Author Topic: The 100 songs that changed the world... and the winner is...?  (Read 841 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
Re: The 100 songs that changed the world... and the winner is...?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »
LoTR never changed anything.
Hardly anyone knew it until the film came out.

You cant be serious.

The book was the second highest selling behind the Bible BEFORE the movies came out (over 150 million copies sold worldwide at that time, now is probably double or tripple that amount), and its probably now making a run for first. And yes, it did change things. It introduced a whole new culture (it even made Elvish into a REAL language that people actually write and speak now, lol) and has been passed down from generation to generation as being one of the greatest stories ever written. Also, you would be hard pressed to find a story as rich and complex in fiction literature history.

And dont get me started on the movie.......second highest grossing movie of all time behind Titanic, and if you combine all three, I think it has even surpassed that movie to be the all time highest.

Also, where do you think alot of Harry Potters influence comes from?? LOTR, clearly.

Overall, id say not only did LOTR have an impact, but id say its impact was almost INCALCUABLE.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 02:08:59 PM by ImmortalOne »
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 05:44:30 PM »
Well I read LotR before they talked about a movie.. I loved it.. anyways.. what I want to say is: Can some classic head upload some stuff? My hard drive really lacks classical, non-hiphop songs. I like to have some Bob Dylan songs for a start, funny he won this poll when I always wanted some stuff from him and never bothered lookin for until now lol. Uploadin all them contending songs would be dope too lol.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 05:47:52 PM »
I hope Lord of the Rings was on there somewhere (the book at the very least).....its the second highest selling book of all time behind only the Bible and probably the greatest and most read story of all time, as well as being a whole separate culture in itself. The whole history of Middle Earth is so vast and complex, you could write a whole book on each race and even some of the individual charachters. JRR Tolkien was a goddamn genius. The movie should be up there too, it is one of the greatest epics ever in cinema history.

Does that count school sales? I know the LOTR series + The Hobbit have sold over 100 million copies in total. That would mean roughly 25 million copies sold per book. I wouldn't be surpried to see Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet being somewhere up there. I'm pretty sure The Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann is the top selling fiction book.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »
^ ill upload some random songs 1 day

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 05:55:56 PM »
I hope Lord of the Rings was on there somewhere (the book at the very least).....its the second highest selling book of all time behind only the Bible and probably the greatest and most read story of all time, as well as being a whole separate culture in itself. The whole history of Middle Earth is so vast and complex, you could write a whole book on each race and even some of the individual charachters. JRR Tolkien was a goddamn genius. The movie should be up there too, it is one of the greatest epics ever in cinema history.

Does that count school sales? I know the LOTR series + The Hobbit have sold over 100 million copies in total. That would mean roughly 25 million copies sold per book. I wouldn't be surpried to see Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet being somewhere up there. I'm pretty sure The Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann is the top selling fiction book.

Im not sure how its counted.....because some publications sell all 3 volumes together while others sell them separatly.

I do know that only the Bible has sold more though.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2005, 06:00:32 PM »

Im not sure how its counted.....because some publications sell all 3 volumes together while others sell them separatly.

Do they sell all 3 in one book, or in a set? Because in a set it counts as 3 different sales. The Bible is way ahead of everyone. The number 2 selling book is Chairman Mao's "red book" at 900 million copies and the Bible is over 6 Billion copies. It's no contest.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »

Do they sell all 3 in one book, or in a set? Because in a set it counts as 3 different sales. The Bible is way ahead of everyone. The number 2 selling book is Chairman Mao's "red book" at 900 million copies and the Bible is over 6 Billion copies. It's no contest.

Ive seen it both ways......all three in a set, and all three in one book.

The red book is at 900 mill?? Is that worldwide sales?? I know LOTR sold over 200 mill in the U.S. alone, not sure what its worldwide sales are but they are probably very similiar to the red books numbers I reckon.

In any case, regardless of its sales, it should certainly be on any list of "things that changed the world"......the fact it has been passed down from generation to generation and will continue to do so is reason enough, not to mention its various sub-cultures and the fact Tolkien wrote it as a concept story that is fiction but applies to the everyday real world.

Again, Tolkien was a genius....I still gotta read The Silmarillion.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 06:21:55 PM by ImmortalOne »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 06:24:21 PM »
Just to set the record straight;

http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10_60/62_top_10_list.html

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/bestsellerFARQ.html

No LOTR in sight.

Sure it should be on the list but as long as it's behind The Bible, the Quran, Mao's book, The Communist Manifesto and a few others.

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 09:34:20 PM »
I find it VERY hard to believe that LOTR isnt in the top 10 best selling books of all time. In fact, I dont believe it.....shit HAS to be in there somewhere, since its U.S. sales alone are like 200 mill.

rafsta

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 08:48:45 AM »
What about "Tipsy" from J-Kwon?

LMAO  :D

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 09:27:26 AM »
I find it VERY hard to believe that LOTR isnt in the top 10 best selling books of all time. In fact, I dont believe it.....shit HAS to be in there somewhere, since its U.S. sales alone are like 200 mill.

I've read it's worldwide sales hit 100 million in 2001. I never saw anything that says 200 million in the US. Do you have any sources? I have two that both say the same thing.