Author Topic: Hiphopsite Editorial: WHY THERE WILL BE A JAY-Z ALBUM THIS YEAR.  (Read 130 times)

Jome

EDITORIAL: WHY THERE WILL BE A JAY-Z ALBUM THIS YEAR.

There were some rumblings this past week in SOHH's rumor column that Jay-Z would release an album called "The Dynasty 2" sometime in the future. Of course, this is just a rumor - much like the rumor that Ras Kass has signed to Aftermath, which according to my sources, is "just a rumor".

I know I have spoken on this topic before, but let me tell you why I believe that this will DEFINITELY happen by the end of the year. First off, since Jay's retirement, we've already seen him release two half-ass albums - those being the R. Kelly and Linkin Park collabo projects from late last year. Sure, these don't "count" as Jay-Z albums, but he did get in the studio and record. And he went on tour. This, of course, is all common knowledge.

Since the year has started, and Jay has taken a desk job as president of Def Jam, a far different profession than rocking the crowd, or say, pushing blow in a blizzard. Not surprisingly, we've seen him pop up in a few different places. The obvious move was "Dear Summer", his "letter to summer" that helped jump-off Memphis Bleek's album (well, a little bit), but this was in typical Jay-Z / Roc-A-Fella fashion. But within the last month or so, Jay has been popping up a little more frequently than usual. The first thing we caught was a freestyle with his new artist Aztek over the Mike Jones' beat. By co-signing this new southern cat, blessing us with a new verse, he knew of course everyone would do the same. But the trend continued. Somehow, Pharrell got Jigga to jump on a remix of Slim Thug's "I Ain't Heard Of That", which never saw commercial release, but was heavy on the mixtape and deejay circuit. And nobody thought it was too wierd when Jay dropped an extra verse on Kanye's "Diamonds" remix, but when the Young Jeezy album dropped with only a lukewarm buzz, out came the non-album Jay-Z remix of "Go Crazy", eyebrows began to raise.

See what he's doing here, folks? He's Busta Rhyming himself. Meaning, he's jumping on a bunch of remixes to set himself up for the new album. He didn't have to do this before, because like clockwork, we all expected the year end album. But we don't expect it this year, so instead he wants us to expect it. He's giving us little doses, making us say "damn, he was good, I wish he would come out of retirement". As I've said before, don't forget, this is the guy that doesn't write his raps down. Do you think that the rapper that doesn't write his raps down is going to just up and stop thinking of them? Does Celine Dion sing in the shower? Yes, of course! And you know Jay-Z's ass is rhyming in the shower too!

But beyond all of this, let's just say I am wrong. Say Jay just got the "rapping bug" and wanted to jump on a few remixes and that's it. Let's say that the Dynasty 2 thing is just a rumor, nothing more, and a false one at that. Let's say this all just a series of red herrings and that a new album is not going to happen, ever. Dude, listen. Beyond all of this speculation, here is the ultimate reason as to why there will be a Jay-Z record by the end of the year. Drumroll, please......

HE'S THE PRESIDENT OF FUCKING DEF JAM!

Yo! If Def Jam's fiscal year looks like shit, guess who's ASS it is. Jay-Fuckin-Shawn-Carter-Z, motherfuckers! Come on - you think he wanted to do a remix for Young Fucking Jeezy of all people?!?! No, he did it to create some buzz for this half-talent's album! So what do you think he is going to do when Def Jam's gotta show and prove in the fourth quarter? He's gonna drop an album! It's his fucking job now! He has to. The biggest rapper runs the biggest rap label, and you think they are going to let him sit at his desk with his arms folded like "nah, I don't feel like making an album, this year."

Pure speculation on my part.... or is it? Interestingly enough, we saw Jay-Z's new "Dynasty" on the cover of XXL a few month's back. Wouldn't that be something if he recorded another group album, this time with Kanye, Memph, Foxy, Aztec, and the rest?

Expect an announcement soon. - Pizzo

:D

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
Re: Hiphopsite Editorial: WHY THERE WILL BE A JAY-Z ALBUM THIS YEAR.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:28:37 PM »
Haha, that`s true...i think the whole retiring thing was a gimmick.. I mean from a popular rapper, a "retirement" album = plat, and then a "comeback!" album = plat..

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
jay z would go plat regardless if its his last or comeback album

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:26:25 PM »
oh shit props thnx fo the lookout Jome. The Black Album is one of the few albums i bought thinking it was his last  :-\ but i guess ima buy this one too and ya his verse on Go Crazy is doooppee  8)