   
There are still only two of them. But now they sound like an army. The White Stripes made Elephant, their fourth album, in just two weeks last year, at a London studio outfitted with an eight-track tape machine and recording gear that predates the Beatles. But the Detroit duo walked out with a work of pulverizing perfection. Singer-guitarist Jack White and his ex-wife, drummer Meg -- the undisputed king and queen of the new garage movement -- finally romp and rattle like a fully armed band"

Trauma-san

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2005, 08:06:54 AM »
2 weeks, they make a better album than any other band produces in 6 months.  The beatles recorded their first album in 1 day. 

Talent

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »
ye heres another thing, im guessing ud agree with this.
(from rolling stone mag, who seem to like them as much as you)

If you happen to be a rock band, and you don't happen to be either of the White Stripes, it so sucks to be you right now.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
ive got my money on Franz Ferdinand To carry the torch :)

Don Breezio

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 12:40:49 PM »
the sad part trauma is that you probably haven't heard 90% of that list....thats probably why you tried to prove me wrong by only talking about 3 bands that I listed. The other 15 or 20 are still creative as shit. Stop being so closed minded and try checking out some of the newer non mtv shit.....and third eye blind is a great band and creative. I don't know any other bands that sound like them and I don't know any bands before them with their sound. Simple as that.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2005, 12:32:44 AM »

Keane
Sufjan Stevens
Sondre Lerche
Radiohead
Oasis
The Killers
Ray LaMontagne
Our Lady Peace
Team Sleep
Audioslave
30 Seconds To Mars
Andreas Johnson
Ben Folds
Citizen Cope
Coldplay
Damien Rice
Dave Matthews
Postal Service
Death Cab For Cutie
Iron & Wine
Modest Mouse
Muse
Ozma (though they recently broke up)
Sparta
The Decemberists
Third Eye Blind

Just to name a few.....how can you say artists like these arent creative? oh wait let me do it for you: future quote from trauma "every single artist on that list is just a product of the rock from the 60's....the 60's was when all the originality came out....atleast thats what my mommy told me"

yet all the artists from the 60's were just a product of the stuff from the 40's and 50's....music changes, music grows, and good music still exists....but we get people like you bitching about it all the time and it makes other people say the same shit when they haven't even looked for good music. The fact is bands are just as creative today as they were in the 60's

Out of your entire list, I'll give Our lady peace props.  Half ass creative.

You said Oasis, you mean the same Oasis who were around before Kurt died?  Who aren't as good NOW, as they were THEN? 

You said Audioslave, but you really mean Chris Cornell, who was around with Soundgarden, again before Kurt died, and who isn't as good in Audioslave as he was in Soundgarden?  Or do you mean the rest of the band, formerly known as Rage against the Machine, who were of course around in the early 90's as well when I'm saying Rock died. 

You mentioned Radiohead, another band who aren't as good now, as they were in the early 90's.

I'll add Weezer to the list, again not as good now as they were in 94.

Who else?  Red Hot Chili Peppers?  You mean the guys from the 80's? 

U2?  Early 80's? 

Metallica?  Early 80's?

Velvet Revolver?  GNR from the 80's, and Scotty from STP? 

White Stripes would count, they're newer, and brilliant.  Bravo for them.  That's why I consider them the best band in the world. 

trauma i'm on your side here but you bashed some REALLY great bands here and i REALLY don't agree with your statement about rock music died when kurt cobain died. Nirvana didn't get rid of "hair metal" and they definately did not invent or make alternative music popular, they were just the first grunge band to get diamond status. Janes Addiction really doesn't get the proper props for the revolution that was inevitably going to take place, and if bands like Metallica and Guns and roses didn't happen to blow up in the late 80's and early 90's nirvana would never of happened on that great of a scale, they were the final straw taht broke that camels back, and that hair metal camel had  ALOT of straw on his back before nirvana , kurt killedhimself in 94 , but there has been ALOT of great rock music that happened after he died, stuff even better than "nevermind". i'm going to defend some of the bands you bashed here.....

audio slaves first album is a breath of fresh air, it's rage (a band who was great AFTER kurt died) but IMO they're better because they have a REAL singer, they're new album is shit but they're a very capable band

oasis- i don't really like them much, not my cup of tea and crumpets....but they were great AFTER Kurt died

Radiohead- again i don't really like them much, but their best album came AFTER kurt cobain died , hell spin magazine called ok computer the best album in the last 25 years

red hot chilli peppers- wow i can't believe you just said "that band from the 80's,lmao, they got big in 92 and have been more and more popular over the years. when californication and by the way came out rock music DEFINATELY changed, Frusciante is easily one of the greatest gutarists of ALL TIME and he only gets better, and flea....shit i don't even have to say anything that man is the SHIT on bass...the peppers have alway been good before, during and especially AFTER kurt cobain

u2- again i can't believe you jsut said u2 was ONLY great in the early 80's .......LMAO they've always and consistantly put out great and classic music. i don't personally like it but i can put my bias aside and say that they'redefinately making great and important music

metallica-dont' even get me started on metallica. first they are and for a while will be the greatest heavy metal band ever. they've ALWAYS been better than nirvana and are more important than nirvana . plain and simple, and metallica has NEVER been only just an early 80's band.  their first cd kill em all came out in 82' ....double platnum, their second cd ride the lightning ....4 times platnum ....okay we're out of the early 80's ....and they havn't even peaked  86' master of puppets comes out .....6 times platnum now we're out of the mid 80's now go to 88'  and we got ....and justice for all...8 times platnum,then go to 91' they SAME time never mind comes out and goes 10 times platnum....the black album comes out and sells platnum , 15 times over. the 90's go on and they're still one of the most popular bands , if not the most popular band in the world, only until 2003 do they release a musically "bad" album ....that's 20 plus year of excellence , and they're still a force AFTER kurt cobain died, the only rock acts with a better selling catalouge is pink floyd and the beatles

velvet revolver- guns n roses NO, sTp , NO. great...YES

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2005, 01:35:03 AM »
I don't think it's dead...I mean it's dead to people who prefer different types..but there is still GREAT rock out there not just catchy tunes but real music..

Like The Mars Volta is a good new band to mention..

But I don't neccesarily co-sign w/ trauma saying rock died after cobain...there were so many gems and classics after kurt..but nowadays, I wouldnt say it's dead but its just not what it used to be

Diabolical

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2005, 06:24:57 AM »
Theres only so much you can do with popular rock music but extreme metal has evolved alot in the past 15 years

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 12:42:09 PM »
if mars volta wasnt the rock version of canibus, i think they could be amazing.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
they're pretty good