Author Topic: I HATE movie trailers now.  (Read 186 times)

Trauma-san

I HATE movie trailers now.
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
They are now RUINING movies with the trailers.  I saw Redeye, and it would have been a great movie, had I not known that Cillian Murphy's character was in charge of her dad being kidnapped.  I dunno how they could have covered that up, but the trailers give away WAYYY too much. 

Another one I noticed recently is the trailer to King Kong.  HORRIBLY edited.  They start off really good, until about 30 seconds in you have no idea what the movie is about.  There's a huge roar, and then a ton of natives, everything is SO COOL, then they ruin it, by showing a shot, edited in, of King Kong running around in manhattan throwing cars everywhere.

Why didn't they just build up the suspense, cut that scene out, cut the scene out where it shows him grab her, cut out the scene where it shows him fighting in the jungle, cut out the scene where it shows his eyes, and build suspense the entire trailer.  At the end of the trailer, leave in that great scene with the Tyrannosarus or whatever chasing her, then show the stegasoarus hunting her down... and all of a sudden, out of nowhere King Kong jumps in and roars at him, then it cuts off and goes to credits, leaving the audience amazed.  I mean the shots already there, but they fuck it up by showing you, too soon, that it's a movie about King Kong. 

Another one is that movie where Reese Witherspoon plays a ghost.  They've showed 2 or 3 trailers, and gave away almost every funny gag that's likely to be in the movie.  What the fuck? 

mauzip

Re: I HATE movie trailers now.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:09:24 PM »

Another one I noticed recently is the trailer to King Kong. 

I noticed one (two if you wouldn't know it's one person) of my neighbors plays in that movie.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 06:14:15 PM »
If they would have gone the Godzilla I think some people will just be turned off by it

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
I never realized Tom Jones looks so much like Ric Flair now.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:17:56 PM »
Yep, they ruin almost every comedy's punchlines.  One thing that was tite was Wedding Crashers, because they basically used the first 5 minutes of the movie as the trailer, and didnt ruin the rest of it.

Sikotic™

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
That's what I liked about the War of the Worlds trailer. It never gave away images of the tripods or aliens, just the devastation they caused, which is fine because it intrigues you. I couldn't agree more though, trailers can ruin movies. Some trailers happen to be better than the movie itself.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:22:36 PM »
Another thing I've noticed, and this is hard to explain, but sometimes they make up plots in the trailers, that aren't even in the movie, by editing the audio. 

For instance, they'll have, in the movie, someone will say about like their kid's grandparents or something

"They took her to school, she'll be back in a little while"

then later the same guy will say to someone who fucked up his order at Starbucks

"All I want is for someone to listen"

Then in the trailer, they'll show a bunch of people with guns, and edit it together to say "They Took her, All I Want is for someone to listen!"

And that's not even what the fuck he was talking about when he said "They took her".  Then you watch the movie and that lines not even in it, because it doesn't exist.  It's hard to explain but I catch it all the time anymore. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:24:48 PM by Trauma »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 06:41:41 PM »
remember when season 2 of Chappelle show was running and at the end of every episode they show a clip of the following week's episode, well u guys remember the week before the Rick James one, they showed the FiverFingers/Slap joke...the whole sketch was funny as fuck but it just would have been funnier if they didnt show it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 06:46:37 PM »
could hardly agree more, movie trailers nowadays give away way too much if you can put 2 and 2 together. I don't even know what they thinkin makin trailers like that. fuckin weird-asses. I dont know what it is called but there's one movie in a plane with some psycho and a nice woman and her dad is about to die. the trailer of this movie gave away pretty much the whole plot, at the beginnin of the trailer I was like "hmm, maybe Im going to see that" but in the end I was like "yo I pretty much just saw the whole movie, so why bother". motherfuckers.

edit:
Another thing I've noticed, and this is hard to explain, but sometimes they make up plots in the trailers, that aren't even in the movie, by editing the audio.

that's true as fuck too.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

WestCoasta

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
Yep, they ruin almost every comedy's punchlines.
hell yeah, it sucks when they play a funny line in the trailer and you see it so much in commericals that is kills it  :-\

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 08:34:22 PM »
could hardly agree more, movie trailers nowadays give away way too much if you can put 2 and 2 together. I don't even know what they thinkin makin trailers like that. fuckin weird-asses. I dont know what it is called but there's one movie in a plane with some psycho and a nice woman and her dad is about to die. the trailer of this movie gave away pretty much the whole plot, at the beginnin of the trailer I was like "hmm, maybe Im going to see that" but in the end I was like "yo I pretty much just saw the whole movie, so why bother". motherfuckers.

^ That's the one I was talking about at the beginning, Redeye.  Ruined the whole movie by cluing you in that the guy was a psycho. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 09:00:08 PM »
Red Eye would of been so much better if that dude was just thought of as a regular passenger at the beginning, seriously. If you read a book, that's how it would of been.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 09:21:50 PM »
i think that people should make movies and then make a trailer to do with something completely different, like a ww2 movie and the trailer has aliens and shit in it. that would be cool

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 03:04:23 AM »
And that's not even what the fuck he was talking about when he said "They took her".  Then you watch the movie and that lines not even in it, because it doesn't exist.  It's hard to explain but I catch it all the time anymore. 

I know what you mean. It happened in the Bourne Supremacy trailer too: they kind of copied & pasted Damon's lines to make it fit in the right dialogue, but in the movie, that line was nowhere to be found. It was similar, but not the exact line as in the trailer.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 03:42:32 AM »
Thats why i try and not watch trailers.....unless im forced to like at the theater.